Left-Handed Animations

faroguy.1407

As a left-handed person, I have come to accept that the world is designed for the 90% that is right-handed. But I thought I'd ask anyway.

When playing my human engineer, I sometimes get very disoriented when using a pistol or sword as the main weapon, because the main weapon is always in the right hand. Frankly, I don't know if I can communicate how strongly it hits me. It seems like a lot of work to invert every animation for every character, but having a toggle for left-handed animations would really, really improve my quality of play.

Thanks.

• Like 6
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

This is really a non-issue and seems like nothing else than just looking for the reason to pretend there are problems where there are none. I could maaaaaybe potentially see it as more meaningful in fps games due to some general eye-hand coordination in relation to aiming, but here? No, not really.

...how exactly are you getting disoriented by that? Not only you know what you've equipped, but you can also see your skill bar all the time you're using it.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 7

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

This is really a non-issue and seems like nothing else than just looking for the reason to pretend there are problems where there are none. I could maaaaaybe potentially see it as more meaningful in fps games due to some general eye-hand coordination in relation to aiming, but here? No, not really.

...how exactly are you getting disoriented by that? Not only you know what you've quipped, but you can also see your skill bar all the time you're using it.

You mean you don't spend the vast majority of combat staring at your own character's hands? 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

...how exactly are you getting disoriented by that? Not only you know what you've equipped, but you can also see your skill bar all the time you're using it.

Well if OP says it’s an issue for them it’s because it is. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

I can't put myself into it at all and therefore don't really understand what exactly the problem is. So a few questions.

How exactly do you play such games as a left-handed player? I guess you just change the keyboard layout, or are there keyboards for that?
I absolutely don't know how much effort this would be for anet, so I won't say anything about it. But I would be interested in knowing more.

2 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

I can't put myself into it at all and therefore don't really understand what exactly the problem is. So a few questions.

How exactly do you play such games as a left-handed player? I guess you just change the keyboard layout, or are there keyboards for that?
I absolutely don't know how much effort this would be for anet, so I won't say anything about it. But I would be interested in knowing more.

If I understood OP correctly, they're suggesting an option that allows us to switch our character's main- and off-hand. So for example, if I wanted my Ranger to be left-handed, I'd give her the warhorn to her right-hand and the main-handed weapon to her left-hand. Again, this is assuming I understood you right, OP 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

EDIT: I don't understand the confused emoji here.  It's a simple question: what other MMOs offer this as an option?  I can't think of any.

The confused emoji is just being abused as a downvote option. The vast majority of the people using it aren't actually confused.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Are there any other MMOs which have this option?

EDIT: I don't understand the confused emoji here.  It's a simple question: what other MMOs offer this as an option?  I can't think of any.

This would be more likely in games will less customization and more unique(with respect to other characters available for the game) characters. Even more so if the weapons are unique to each character because in that case everything is unique anyway.

Not sure what you would consider a MMO but the Templar in Path of Exile is left handed which has caused problems for the dev team over the years even though the only customization is the equipped weapon.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks, but I mean are there any other MMO games which give the player the option to play as a left or right handed character with the avatar using the appropriate handed-ness for that option.  I can't think of any and can't fathom why a game studio would spend resources to do such a thing.  I can't imagine that it would be so popular of a request to justify it.

But ... if there are games which offer this as an option, I'm curious to know what one or ones.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

Well if OP says it’s an issue for them it’s because it is. 

I'm asking how. Because for now it sounds like a completely made up ""reasoning"" for the sake of pretending this impacts anyone in any way at all, while it doesn't even make sense in the first place (as far as I can see it, which is why I'm asking for clarification). Your answer didn't clear up anything, so... 🤷‍♂️ 

5 hours ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

If I understood OP correctly, they're suggesting an option that allows us to switch our character's main- and off-hand. So for example, if I wanted my Ranger to be left-handed, I'd give her the warhorn to her right-hand and the main-handed weapon to her left-hand. Again, this is assuming I understood you right, OP 🙂 

Yes and this is a non-issue. Pretending that "how my character holds weapons makes me disoriented", as if I somehow keep forgetting what weapons I equipped and/or can't see the skills on my skill bar is pretty bizarre. It really doesn't matter if my character starts holding the weapons with their feet, we all know what we've equipped anyways. As I said above, this looks like such a forced/made up complaint, so I'd like to understand it better in case I'm somehow wrong here -the answer "he says it's an issue so it is!" doesn't really help anyone here.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Confused 6

13 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Are there any other MMOs which have this option?

I think Matrix Online (yes, really old, dead mmo) had this. I'm not completely sure though, maybe I'm misremembering...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

pretending this impacts anyone in any way at all,

this is a non-issue

this looks like such a forced/made up complaint

Such frightfully Grentchy behavior. OP politely expressed the issue they, personally, are having, acknowledged they are in a minority, and provided a suggestion for something that could help them better enjoy the game. I see nothing offensive or demanding in the OP's post, so I'm not sure where all this negative energy is coming from.

