Duo Q Issues

ixon.2496

Bringing back 5 man ranked queue.  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How would you feel about opening ranked back up?

• I'm for it.
    • I'm against it.
    • I'm indifferent.

5 man Q was initially removed due to population/one sided matches. With the current 2 man Q it doesn't foster good teamplay, promotes toxicity of random teammates and we still have 100 - 500 one sided matches. 

I understand we have automated tournaments for 5 man, but those are time gated, difficult to get a full team practice for due to having to play unranked and require having a consistent team available.

With the current state of PvP some changes need to be made to promote and improve match quality and team play.

Edited by ixon.2496
Title

• ixon.2496 changed the title to Duo Q Issues
38 minutes ago, ixon.2496 said:

For those against the idea, what reasons are you against being able to choose your team in a team based game mode? Would you not prefer to filter out the toxicity on your own and get better as a group? 

I don't want to play in a pre made team in ranked. I like the flexibility and convenience of solo queue. I don't want to form a static team, search for team mates, or have anyone have a preference for what build I will play. I don't want to face pre mades when I am solo queue.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

i said it many times, this could be a mini season thing, 5 man only q, solo q only, merged team and solo.

to do this in normla ranked it would have to be solo q and team q, group sizes 2,3 and 5, with also their own leaderboards.

This would still be problematic as it already have in other games like lol, where 5 man had 70% winrate against teams of 2 + 3

10 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

The matches already are too lopsided.

It's doesn't need to get even worse by five Platinum+ players teaming up together.

I'd argue the reason they are so lopsided is because players can't improve on their teamplay through duo queue. It promotes selfish play, *its everyone else's fault* mentality in ranked since its a coin toss what type of person you get on your teams.

I do think 5 man allowed mini seasons would create great space for AT practice and building peoples Pug communication and teamwork.

Overall i'd say it isn't just that the PvP player base attracts toxic players, GW2 has an amazingly supportive community on the whole. I feel the current structure of randomized teams has fostered the toxic mindset or at least has done nothing to alleviate it

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ixon.2496 said:

I'd argue the reason they are so lopsided is because players can't improve on their teamplay through duo queue. It promotes selfish play, *its everyone else's fault* mentality in ranked since its a coin toss what type of person you get on your teams.

The reason the matches are so lopsided is the low amount of players. This forces the match maker to match players of vastly different ranks. Taking players, who queue in groups of five, out of the algorithm will only exacerbate this.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

The reason the matches are so lopsided is the low amount of players. This forces the match maker to match players of vastly different ranks. Taking players, who queue in groups of five, out of the algorithm will only exacerbate this.

The way the system is now will never allow the population to grow either since people are unable to play with friends to improve their rank, leading to demotivation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ixon.2496 said:

For those against the idea, what reasons are you against being able to choose your team in a team based game mode? Would you not prefer to filter out the toxicity on your own and get better as a group? 

Any p3 group would literally farm everyone. Just look at ATs you at best get one decent game in finals.

• Like 3

To agree to something like this I would want to know the way the logic would work for match pairings. Because all 5 man teams are not created equal. Not to mention it would be a constant "looking for Plat + players" in LFG  and players that were not as good would have trouble finding a team. So what I fear is that it would just be the same few teams playing each other over and over again with very little disparity. To me that seems pretty boring and would discourage growth in the PvP community even more so than the current paring system does now.

The win loss system is the problem because the "rewards" you get for winning compared to losing is so great it tends to tilt people when they fill like they are going to lose causing people to yell at one another and AFKin the respawn.

People need to be rewarded for playing in general and not feel like they are wasting their time. Ive had nights where I have won every match and was on top of the world because I was getting big gains in my rank. But I've also had nights where I've lost every match and thought to myself why do I play this game mode...

Middle ground must be met so people feel inspired to keep playing despite having a bad team. My not so deeply thought out suggestion would be is give the same amount of XP to both winning and losing teams and give pip totals depending on player rank (rabbit - dragon) like WvW.  Then the winning team get an xtra chest of loot ( or something better) to congratulate them for winning.

I'm not saying get rid of the badge system bronze through legendary we definitely need something to keep matchmaking somewhat equal on some basis. But do we really need to remind people or show people how much they are gaining or losing per match?  Showing people how much they lost tends  to  amp up anxiety and escalate people. Why not just show them their badge and call it a day and if it does switch then so be it just do not show the movement. I feel this would help people not focus as much when they lose a match. Even I get a bit down when I see that I lost 16 points because I had a person afk mid match. I know its sorta like shoving a mess into a closet but at least in the closet your not reminded of it as much.

