WB in WvW/zerg fights

quaniesan.8497

With the "willbender" under way, along with new exciting and super practical mechanics,  how would you go about to engage and survive fights in typical fight situations in WvW, and specifically zerg fight that can melt even the hardiest pets,   with the tools given to us?I feel like Virtue trait line is a mandatory for at least staying alive

Please don't say "use staff"  or "log in with your ranger"    .

Edited by quaniesan.8497

No u wont be able to do that, dont worry u will bend well  :}

Dont worry about the staff  just dont use the new elite spec..unless ur expecting to be carried by the omni zerg.

Joking asside, i would say u will have to run more core mixed with bender than bender itself, meditations will help alot, and proly sword shield or focus, hammer on bender has nice combos  felt  like i was playing street figthing or something, but stil bender suffers from what every EoD class suffers.. even a pve moa bird is stronger :).

Bender is the weakest class of all EoD classes.

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Like 1

Well frankly, I would say that due to the nature of flames, and the "per hit" virtues I could see willbender having a potential in melee train zergs.

Like to be fair zergs are last place I would be worried about for willbenders, since their whole design benefits greatly from target rich environment that zerg clashes are. It's small scale/roaming where I would be worried (as far as WvW at least goes)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Well frankly, I would say that due to the nature of flames, and the "per hit" virtues I could see willbender having a potential in melee train zergs.

yeh, except those flames tickle. And if you already find it hard to place a ground target aoe effectively normally due to zergs constantly shift positions and formation ,  just imagine these flames that require you yourself to be the missile to start it.  An environmental deer once dodged my WB flame.....by walking.

1 hour ago, quaniesan.8497 said:

yeh, except those flames tickle. And if you already find it hard to place a ground target aoe effectively normally due to zergs constantly shift positions and formation ,  just imagine these flames that require you yourself to be the missile to start it.  An environmental deer once dodged my WB flame.....by walking.

The nature of the flames in here would not be the amount of damage they do, but sheer amount of hits a well placed one can score on a moving blob, and by this how many "every 5th hit" procs it can proc within a time interval.

Does it mean it willbender will be perfectly fine in zergs? (I've heard some voices claiming it was OP in zergs during first beta, not sure how valid those are) can't say. but due to how core mechanics of willbender scale, zergs would be last on the list of my worries about where it can and cannot perform.

2 hours ago, quaniesan.8497 said:

if minstrell classes sometimes melt how long do u guys think a bender will last?

EoD will be play condi tanks or gtfo(most of time), only classes that can be played like that will be used.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

On 2/14/2022 at 9:21 AM, Aeolus.3615 said:

It bended so much that has become the paper itself 😄

Yeh it's so far a huge flop.  People poking fun at it whenever WB comes up in map chat.  Most youtubers ain't too kind towards WB either.   I'm very anxious to see what the "final" version looks like at launch, what kind of changes they make if at all that could salvage this "specialization".     But I'm mentally prepared to go in EoD with my DH so I won't get too disappointed. 

20 hours ago, quaniesan.8497 said:

Yeh it's so far a huge flop.  People poking fun at it whenever WB comes up in map chat.  Most youtubers ain't too kind towards WB either.   I'm very anxious to see what the "final" version looks like at launch, what kind of changes they make if at all that could salvage this "specialization".     But I'm mentally prepared to go in EoD with my DH so I won't get too disappointed. 

well thankfully. anet have said the elites have taken ALOT of changes since our last sights of them... sadly they have given us no indication to what they've changed so yeah 0 Idea, but something says WB is gonna wait til summer 2022 when they make Mechanical Changes to elites / Core as Willbender is gonna keep running into the issues with things like symbols.

19 hours ago, Daddy.8125 said:

well thankfully. anet have said the elites have taken ALOT of changes since our last sights of them... sadly they have given us no indication to what they've changed so yeah 0 Idea, but something says WB is gonna wait til summer 2022 when they make Mechanical Changes to elites / Core as Willbender is gonna keep running into the issues with things like symbols.

Prepare to be disappointed and see nerfs to core lines on all classes because they couldn't shoehorn their ideas in otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of the new specs don't seem meant for zergs.  Like Virtuoso and Harbringer seem heavy with the projectiles which is bad in zerg wvw. WvW in particular is just not taken into account in with them.

As for Willbender, a selfish mobile attack spec doesn't really work in zerg fights. Especially one that self roots.  Zerg fights are usually ranged in disorganized groups or in a tight melee ball to sustain and to absorb damage via target cap. The fact that most of the skills send WB flying around isn't conductive to either. The only real class for to this sort of play is Warrior and that's because they have some invuls and high base health. Daredevil can also do it, but it can be quite hazardous, and they have no end to tools to easily get out of a jam.

Warrior also has access to a lot of both hard and soft CC to actually be able to land damage.  Despite all of this, warrior is already very marginal and often confined to support. Willbender has very weak CC that is difficult to land on a moving target. As a result, I got the impression that they are better as a condi spec against other players which is fine against small groups but condi is countered by organized zergs, and core/dragonhunter can burst much more easily anyways.

The only thing WB really brings to a group that other guardian specs don't is Alacrity , but even that is awkward because it requires you to use an f2 which moves you around, requires you to hit enemies to keep the effect going (so you pretty much have to take ranged weapons), and requires you to take 2 traits and probably boon duration gear. In the meantime, you cannot take stunbreak on Crashing Courage, which means you have to take more stunbreaks/stability, or get your group to baby you with actual Guardians. But why would they do that?

So if you cripple your character's survivability and damage and make no mistakes, you can accomplish what a Renegade or a Mechanist can do with 2 empty tree lines and a single button press. Survivability isn't even the issue here.

So just run Shattered Aegis or something. Not sure how it works atm.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

18 minutes ago, DragonSlayer.1087 said:

Does Tenacious Defense still synergize well with Crashing Courage? 

I'm wondering if you can do Aegis Spam Support Bender? 

They put a cooldown on SA as willbender, but I think there's some better tricks to play with it.

I'll go experiment. SA doesn't crit, so you could even ignore precision/ferocity if you wanted.

Only issue it effectively forces you into valor. So you're forced to take Zeal/Valor/WB, for SA or Virtues/Valor/WB if you want support.

On 3/15/2022 at 6:40 AM, Zhob.9027 said:

I'm curious to see what you came up with because my tests with SA were terrible.

Yea I failed. Didn't seem like I was doing anything.

Normally the only reason to usually do SA is to give it to the party and have that aegis pop and do damage. But that 1s cd?