Seems like you're

On 12/24/2021 at 4:43 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

just looking for the reason to pretend there are problems where there are none

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

15 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Neither.  It's about muscle memory.  Which hand is dominant doesn't matter too much, because when you learn to do split tasks you tend to teach which hand to perform which task, regardless.  For example, there's a few doors in my house that I can't unlock with my right hand, simply because I carry groceries with the right and thus would use keys in my left.  I can also only manipulate a joystick well on my left.  It may seem backwards to the rest of the world, but while you're wondering how they manipulate a mouse with their off-hand, they're wondering how you manipulate the keys with your off-hand.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I'm asking how. Because for now it sounds like a completely made up ""reasoning"" for the sake of pretending this impacts anyone in any way at all, while it doesn't even make sense in the first place (as far as I can see it, which is why I'm asking for clarification). Your answer didn't clear up anything, so... 🤷‍♂️ 

Yes and this is a non-issue. Pretending that "how my character holds weapons makes me disoriented", as if I somehow keep forgetting what weapons I equipped and/or can't see the skills on my skill bar is pretty bizarre. It really doesn't matter if my character starts holding the weapons with their feet, we all know what we've equipped anyways. As I said above, this looks like such a forced/made up complaint, so I'd like to understand it better in case I'm somehow wrong here -the answer "he says it's an issue so it is!" doesn't really help anyone here.

You'd like to understand something you're already rejecting by saying "this is a non-issue". If you can't contribute to this discussion maybe this isn't the topic for you 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

Neither.  It's about muscle memory.  Which hand is dominant doesn't matter too much, because when you learn to do split tasks you tend to teach which hand to perform which task, regardless.  For example, there's a few doors in my house that I can't unlock with my right hand, simply because I carry groceries with the right and thus would use keys in my left.  I can also only manipulate a joystick well on my left.  It may seem backwards to the rest of the world, but while you're wondering how they manipulate a mouse with their off-hand, they're wondering how you manipulate the keys with your off-hand.  

True. Being right- or left-handed is much more complex than the hand you write with.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Such frightfully Grentchy behavior. OP politely expressed the issue they, personally, are having, acknowledged they are in a minority, and provided a suggestion for something that could help them better enjoy the game. I see nothing offensive or demanding in the OP's post, so I'm not sure where all this negative energy is coming from.

Except I'm asking how it can possibly confuse anyone and I still didn't receive any relevant answer. Instead I've got 2 people bent on defending OP by any means as if I'm somehow insulting him or who knows what else 🤷‍♂️ It should be an easy question to respond if it really is an issue. But as far as I can see, it just isn't and your/theladyofther non-responses just reinforce me in that belief.

Seems like you're

[just looking for the reason to pretend there are problems where there are none ]

Funny how you're trying to suggest asking for clarification ("how exactly are you getting disoriented by that?") is somehow looking for a reason to pretend there are problems. Still waiting for actual response, though.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

You'd like to understand something you're already rejecting by saying "this is a non-issue". If you can't contribute to this discussion maybe this isn't the topic for you 🙂 

Yup, I am trying to understand that since I know I can be missing something here, but for some weird reason I still didn't get any response. Meanwhile you're hopping riding in on a white horse to ""save"" someone from answering the question and still provide nothing.

I am saying it's a non-issue, because for now everything points at it being a non-issue. "everything" being my own experience and knowledge as well as your -and others- inability to respond the question, while you're also actively jumping in before OP can even respond by himself. It's... a rather interesting approach. Almost as if you understand it really is a non-issue and just run from the facts. 🤔 (because, again, if those are not facts, then why is there still no answers?)

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Yup, I am trying to understand that since I know I can be missing something here, but for some weird reason I still didn't get any response. Meanwhile you're hopping riding in on a white horse to ""save"" someone from answering the question and still provide nothing.

I am saying it's a non-issue, because for now everything points at it being a non-issue. "everything" being my own experience and knowledge as well as your -and others- inability to respond the question, while you're also actively jumping in before OP can even respond by himself. It's... a rather interesting approach. Almost as if you understand it really is a non-issue and just run from the facts. 🤔 (because, again, if those are not facts, then why is there still no answers?)

I'll try to explain. OP is sharing an issue for them. I can't confirm if this is what they're saying, but from what I understood, they're asking for the option to make our character left-handed, meaning the off-hand weapon (e.g. shield) will be in their right-hand, and the main-hand weapon on the left-hand. OP isn't saying this is a huge issue and the world will end if nothing changes, it's just a personal issue they're sharing. 

Edited by TheLadyOfTheRings.9148
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5