Potential new playable races' cities

Ninutra.7926

Yeah, a new race's looks are cool to think about and all, but have you thought about their CITIES? 
Imo cities are big factor contributing to a race's coolness - a way to show off their culture, their way of life. And while there was plenty a talk about the looks and mechanics of a race, I want you to share your ideas for their cities and/or starting zones, and which race you would be most excided about just based on that. 
That being said, I know a new race is unrealistic. But some fun fantasising can't hurt! 

I think skritt or kodan would definitely take the cake, both races proving that they can build monumental structures. I wouldn't mind a kodan city, actually floating and moving somewhere in the northern waters, perhaps spread over a couple of sanctuaries instead of one. Maybe they would carry with them/be connected to a big quaggan city/district as well. Kodan architecture is super distinct already, and they seem to have a lot of thing going on the technological side, so it would tick off their city having a unique feel. Perhaps their starting zone could either be a landing OR yet another (very problem-ridden) sanctuary. 

When it comes to skritt, a full-blown capital (official-er than Skrittsburgh) could show off their own style and tech -  besides the amalgom of stolen stuff. If more skritt = more smart, I can imagine them defying all expectations and forming some stunning artworks and efficient tech. Now, would it be used for anything else then hoarding and managing shinies? Perhaps not.
I, for one, would look forward to entire districts of proper shinies museums with walls of gold. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I agree, I think it’s pretty interesting to imagine what those races’ starting maps/cities could look like.

I imagine the Tengu area to be forest-like, full of bamboo and super pretty, and would be one I would look forward to exploring the most.

Quaggan could be underwater with those beautiful lanterns and cool tunnels or currents to take us to certain places faster (like ley-line but underwater - this was actually something that my boyfriend imagined and I immediately loved the idea). 

The Skritt area sounds pretty interesting too, especially considering how we could perhaps use scrap pieces to get access to new areas? 

For the Kodan, loved your ideas. Just knowing there would be ice would be enough for me to like it 😄

Edited by TheLadyOfTheRings.9148
  • Like 1

I think it unlikely that skritt would ever be a playable race, because they have a hive mind, where they become more intelligent in greater numbers. This doesn't seem to be something that would allow a race to be playable imo.

I've seen new classes introduced into the game as well as new elite specs, but never a new race, unless this was done before I joined. A new race would/could mean a new starting  and certainly new personal stories. Anet seems unwilling to introduce anything new for low levels, instead concentrating on new max level content.

People severely underestimate the effort of retroactively fitting every single skin currently existing in-game into a new mesh of a new playable race (with three weights of armor for each skin, plus weight-exclusive ones), plus the future work of having an extra skin to mesh every time you release any update to the game (and the Charr alone are already pretty difficult to model for, let alone if you add Kodan and/or Tengu into the mix, just to mention a couple). I only say this to emphasize, another playable race in GW2 is a bit more than unrealistic, it's also probably counterproductive and they are gladly spending resources into more sustainable areas of gameplay, such as the incoming fishing which is "the same" for every race, mounts and so on. They even did away "in practice" with racial skills, being severely underpowered, just to make sure things are homogeneous as possible.

With this said, we are yet to see "full cities" of quite some of the significant factions that were already presented in GW2, and that would be nice to have! Really hoping we get much, much more lore on the Largos for instance, perhaps even their homeland on the northern section of the Unending Ocean. Likewise it would be nice to see a big proper quaggan settlement or even better, their abandoned homeland (even better if a reclaimed quaggan homeland like Siren's Landing is to Orr, but a bit unlikely). Dominion of Winds is an obvious one too: Tengus don't need to be a playable race for their homeland to become available as a full map - even if a LW map with events and so on. Grothmar works pretty well and it's just some place in the Blood Legion homelands that is not in particular grave danger at the moment we visit it.

• Thanks 3

On 12/25/2021 at 4:01 AM, Hannelore.8153 said:

There's already a Skritt city in the game, Skrittsburgh. I'd find it confusing if players don't remember this since one of the DRMs took place there not too long ago.

We know, don't worry 🙂 We're talking about a hypothetical totally made-up starting area/city for those races.  

• Like 2

On 12/25/2021 at 6:52 AM, Serynna.3786 said:

I think it unlikely that skritt would ever be a playable race, because they have a hive mind, where they become more intelligent in greater numbers. This doesn't seem to be something that would allow a race to be playable imo.

