What's the best way to get research notes?

6 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

if its crafted, you can break it. The items rarity yields more notes.

Need to be careful with that. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pitcher_of_Desert-Spiced_Coffee can be crafted but doesn't give notes

and I think I salvaged a rare food that still gave only 1 notes 😞

Edited by Khisanth.2948
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 1:19 AM, Infusion.7149 said:

Pretty sure it was made because people kept complaining they have nothing to do with ascended items that drop after obtaining legendaries. You're also able to salvage any ascended feasts or exotic crafted weapons/armor so it's also relevant for people upgrading to ascended.

Are upgrades saved? I'm looking at making my first ascended armor, and thought I would have a good collection of crafted exotic on my hands, but some of them have expensive runes in them.

• Confused 1

Just now, Gibson.4036 said:

Are upgrades saved? I'm looking at making my first ascended armor, and thought I would have a good collection of crafted exotic on my hands, but some of them have expensive runes in them.

I am unsure as I have been salvaging crafted armor explicitly made for this purpose.

The wiki states the following: "This could destroy any upgrades (runes, sigils, infusions) in the item."
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Research_Kit

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

I am unsure as I have been salvaging crafted armor explicitly made for this purpose.

The wiki states the following: "This could destroy any upgrades (runes, sigils, infusions) in the item."
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Research_Kit

Yeah, I saw that, and it seemed a very tentative statement, like the wiki editor wasn't sure. So I thought I'd ask around to see if anyone has had experience using it with upgrades.

Thanks.

• Confused 2

On 3/15/2022 at 3:23 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

Yeah, I saw that, and it seemed a very tentative statement, like the wiki editor wasn't sure. So I thought I'd ask around to see if anyone has had experience using it with upgrades.

Thanks.

Just salvaged an Cleric's Draconic Gauntlets of the Trooper and it just gave 75 notes.

Edit: Turns out I also have a useless Yassith's Guise with Nightmare rune as well. Added a +1 agony infusion into it then salvaged it. Got nothing other than 200 research notes. So the Research Kit completely destroys upgrades without giving anything for them.

Edited by Khisanth.2948
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

So I just CRAFTED 10 Diviners Mist Shard Pauldrons, and those are EXOTIC!!. But I can not use the research kid on them.

I have had some other exotic crafted gear earlier (still had to lvl up my armor craft to 500), and it worked fine.

But now it doesn't work anymore.

I mean it's crafted and higher tier.... (use to give 3 research books per crafted gear and 5 notes per book)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 9:55 PM, Infusion.7149 said:

You get ascended drops quite often in fractals which means any weapon box immediately is salvage fodder if you have any legendaries or ascended already, the raid ones usually salvage into magnetite or gaetling crystals. You are also able to salvage crafted exotics not just ascended.

you only get 200 notes for an ascended item... really not sorth it unless you absolutely dont need them.... better salvage and get the ball of dark mater for future legendary crafting.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Naro.5496 said:

you only get 200 notes for an ascended item... really not sorth it unless you absolutely dont need them.... better salvage and get the ball of dark mater for future legendary crafting.

Costs 1g to salvage an ascended armor , and about that much to stat swap to get research notes from it (as mist touched ones don't salvage). You get 200+ research notes for it and the current going rate is 1 silver per note.
https://fast.farming-community.eu/open-world/salvageable-research-note

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Research_Note

You get balls of darkmatter from salvaging raid drops as well and those don't provide research note.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Ascended weapons provide the most notes per salvage process. You can alter the non-standard ones in the Mystic Forge to make them salvageable with a Research Kit.

On 4/11/2022 at 8:51 PM, Naro.5496 said:

you only get 200 notes for an ascended item... really not sorth it unless you absolutely dont need them

Exactly. I was running out of bank space. 😉

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 3

Best depends on what you have. If you have a bank full of useless ascended then they could be a good choice but if you are starting with nothing then the fast farming page  would be better. Notes per salvage doesn't  matter anymore now that there is the automatic salvage option.