But to bring this home it comes down to team morale and no matter what type of pre made group 2's, 3's, 4's, and 5's will not change how the losing team reacts to the loss. Because one team is always going through some turmoil while taking that loss. So if we could make them feel like it was a learning experience and not have some enraged player yelling at them (as much) may help them continue to play the game mode and get better.

So good people grouping up with one another when population numbers for the game mode is low may not be the best option for recruiting new people and keeping current mediocre people playing with the mode in its current state.

• Like 2

Like in many other other games there is a Group Q Ranked matchmaking, so you can Q with your friend against other premade groups, and a Solo Q where players cannot be in a group.

Would be great to add that to Gw2, problem is right now Legendary players are Q with gold players, platinum with silvers, because of the super low population.

As a s3 g1 player I got lot of matchs against players with over 1700 elo and in the top 10, it is just how it is.

Anet don't care of pvp, we have the same gamemode since beta, always the same stupid 3 cap thing.

Yeah they added 2vs2 and 3vs3, which are also ruined by premades and impossible to pug.

They need to revamp pvp completely, add new gamemode and then we can talk about anything, right now we cannot...

4 hours ago, ovenglove.9528 said:

I don't want to play in a pre made team in ranked. I like the flexibility and convenience of solo queue. I don't want to form a static team, search for team mates, or have anyone have a preference for what build I will play. I don't want to face pre mades when I am solo queue.

So then... don't? Premades should only fight premades. You realise duo's don't only fight duo's right now correct? 
The system we have now is worse then 5man premades. The system we have now puts you against 2 duo'ing Necro's or a Necro/Guardian who can solo your team of solo's and the match. 
Do people just not realise this? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, grx.8714 said:

Like in many other other games there is a Group Q Ranked matchmaking, so you can Q with your friend against other premade groups, and a Solo Q where players cannot be in a group.

Would be great to add that to Gw2, problem is right now Legendary players are Q with gold players, platinum with silvers, because of the super low population.

As a s3 g1 player I got lot of matchs against players with over 1700 elo and in the top 10, it is just how it is.

Anet don't care of pvp, we have the same gamemode since beta, always the same stupid 3 cap thing.

Yeah they added 2vs2 and 3vs3, which are also ruined by premades and impossible to pug.

They need to revamp pvp completely, add new gamemode and then we can talk about anything, right now we cannot...

Exactly, the main issue with GW2 pvp, is that the pvp scene is dead. No one is really playing it, causing massive ranked unbalances. Unless it gets massively overhauled, it will stay dead. They need to revamp it from the ground up, and the amount of work this would take is most likely why GW2's pvp scene will stay dead. 

34 minutes ago, Gorem.8104 said:

So then... don't? Premades should only fight premades. You realise duo's don't only fight duo's right now correct? 
The system we have now is worse then 5man premades. The system we have now puts you against 2 duo'ing Necro's or a Necro/Guardian who can solo your team of solo's and the match. 
Do people just not realise this? 

With 5 premades, you also have the chance that they steam roll over five solo queuers on the other team.

And if the five premades only get to fight other five premades, it potentially takes too many players away from the duo/solo pool, causing the queue times to rise even more and potential causing the mode to wither away even quicker.

What Arenanet would need to do to revitalize sPvP is changing how the professions work. But that'd require Arenanet to employ  an actual developer team for sPvP, instead of simply having one person fiddling with numbers a few times a year.

System changes won't do any good, if the gameplay for decent PvP is not there.

Edited by Fueki.4753

47 minutes ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Having 2-3 legend+ teams all que dodge each other with 100% win rates would help the pvp population how? In gw2s current state 5 man ques would just make more problems than it would solve.

In EU right now there are 4 people in legend rank.  Not even enough for one team. At least with 5 man, even off season 5 man, people can aim to climb there and genuinely influence their chances with communication, chosen team comp and strategy. 

This dice roll of team composition and random teammate quality removes so much of the players ability to influence the outcome. That isn't competitive. There is only so much you can do to carry a team to victory, and thats without afk/throwers tipping the scales. 

As it stands the ladder it completely pointless. And its not due to population size,  it's by design.