Soon to be a returning player...maybe

Hello everyone.

I have played Guild Wars before but with long, long breaks, much to blame on new games like Elden Ring being released xD

In Guild Wars 2 i have never raided or have done the so called fractals and since i have been away from it for so long i am probably like a complete noob than a returning player.

I have been wondering if this is a good time to come back or to do so at some point? Probably after Elden Ring :) , i'm asking this because i have read some posts here where it seems that people aren't happy about how things played out with the release of End of Dragons, some have said that it is a lazy expansion and a poor work by ArenaNet?

I always enjoyed Guild Wars 2 but i would love to know what you think about the current state of things and if it would be a god time to come back if i do take that decision.

Thank you for reading this and i wish you a great day.

• Like 3

the thing is: forums and reddit are always full of petty complaints, cause realistically only the people that have something to complain about come here.

In reality the game is in a good state, the new expansion added some cool new instances, the story is pretty good for the most part and even the old instances and maps are full of players 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

2 hours ago, Splat.7981 said:

Hello everyone.

I have played Guild Wars before but with long, long breaks, much to blame on new games like Elden Ring being released xD

In Guild Wars 2 i have never raided or have done the so called fractals and since i have been away from it for so long i am probably like a complete noob than a returning player.

I have been wondering if this is a good time to come back or to do so at some point? Probably after Elden Ring 🙂 , i'm asking this because i have read some posts here where it seems that people aren't happy about how things played out with the release of End of Dragons, some have said that it is a lazy expansion and a poor work by ArenaNet?

I always enjoyed Guild Wars 2 but i would love to know what you think about the current state of things and if it would be a god time to come back if i do take that decision.

When you have the spare-money, i would say, test it out. With games like elden ring, who go abaut 60€, gw2 with 30€ is as cheap as you can get your'e hour's of playtime.

Altouhg i must say, when you like mostly games like Elden Ring, Gw2 is a very easy game in comparison to this. What comes closest are the CM's, and they themselves are more convincing with gimmickry than well thought-out mechanics. I personaly am not a fan of Games like Elden Ring and i enjoy the Raids and Fractals(with friends) in this game, because it is a very fast learning-curve(for me personally).

I myself dont have the Expansion not, yet. But most of my friends have it, and they mostly enjoy it and have fun trying all the new Elites and so on in Raids.
Gw2 has a lot of flaws, but as someone said above, the Forum for every game is not the best place to ask such question. I would just test it out. Gw2 is such a big Game. It's hard to say if Person XY likes it, because Pesron YX don't like it or vice versa.

And this is coming from someone who likes to get angry about GW2 but still likes many areas of the game very much.

Edited by Fuchslein.8639

the game can be very fun. i feel the endgame suffers a bit tho, like with raids and endless grind achievments. i highly reccomend trying it out, just know your favorite class and way to play might lock you out of the majority of endgame pve unless you make some friends who dont care about the meta or happen to find someone who doesnt care in the group finder. the game excells with open world content forsure, lots of exploration and stuff to do. i mostly just play the world vs world pvp and open world events. definitely one of those games where you gotta set your own goals and decide what you would like to do. other than the story theres no real direction. long grindy achievements kinda take the place of a quest system, and can have very good rewards, like getting legendary gear or a new mount. if you like grinding, exploration, and don't mind a smaller pve endgame scene this game is great

Edit: the real endgame is fashion wars anyways 😛

Edited by scarlettmoonbabe.6932

3 hours ago, Splat.7981 said:

Hello everyone.

I have been wondering if this is a good time to come back or to do so at some point? Probably after Elden Ring 🙂 , i'm asking this because i have read some posts here where it seems that people aren't happy about how things played out with the release of End of Dragons, some have said that it is a lazy expansion and a poor work by ArenaNet?

It really depends. Do you think you would enjoy that kind of harder group content?

EOD appears to be designed to really push you into it and be a much better player. The question is just whether you appreciate that push. Considering it will involve a lot of time, a lot of group content and coordination and a lot of failure along the way.

If you don't believe you'll enjoy that kind of content it's best to stick to non EOD content for now and see how things pan out. The story will still be here, there's still stability fixes to be done and a major balancing patch is going to happen in the semi near future. 

