1 year struggle of picking a "main".

Gigawatt.7850

Hello all,

So I have played GW2 on and off for around 1 year now. I have this cycle of me getting excited to play professions and elite specs and I end up burning myself out trying all these different specializations by never end up picking a “Main” class. I mean I just now finished the HoT story. So far I’ve narrowed it down this go around to Warrior, Thief, and maybe a Ranger. I have them all at max level, I have the only Elite spec I have for them is Spell Breaker and Deadeye. I do all content in game so I’m just looking for something that is going to make me enjoy all aspects of the game.

If there is anymore info I can relay to you all just let me know.

1 hour ago, Gigawatt.7850 said:

Hello all,

So I have played GW2 on and off for around 1 year now. I have this cycle of me getting excited to play professions and elite specs and I end up burning myself out trying all these different specializations by never end up picking a “Main” class. I mean I just now finished the HoT story. So far I’ve narrowed it down this go around to Warrior, Thief, and maybe a Ranger. I have them all at max level, I have the only Elite spec I have for them is Spell Breaker and Deadeye. I do all content in game so I’m just looking for something that is going to make me enjoy all aspects of the game.

I had the same problem, multiclassing between every single spec and profession... play one for 2 days, then get bored and switch to another and same story repeating.

I became decent at all profession, which is good for pvp and wvw, but i didn't master any of them.

I bought a completely fresh alt account which is now my new main, i created 1 only character. A necro. Im planning to do everything with it, farm pvp, wvw and do all pve story and map  completion, I forced myself not to create anything else in that account, all crafting will be on him.

Even if wont be meta in pvp and the eod spec will result to be bad i wont care.

Right now i am playing harbinger, and maybe wont be meta definer as core necro, but kitten its hella fun, the shroud mobility and aoe stun, i dont care if ill die, its fun as hell for me right now.

So pick 1 class, one that you really like everything, the core, the hot and pof and the new eod specs as well, dont care if wont be meta, lot of people play off meta builds and rekt other players because they put lot of work on the class they love and they made it work for them.

I wont say to buy a new account if you dont have money to spend or if you progressed already too much.

My old account was actually my cousin account, so yeah, finally I have mine and i will have only one character there, i wont create others. I will make full legendary for him in the next months years and thats all.

It is working for me so far.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trixantea.1230 said:

Try reaper. It has good sustain, relatively easy to play and can be played in all game modes.

I have an 80 Necro but I just can't get into the theme / fantasy of a Necro. Even when I use to play World of Warcraft I couldn't get into the Warlock and Death Knight, just not my thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grx.8714 said:

So pick 1 class, one that you really like everything, the core, the hot and pof and the new eod specs as well, dont care if wont be meta, lot of people play off meta builds and rekt other players because they put lot of work on the class they love and they made it work for them.

I'm crazy to attempt to delete everything lol, not my first time I've deleted a max level character in an mmo. Thanks for putting in the time and effort for this advice, I really appreciate it. I find the warrior is easier and just plows through mobs so easy but the fantasy of a theif is just to cool to me. I just haven't gotten really good at it. Just unlocked Deadeye last couple of days. Just not mowing things over like the warrior. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gigawatt.7850 said:

From the three ones you're invested into my advice would be focus on the Ranger.

The Ranger is a very mobile class with access to stealth and extremely good roaming builds in both WvW and PvP in either power or condition variants; It has also a very good open world PvE builds which can edure a ton of punish and deliver very high damage to both single targets and AoE. It can be played entirely at range, only mele or in a mix of both. Has also one of the best healing builds in the game, the Druid spec. You can benefit for having a pet to tank or entirely ditch the pet with the Soulbeast spec, merging the stats of your character and his pet.

The only drawback of Ranger is that isn't as great in WvW zergs. Compared to the Thief, Thief is meta PvP but only due is even more mobile, a Ranger can do well the Thief role. In WvW roaming both are exceptional. In PvE Thief isn't as great due most of its damage is single target, and his playstile is harder, and the class is a lot more frail. Compared to the Warrior the Ranger has more variety of viable builds and is WAY better fighting at range.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Buran.3796 said:

From the three ones you're invested into my advice would be focus on the Ranger.

The Ranger is a very mobile class with access to stealth and extremely good roaming builds in both WvW and PvP in either power or condition variants; It has also a very good open world PvE builds which can edure a ton of punish and deliver very high damage to both single targets and AoE. It can be played entirely at range, only mele or in a mix of both. Has also one of the best healing builds in the game, the Druid spec. You can benefit for having a pet to tank or entirely ditch the pet with the Soulbeast spec, merging the stats of your character and his pet.

The only drawback of Ranger is that isn't as great in WvW zergs. Compared to the Thief, Thief is meta PvP but only due is even more mobile, a Ranger can do well the Thief role. In WvW roaming both are exceptional. In PvE Thief isn't as great due most of its damage is single target, and his playstile is harder, and the class is a lot more frail. Compared to the Warrior the Ranger has more variety of viable builds and is WAY better fighting at range.