They could make the character several Skritt who move together and work in tandem. There was a game called Allods Online that had a race called the gibberlings that worked this way. Your character was three little furry critters that shared armor and were animated to execute skills as a team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's to hoping the tengu will be playable and maybe the dwarfs. I do t get why the dwarfs could not be playable instead of written off as all stone. That just never made sense my brother thinks the writes didn't want to add dwarfs and stuff like armor skins and voices actors is one thing.

3 hours ago, Telwyn.1630 said:

Here's to hoping the tengu will be playable and maybe the dwarfs. I do t get why the dwarfs could not be playable instead of written off as all stone.

they didnt bother adding tengu back with hot, even tho they made new models and rigging for them back then. and dwarfs whent out the window the momebt they made them norn on a novelty with an infusion.

some are also forgetting that a new race dosnt just need a own capital, it also needs the personal story up to the orders, and then we cone to the problem with the concistency.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Telwyn.1630 said:

Here's to hoping the tengu will be playable and maybe the dwarfs. I do t get why the dwarfs could not be playable instead of written off as all stone. That just never made sense my brother thinks the writes didn't want to add dwarfs and stuff like armor skins and voices actors is one thing.

Anet intentionally removed the dwarves since they wanted to use more unique races, both playable and unplayable, than the usual elf-dwarf-orc-etc. that many fantasy rpgs use.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Anet intentionally removed the dwarves since they wanted to use more unique races, both playable and unplayable, than the usual elf-dwarf-orc-etc. that many fantasy rpgs use.

They could still add dwarfs I'm sure they could have done so besides everyone would play all 5 the other races besides dwarfs the same with the tengu

21 minutes ago, Telwyn.1630 said:

They could still add dwarfs I'm sure they could have done so besides everyone would play all 5 the other races besides dwarfs the same with the tengu

🤦‍♂️

The point is that they don't WANT to have dwarves, they went through the effort removing them from the world setting on purpose.  And even if they changed their mind and made dwarves or the Tengu into a playable race it would be a multiple year effort that would eat up most of their resources and time with a very uncertain payoff.  Creating multiple models, all the varying facial options and hairtyles (plus feather patterns in the case of Tengu), then hours of new voice work for both male and female characters, and re-making every single existing armor piece and outfit set to fit the new models, etc. etc. etc.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 1

Most likely if it were to happen it be after the story of the game was done being progressed then yeah I could see them focus on adding new races. Everything you listed is what would have to happen, their also the fact each new race has a homecity and all that fun stuff. It can all be done with time. But that's just it take time.

• Like 1

Here’s my pitch;

Tengu: The Dominion of Winds: a giant walled city in the Sea of Sorrows, the Tengu first settled there a century ago after the event they called the Great Tsunami, but was actually the rise of Zhaitain. The Tengu have become isolationist since founding the Dominion, but now open the doors for the first time.

Kodan: Sanctuary: the largest Kodan settlement ever seen, the floating city is simply called ‘Sanctuary’.  It is a massive iceberg with an entire civilization built atop it, including a huge frozen tree at the center of the Kodan’s town. Originally located farther north than anyone in Tyria has ever heard of, the settlement has moved south like all Kodan sanctuaries.

Largos: Houses of Tethyos: the main underwater city of the Largos territory recently discovered by the outside world, the city is a maze of swimming tunnels and chambers, air pocket rooms and completely submerged buildings.  The Largos can breathe either air or water but favor water, having built their civilization on the ocean floor.

Dwarves: The Mines of Moladune: with Primordus dead, the stone dwarves are emerging from the Depths back into a world that has long since moved on from them.  Their former capital, Thunderhead Peak, was ruined a second time by Kralkatorrik and is now a Pact outpost.  With nowhere to go, the Dwarves begin to gather around the Mines of Moladune more than anywhere else, falling into their old habits of mining into the depths, as if they can simply pick up where they left off.

Just a few of my ideas, I also have an idea for a new race but I figure I’ve made up enough random lore for now with all the city stuff (except Tengu is all real and Dwarven is mostly real)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fenom.9457 said:

Dwarves: The Mines of Moladune: with Primordus dead, the stone dwarves are emerging from the Depths back into a world that has long since moved on from them.  Their former capital, Thunderhead Peak, was ruined a second time by Kralkatorrik and is now a Pact outpost.  With nowhere to go, the Dwarves begin to gather around the Mines of Moladune more than anywhere else, falling into their old habits of mining into the depths, as if they can simply pick up where they left off.

As is the Thunderhead Parks map, specifically the forge part, and the giant room we fight Kralk in, are right were Moladune was said to be. It covers the like lower 1/3 of the Moladune map from GW1.

• Like 1