Revamp PvP Deleting Conquest Mode

grx.8714

I know this might upset lot of top PvP players who tryhard PvP every minute of the day, but the population is super low and I am tired of being matched with bronze/silver players while I am on plat1.

The gamemode is simply too difficult to understand for random pugs.

Zero knowledge of rotations because the game doesn't explain it, zero knowledge of class roles, people running support specs and roam alone for the map.

Conquest is in it's current state since PvP launch, and if new players cannot understand it and even lot of times veteran players( I hear a lot, oh no you shouldn't have rotated far that situation, while another guy said I did good, and in the end nobody really knows what was correct to do.

Introduce completely new gamemodes where the objectives are easy to understand, cap a flag and bring it to your home node to get points, pure deathmatches, cap random spawning nodes around the map and hold them till they disappear into another location, similar to Elder Scrolls Online battlegrounds PvP.

Make unique skins account bound as addition rewards, plus items that are good also for general PvE, so even new players are more inclined to spend time in PvP as well, and most of them will stay and contribute to maintain a healthy population.

Right now buffs/nerfs and balances are not even worth to talk, if there are no players playing, what's the point of doing them.

There are always the same 20 names winning every single daily AT and Monthly, always the same names at certain ranks Qs.

Top players always tryhard every single daily AT like their life depend on it, new players gets immediately discouraged by continuing playing wasting their time.

I know Anet won't do anything, coz they gotta promote the new PvE expansion as always, they will make crazy buffs to the new specs to see them used in PvP and that's it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

I am actually totally convinced that if Anet added more permanent game modes as an alternative to Conquest more people would play PvP, basically equalizing or maybe even surpassing the current population per queue - because we actually already have 3 different queues.. ranked Conquest, unranked Conquest and Stronghold (unranked conquest and stronghold sharing some users). Because I already know a couple guys who would actually think about coming back to the game if it wasn't only solo/duo Q conquest.
And if I already know several people (who's really not engaged in the community or knows a lot of people) then I'm sure there are tons more who would either come back or at least casually play sPvP more often.

This and the fact that literally everything apart from the reward track is tied to ranked and nothing else. You can't progress ANYTHING by playing Stronghold or Unranked Conquest. Neither achievements or titles nor ascended/legendary gear, actually worthwhile sums of gold, .. nothing.
The stuff tied to the actual ladder should obviously remain this way but I'm puzzled why nothing else counts towards any meaningful progress. If we only got half of the pips for playing unranked I'd already be satisfied and probably don't even bother with the toxic waste dump game mode that is ranked.
Stronghold and unranked conquest both are SOOO much less toxic and relaxed than ranked. Especially Stronghold because nobody plays it unless they really like to just PvP for fun.

Edited by DoomNexus.5324
  • Like 1

until anet can actually design working alternate modes, which they've told us with their actions they can't or most likely won't, we should only have conquest. hate to say it cuz i hate conquest but i can't imagine this game being nuked with broken modes along with all of the other problems. if for some reason they ever decide to create some working alt modes, we could vote on the mode like map vote if people are so concerned about the population being split up. maybe only do the vote thing for unranked actually and keep ranked conquest only for all the tryhards.

Edited by Stand The Wall.6987

On 2/6/2022 at 5:40 PM, grx.8714 said:

I know this might upset lot of top PvP players who tryhard PvP every minute of the day, but the population is super low and I am tired of being matched with bronze/silver players while I am on plat1.

I'm sure players who have played this game's pvp 6+ years and being high average can adapt new game rules then they will dominate 99% of players, nothing will change and you guys will complain alot.

Edited by pukish.5784

On 2/6/2022 at 9:40 AM, grx.8714 said:

Zero knowledge of rotations because the game doesn't explain it, zero knowledge of class roles, people running support specs and roam alone for the map.

Conquest is in it's current state since PvP launch, and if new players cannot understand it and even lot of times veteran players( I hear a lot, oh no you shouldn't have rotated far that situation, while another guy said I did good, and in the end nobody really knows what was correct to do.

Introduce completely new gamemodes where the objectives are easy to understand, cap a flag and bring it to your home node to get points, pure deathmatches, cap random spawning nodes around the map and hold them till they disappear into another location, similar to Elder Scrolls Online battlegrounds PvP.

Make unique skins account bound as addition rewards, plus items that are good also for general PvE, so even new players are more inclined to spend time in PvP as well, and most of them will stay and contribute to maintain a healthy population.

Right now buffs/nerfs and balances are not even worth to talk, if there are no players playing, what's the point of doing them.

There are always the same 20 names winning every single daily AT and Monthly, always the same names at certain ranks Qs.

Top players always tryhard every single daily AT like their life depend on it, new players gets immediately discouraged by continuing playing wasting their time.

I know Anet won't do anything, coz they gotta promote the new PvE expansion as always, they will make crazy buffs to the new specs to see them used in PvP and that's it.

The game is so optimised around conquest that no matter what new PvP gamemode you're trying to design, if it does not provide as many diverse role possibilites as conquest does, some classes will be left out. There has been many attempts over the decade, but nothing worked.

Just to take apart one of your ideas: CTF. This would be ruined by what constraints you put on the flag carrier. If there would be none, thieves would just stealth up and zoom-zoom with the flag. Now that's clearly bad design, you cannot let that happen. So you disable extra mobility and stealth for the flag carrier... and tadaa now support bunkers hog the flag(also thieves are now useless). And since the gamemode is not about killing, rather not dying with the flag, why not stack them? Half the team could be supports just stacking on each other spamming heals and keeping the flag carrier alive while moving towards scoring. So you choose to disable boon application and incoming healing for the flag carrier, so the meta is now bunkers spamming blocks/cleanses... final step: take away their skillbars, turning them into a normalised target practise golem. This works on Spirit Watch because orbing is a secondary objective there, but if you build the whole game around the flag, you cannot allow this.

So it might be easy to say "just add new gamemodes lol" well they tried and failed. So unless you can provide a detailed explanation on how to make another format work with GW2-s combat system and class balance, your idea of deleting the only working format from PvP is very very NoTsMArT.

Edited by Bazsi.2734
  • Like 2

Well ...

well ...

deathmach is boring to me. I'd leave PvP if conquest was removed. I agree on capture the flag game modes. They seem to have ruined Spirit Watch though - and removed it from ranked. And the capture points (conquest) have too much importance.

I whish they'd have turned this into something more capture-the-flag like. Even if it wasn't about stealing an enemy flag but capturing a neutral orb - but with conquest mode stuff completely disabled.

Turns out the people did not like it. This also would only work with premade groups. Cause it even relies on team composition more than the conquest only. (Which can be bad - with random groups.) Supporting skills can really be helpful here. But you can't even use superspeed or stuff (anymore) (I think certain skills had been allowed until they got disallowed) when carrying the orb - to avoid having imbalance if one team has a special setup where people just work together to get the best out of those skills - getting a huge advantage. (Which actually would be good and fun teamplay - imo.)

I'd be in favor of trying more different game modes. But just leaving them - even if it means "splitting the playerbase". Just add more achievements maybe ... lol. 😄

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Gamble.4580 said:

This is why there needs to be more promotion of pvp streamers. As its the only update form of understanding pvp being played on a players view, and it will teach anyone new pvp in no time to have some impact.

or it will teach new players how to moan, act superior and blame their team mates for hours on end.

• Haha 1