Thanks for much for this, I totally never looked at it that way. I'll have to dust off the Ranger and see what's going on. I don't have an elite spec on him, have a suggestion that will fulfill the "all content" type of role? 

2 hours ago, Gigawatt.7850 said:

Thanks for much for this, I totally never looked at it that way. I'll have to dust off the Ranger and see what's going on. I don't have an elite spec on him, have a suggestion that will fulfill the "all content" type of role? 

For anythink PvE related I would run a condi Soulbeast build like this from Lord Hizen:

For PvP or WvW roaming my choice would be either a power build with longbow and greatsword or a condition build with short bow and dagger, albeit I've seen hybrid variants of both working really well. There's some guides in meta battle and tutorials on Youtube.  I don't main Ranger, tho. But is what I would make my main if medium armor professions were my favs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's better not to pick a main. The character you fall in love with will get drastically nerfed at some point. It's good to develop a stable of several good characters. That way you can leave the one you've been playing to quietly cry in a corner and pick up whatever character ArenaNet decides is going to be effective.

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

man i spend all my time playing gw2 and still don't feel like i really enjoy any of the game professions fully. it really sad but for me it's prob because of the game's battle system where skills tied to the weapon you wear and also this weapons switch system. i found it really disturbing when i always find something i don't like in any weapons type i use. it's like when i wear greatsword for example i really like 2 skills in it and other 3 i hate or using mace and like 2 skills there but don't really appreciate other three. so i was trying other professions and weapons type they may choose and there's always something unfitting for me. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Def.3178 said:

man i spend all my time playing gw2 and still don't feel like i really enjoy any of the game professions fully.  unfitting for me. 

You wasted one of your first 6 post in rising a thread that have been dead for 4 full months. You're clearly a natural born Necromancer...

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

You wasted one of your first 6 post in rising a thread that have been dead for 4 full months. You're clearly a natural born Necromancer...

i never actually look into a thread's date on a forums 😁, is it dead or alive i don't care - if it's resonates with me - i'm in. actually i find this thread thru google searching same key words cause i found really disturbing to not be able fully enjoy gw2, tho i love everything about it but not the combat system 😵 so i wanted to see if i'm the one like that

Edited by Def.3178
  • Like 1

GW2 forum: always search first for existing topic.

Also GW2 forum: don't use old threads.

#whatchagonnado?

For me there are pretty much always weapon skills I don't care for or wish they were better. Try not to focus on that as much as the overall play of the build. Find a profession of interest then find a build that feels good to you.

People often ask for things like whips or 2H axes when the actual thing in your character's hands does matter as much as what the game does with it. Ie, hammer and greatsword as ranged weapons.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2022 at 7:22 PM, DeanBB.4268 said:

Try not to focus on that as much as the overall play of the build. Find a profession of interest then find a build that feels good to you.

prob is that u need to waste lot of time to try all those sweet skills/builds out to then realize it's not what you want to play (not a fan of testing it out in pvp lobby area)

1 hour ago, Def.3178 said:

prob is that u need to waste lot of time to try all those sweet skills/builds out to then realize it's not what you want to play (not a fan of testing it out in pvp lobby area)

Isn't that why we're here? To waste time?

I'm probably not the best to offer advice on this topic, since I have 48 characters, most of which focus on a single elite spec (or just core). I fairly frequently redo builds to try out different play styles. But I've been playing for 10 years so can get tired of playing the same thing for too long. My "main" is more of "main for the moment."

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2022 at 12:47 PM, Gigawatt.7850 said:

Hello all,

So this is a rough question to answer because I don't know you personally, but it seems you enjoy more martial characters from what I can tell. So I'll try and work with that. Although you don't need to pick a main you can swap between characters and you can always change your main as your mood shifts. That said lets actually try and help out.

So you want to play all game modes? I assume you want to get into WvW and PvP as well as PvE then. And I think the class you'll feel the most fulfilled in those game modes is actually warrior. Warrior has a low floor for learning but a high ceiling for mastery which makes it quite rewarding to play if you want to really get into the nitty gritty of the mechanics. Warriors are also very strong DPS in PvE and their support will be buffed in the future so you do have some options there. Warrior can both function as a Roamer in WvW and in a zerg with spellbreaker.

I'm not saying the others don't have depth to them but a good warrior player in PvP vs a average is quite different so that aspect of mastery is great for a long term player. So that would be my suggestion to you.

As for the elite spec, you don't need to stick to just ONE elite spec either. Bladesworn is a lot of fun to play and berserker offers quite a different pace from bladesworn in pve. Spellbreaker is a great defensive spec and each of them are different enough to really give you the variety with your class you may be looking for.

Not saying other classes don't offer that, they do, but some do it better than others. Thief is pretty good about feeling very different between its specs and range is alright at it. But I think Warrior might be the main you're looking for for sure. I think it offers you more and if You're not a fan of Warlock I think thief offers less since Specter does share a lot of ground with Necromancer in GW2.

Ranger could work for you but I don't know how you feel about druids or pets. But yeah, Warrior.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1