condi ranger: untamed vs soulbeast?

Lynx.9058

48 minutes ago, InsaneQR.7412 said:

In regard of DPS SLB is still better. But in terms of utility i honestly dont know.

Which utility? CC? Pretty worthless on its own and it is not like soulbeast or druid are lacking in this regard. Support? Compareable to core ranger, so at the bottom of the barrel. Boon rip? Thats pretty much the only thing is has over other ranger specs, however neither quality nor quantity were impressive and other classes can do it better while bringing more to the table overall. Want dmg - go slb. Want utility - go druid (in PvE anyway). Want both - play another class i guess.

Untamed is just too similar to core. On one side i like it, because i enjoy playing core ranger and i've also had a lot of fun messing arround with Untamed during the (second) beta. However it is also very limiting. There is a reason why unranked/ranked sPvP is pretty much the only place where core ranger is decent. Organised high lvl PvP? Nope. PvE? Nope. WvW? Nope. Don't see that being different for Untamed if they stick with the current design (which i hate to see, because on paper is offers exactly what i wanted for ranger).

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Like 1

@UmbraNoctis.1907

I mean CC is worth while. Also teleport, projectile deflects, good condi cleanse and damage mitigation. Also AoE which soulbeast lacks.

If i need the utility of a druid but dont wanna waste a traitline for a support centered spec, i would take Untamed tbf. It has projectile hate, boon hate, good mobility and AoE. Its a bit best of both world to some degree but it does not provide enough group support as the other two and is more self centered. Also the ability to control your pet and teleport it is really good but honestly should be a core feature. Untamed needs more to be fleshed out and set itself apart from core.

It definetly needs some tweaks, but saying it lacks utility isnt really fair. Saying its not quite fleshed out is though.

Edited by InsaneQR.7412
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, InsaneQR.7412 said:

@UmbraNoctis.1907

I mean CC is worth while. Also teleport, projectile deflects, good condi cleanse and damage mitigation. Also AoE which soulbeast lacks.

If i need the utility of a druid but dont wanna waste a traitline for a support centered spec, i would take Untamed tbf. It has projectile hate, boon hate, good mobility and AoE. Its a bit best of both world to some degree but it does not provide enough group support as the other two and is more self centered. Also the ability to control your pet and teleport it is really good but honestly should be a core feature. Untamed needs more to be fleshed out and set itself apart from core.

It definetly needs some tweaks, but saying it lacks utility isnt really fair. Saying its not quite fleshed out is though.

You got plenty of CC in smokescale knockdown (SLB F1) / gazelle headbutt (F2) and Path of Scars + Hilt Balt. Stance share is also superior to any utility Untamed might provide currently.

Untamed might see play in PvP for its boon corruption ability, if the meta remains any similar to what it is now.

Edited by NorthernRedStar.3054
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, InsaneQR.7412 said:

@UmbraNoctis.1907

The teleport is nice, but requiring a target limits its utility. It is mainly a gap closer. Similar applies to projectile deflect. Nice but not something your bring a class for, that does not offer much in addition (i mean just compare it to scrapper or fb or tempest - all those classes bring better projectile denial on top of far superior utility overall). Survivability (cleansing/mitigation) isn't really higher than on other ranger specs, at least if your goal is to retain some offensive capabilities. Dolyak Stance alone provides better survivability AND utility (via stance share) than basically the entire Untamed kit, in WvW in particular. And dealing aoe dmg is another thing that slb does much better (mainly because it is better at dealing dmg in general). Untamed does not really have good aoe dmg and i still take a good prelude lash combo over pretty much any aoe cc/dmg combo Untamed can provide. Quality > Quantity.

• Like 1