How about Warclaw lance resistance

Sinmir.6504

To be honest, Id rather not have the lance. Before you could knock a player off the Warclaw by attacking it, i guess like PvE mounts, you can be knocked off but very rarely by one hit. Now, if one player is trying to get to a squad/objective, the other wants to fight,, there isn't much choice. Pretty much like it was before the warclaw was added.

What I was thinking was how about another level of mastery. In PvE LS3 when you get close bloodstone you sometimes get the option to press "-" and cancel the drain. What if you get the lance sound effect, you get 3 seconds to hit "-" throw the lance back, maybe dismount them but don't get dismounted yourself. Fail to press it on time and you get dismounted.

Other ideas, as we know pressing 4 if successful  dismounts the enemy and yourself. How about if it dismounts the thrower either way? Out of range when they throw, dodged, press 4 when there isn't a mounted enemy to be seen, the thrower is dismounted anyway.

Or, you can only glide in your own territory, how about only allowing the lance in your own territory? Or maybe that you can't be dismounted by the lance in your own. Like if I'm red, A blue can lance me in green or blue territory but  the lance does nothing to me red.

• Confused 9

45 minutes ago, Sinmir.6504 said:

To be honest, Id rather not have the lance. Before you could knock a player off the Warclaw by attacking it, i guess like PvE mounts, you can be knocked off but very rarely by one hit. Now, if one player is trying to get to a squad/objective, the other wants to fight,, there isn't much choice. Pretty much like it was before the warclaw was added.

Uh what. Damage still dismounts with relative ease unless you are running a minstrel guard or scrapper or something. If I am on foot within 900 range of a mount that isnt dodging, I will 90% of the time dismount him with one condi attack. If they are stupid enough to be close so I can really get some ticks in, they loose 20-40% hp just from recovering on the dismount. If anything thats usually better than a lance dismount.

• Like 1

If you know how to manage your dodges on the warclaw, you can outmaneuver most stuff aside from a Sic em Soulbeast or a persistent Thief unless they blow a lot of their mobility cooldowns, in which case it leaves them vulnerable. The whole point of the lance is to help counter the Warclaw being able to escape things so easily. Adding a counter to a counter is as stupid as Deadeye being able to remove reveal. The counter to the lance already exists: the dodge key. Look behind you and save a dodge for when you see the animation start. If you are being pursued by multiple people, you shouldn't live in the first place. 

Use the build template system to swap to something with disengage or fighting potential while you get back to your group, and then swap back to your normal build when you reach them. The entitlement people have to live is hilarious. 

Edited by Za Shaloc.3908
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Uh what. Damage still dismounts with relative ease unless you are running a minstrel guard or scrapper or something. If I am on foot within 900 range of a mount that isnt dodging, I will 90% of the time dismount him with one condi attack. If they are stupid enough to be close so I can really get some ticks in, they loose 20-40% hp just from recovering on the dismount. If anything thats usually better than a lance dismount.

I know damage still dismounts, that was enough.

• Confused 3

I think it takes 145 WvW ability points to unlock the dismount throw. So the people who invest into the lance throw early on are already giving up other abilities unless they have WvWd a long time already.

A little tip on avoiding being dismounted: Look aft or backwards and keep a good distance from your enemy, and watch out for the throw and then evade when you see it. 

Don't go straight towards the opponent and try to turn sharply out of their LOS if they're behind you. 

Ride through terrain and LOS barriers like trees, rocks, etc. 

Remember this also, your travel speed is the same on the warclaw, and they need to be in 1500 range to hit you; so that is enough distance for an opportunity to evade. Save your second evade just for not being dismounted; and space out the first evade for speeding.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sinmir.6504 said:

Or, you can only glide in your own territory, how about only allowing the lance in your own territory? Or maybe that you can't be dismounted by the lance in your own. Like if I'm red, A blue can lance me in green or blue territory but  the lance does nothing to me red.

I'd be for only allowing warclaw in your territory.  That way it still keeps defense potential (i.e. can still get to an objective to defend) and limits the trolling that can be done in enemy territory with disengage via stealth then mounting up.  

As for lancing, I don't see an issue.  Dismount via damage is something that's far more egregious, and wouldn't be opposed to adding some kind of invuln to prevent instant downs via spikes. 

If players are lancing you though and you are struggling, then it may be best to figure out why this is happening.  If it is because you are getting picked off from a group then try to stay tighter to your tag. 

If you are getting back to an objective and it happens, that is more interesting, as if someone is lancing reinforcements that would be actual strategy, and I'm not sure that exists in WvW.  It also won't work if you are reinforcing in numbers unless there are a group of defensive lancers, and now we're just getting wild.  

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267