All in all. I'd say it's best to wait before you buy.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Keep in mind, these forums are mostly used by people to complain. Anyone who is enjoying the game will be busy playing it.  You'd probably want to ask around in map chat and people streaming (non spoilers) just to get a balance of info. (Try to watch small streamers who don't have a financial investment in the game's success.)

I personally think its their best expansion yet and combines my favorite aspects from all of their previous content.  Does it require some more polishing in areas? Of course, thats just the nature of the beast at this point.  But i can appreciate the direction they've gone, and the framework they've laid with this expac. 

Edited by Roda.7468
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The expansion isn't lazy or poor work, it's obvious they put a lot of effort into it. However, just like a ton of other game releases the devs were probably forced to release it a lot earlier than they would have wanted and it shows in a lot of ways. Compared to the previous expansion there's a lot lacking in polish, I imagine if they were given a few more months it'd feel similar.  For instance, there's a ton of bugs atm that's causing a lot of people to not be able to enjoy the current map events, with some of them outright breaking whole map metas.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

It's for you to decide, I will give the pros/cons in current expansion. 

Pros

Skiffs - (Boats) Another mode of travel on water. The mechanics is cool, like a real boat. And the sounds it makes is also nice. 

Jade bot - A "companion", it looks cute, in Cantha you can use it as a small drone and they told in future they will bring it outside cantha too, which is fun. And you can create a personal WP anywhere in pve. 

Siege mount - A shared mount (2 person) one rider and another shooter. If you got a good party you can use it help clear out groups of enemies during metas or events. As a solo player you can use it just for fun, lol, and it also has a burst like high jump. Also it can be used underwater. 

Maps - Awesome look, great landscapes. Big. City map is enjoyable during night (it depicts actual night life in city). Great representation of Asian culture. Cats, dogs, can be petted. Hidden places for poi or hp. The mesmerising design of building, environment items like lanterns in path, a tunnel with fish animations, etc.

Elite specs - They are fun, atleast for me, thief got support, elemenaglist got an avatar like spec (no fast range weapon tho), engineer got a cool robot (its not just looks). 

Cons

Fishing - Tho it looks fun to play, it's entire purpose is for grinding mats or finishing achievements. Nothing else. 

Skiffs - If you got skimmer, you aren't missing any for traveling on water bodies. You can use it as a platform if middle of nowhere tho lol. It's useful for fishing. It's a shared boat but to get in on others boat you have to be in their party. I didn't see many players grouping up on a boat. 

Seige turtle - Really hard to even unlock the collection to get it (yeah you need to complete a collection to have it), you can check other posts. Not really worth it if you play as solo most times. 

Jade bot - well its not much use too except for personal WP. Using it as a drone is limited only at certain place (less places) in Cantha. The so called modules on jade bots, is not something you will miss. 

Story - Is not really great, but not worse too. It went a bit political (western type), but that didn't make it bad, but we don't really get into the story like pof or lws4. It's ok, can play atleast once. 

Arborstone Mastery Line - Its the same as eye of North, except you unlock the features via masteries than buying with gold or other currencies. 

To conclude

Pof bought mounts (main thing) which is used almost everywhere. Hot bought gliding (main thing) which is used everywhere too. Eod brings tiny new features, it's more of a fun dlc than an expansion. You won't miss much if you don't buy it. If you buy, you have cool maps to explore, amazing sound tracks, and a cute bot. 

P.s. Eod was only released 6 days ago, it's initial state is not to be judged quickly, there are bugs too. Wait a month and see if you want to buy it. 

Edited by Blue D Phoenix.7260
  • Confused 1

I don't think you'll miss much if you wait a few weeks or a few months before jumping back in.

EoD is fine but it's not that expansive. The best parts of it (imo) feel like a little vacation — just chilling and puttering around.

I enjoy the expansion.

There are some issues here and there, but nothing concerning. It's new and things will be ironed out over time.

Many complaints are about how the expansion isn't completely game changing. New Elite Specs aren't the new Meta. New Masteries don't completely change how the game is played.

That said, I do believe people are underestimating both Jade Bot and Arborstone. I am getting some great mileage out of Jade Bot giving me random Leather every 10 kills or so. I added in a level 2 Glide Boost which gives a significant increase in height. Maybe not important for the Skyscale people, but it certainly helps those of us still on the ground.

Travel costs between Cantha and Tyria are serious. The main value of Arborstone is through how much time and gold you'll save over time. The idea is the same as Eye of the North, but the value is different due to the location.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Splat.7981 said:

Hello everyone.

Don't bother. GW2 best days are behind it. They were spinning down content a long time ago when they were working on Icebrood saga. Then Anets unannounced other projects all got canceled, people got fired, everyone was moved back over to work on GW2. They had to panic rewrite the last half of Icebrood, and then start working on an expansion... which is EOD. And it shows. EOD is the buggiest release they have had, with the least amount of content. Poor quality control in polish and tuning. It's sad. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Goettel.4389 said:

I'm enjoying EoD so far. Don't listen too much to others (complainers or otherwise), there's fair criticism to be made for sure, but "lazy expansion" and "poor work" are just the usual hyperbole.

I disagree with this. Heart of Thorns was trying to find the game's footing, and I think Path of Fire was great. This expansion though, not a huge fan of unfortunately.

I like the jade bot effects but not being account bound is pretty frustrating for alts. Plus the battery mechanic gets old.

The fishing mechanic is closer to pong than fishing, and for some reason Simon-Says color/beep games are hard pushed here.

Being pushed into playing elite specs to get their collection is foreign from the game's past design philosophy.

I can find entertainment in legitimately difficult map metas like the final one in EoD, but putting a mount behind it feels like a poor decision. I'm not sure how many more times I can be in failing metas before considering it a waste of time to attempt. 

I'm a warrior main (lol) and Bladesworn feels poorly executed or undercooked. The game's whole thing is moving and dodging, but this spec is based around rooting yourself for not great damage and generally clunky gameplay - especially compared to Berserker.

As someone who played GW1 I'm not too keen on the story's hasty resolution but I guess some could like it. Not enough time with Soo-won or Ankka to be invested, void went as fast as it was introduced. Mai Trin's Scarlett Briar 'stance' opens some unanswered questions about Revenants. No real story breadcrumbs hinted at gives the end gives the feeling of tying everything up with a bow.

I don't feel many of the concerns are hyperbole, but rather think they are an indication of quality versus Path of Fire, Icebrood Saga, Dragonfall, Grizzlewood Coast etc, which were all really well done imo.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

My advice is run the otherway, after 10 years ive been getting the dreaded wow feeling where A net lost touch long ago with what GW2 philosophy was and now their forcing players in to harder then raid difficulty metas just please a minority of extremists playerbase, this game has become so toxic aswell is rather hard to enjoy the game when everyone expects the utmost perfection out of you... and the playerbase wont hesitate to tell you your that bad if your not perfect... its actually really depressing this game started off with a lovely community then it devolve in to something so disgustingly mean

10 years i played this game almost every day for this year would have been my 10th anniversary but after this expansion ive decided to resub to another game with a relatively nice playerbase rather than deal with this kitten where a net thinks its ok to gate some of the major selling points of the expasion behind some of its hardest content to date. Grenth raid is easier then this new meta your forced into

On 3/7/2022 at 9:58 AM, Shogen.5071 said:
On 3/7/2022 at 9:58 AM, Shogen.5071 said:

My advice is run the otherway, after 10 years ive been getting the dreaded wow feeling where A net lost touch long ago with what GW2 philosophy was and now their forcing players in to harder then raid difficulty metas just please a minority of extremists playerbase, this game has become so toxic aswell is rather hard to enjoy the game when everyone expects the utmost perfection out of you... and the playerbase wont hesitate to tell you your that bad if your not perfect... its actually really depressing this game started off with a lovely community then it devolve in to something so disgustingly mean

10 years i played this game almost every day for this year would have been my 10th anniversary but after this expansion ive decided to resub to another game with a relatively nice playerbase rather than deal with this kitten where a net thinks its ok to gate some of the major selling points of the expasion behind some of its hardest content to date. Grenth raid is easier then this new meta your forced into

May i ask what game you decided to resub to?