Virtuoso fills a niche that Mesmer was lacking

Oak.2047

10 minutes ago, Ombras.2853 said:

So we are talking against facts now?

Cool.

which fact?

that a build that exist for how long now? is for a halve year now considered meta since mesmer dont bring anything better?

a build that is easy replaced by other specs because outside of gravity well and illusion of life it brings nothing special?

man no wonder mesmer can´t have somthing good with comments like this

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think minstrel Chrono for group fights is viable and working, but certainly not optimal as the 4, and we don’t need Chrono for each sub squad. I would take another power Scourge if given choice. Granted, there are just 4 outliners though. The performance for the rest can be argued.

1 hour ago, Urphen.2857 said:

omg 🤦‍♂️

projectile hate maybe? you play only in open world with mesmer and now you are doing like you have a clue whats going on, the heal is so low from condi at the end it brings nothing to the table.

in WvW you stay always by the commander, a good squad stacks up, never going to leave the zerg.

I think you proved my point. When I zerg on Blackgate I bring whatever I want which is normally Longbow Soulbeast and I often run off and snipe people outside the zerg. I run lots of stability and escapes just in case If get caught I can run back into the zerg ball. WvW is easy 90% of the time we just steam roll through everything. 

It is true Virtuoso projectiles can be blocked with domes and walls which is the exact same problem with ranger.

On a side note, I don't run conventional Ranger Longbow in WvW. I run quick draw to get my Barrage back quicker and at the same time I can switch my sPvP Untamed which is brutal in roaming. 

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Mell.4873 said:

I think you proved my point. When I zerg on Blackgate I bring whatever I want which is normally Longbow Soulbeast and I often run off and snipe people outside the zerg. I run lots of stability and escapes just in case If get caught I can run back into the zerg ball. WvW is easy 90% of the time we just steam roll through everything. 

It is true Virtuoso projectiles can be blocked with domes and walls which is the exact same problem with ranger.

On a side note, I don't run conventional Ranger Longbow in WvW. I run quick draw to get my Barrage back quicker and at the same time I can switch my sPvP Untamed which is brutal in roaming. 

how i proved your point? have you read what i wrote? have you understand what i was saying?

maybe in NA its ok but on EU you only can bring what you want in an open squad for all others you get asked to change your class.

in the end you proved my point, virtu suffers now the same problem like ranger before we dont have a new build thats fills some niche in wvw or pvp we have a spec that brought us more problems (that already existet on other classes) than before, clones got killed thats all but projectiles get reflected and on the worst case your killing yourself.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Urphen.2857 said:

how i proved your point? have you read what i wrote? have you understand what i was saying?

maybe in NA its ok but on EU you only can bring what you want in an open squad for all others you get asked to change your class.

in the end you proved my point, virtu suffers now the same problem like ranger before we dont have a new build thats fills some niche in wvw or pvp we have a spec that brought us more problems (that already existet on other classes) than before, clones got killed thats all but projectiles get reflected and on the worst case your killing yourself.

All true but what do you want them to do remove reflections from the game.

I mean there is a unblockable trait for Virtouso  (I believe its bugged) so if anything Virtuoso should better than Ranger for long distances combat. 

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

Let me rephrase my comment. I see people play in gold and even high gold just fine without dropping rank. I'm currently in the top 250 players and have seen more Virtuosos than Chronos and Mirages combine. 

Don't know why I waste my time. 

People play Virt because it's new not because it's good, if you're a Virt chances are you're getting carried by your team.

• Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, Mell.4873 said:

All true but what do you want them to do remove reflections from the game.

I mean there is a unblockable trait for Virtouso  (I believe its bugged) so if anything Virtuoso should better than Ranger for long distances combat. 

they dont need remove reflections they have to do something with our spec, going full projectile was a bad idea, changing clones that can be destroyed to blades that can be reflected wasn´t the smartes move.

the trait isnt bugged you only doesnt get much value from it another thing why people keeps complaining

28 minutes ago, Urphen.2857 said:

they dont need remove reflections they have to do something with our spec, going full projectile was a bad idea, changing clones that can be destroyed to blades that can be reflected wasn´t the smartes move.

the trait isnt bugged you only doesnt get much value from it another thing why people keeps complaining

Okay I agree, it's a bit late now to change any of it. 

Maybe turn one of the Bladesongs into a ground targeted ability or just buff the unblockable trait.

Edited by Mell.4873

3 hours ago, Ombras.2853 said:

I red at least 5-6 posts that say “Mesmer doesn’t have a role in WvW”.

Those people never ever played WvW in their life.

Be serious, at least.

Yeah, there's that boonstrip chrono build that's still kinda fine that existed since HoT came out. They killed the rest.

Also, necros can boonstrip and do damage, chrono only boonstrips, doesn't support in any other way, and Null field is still the only blockable boonstrip utility skill. Chrono boonstrip is outclassed by almost every other class that can bring boonstrip but also something else to the squad. 

So yeah, you're totally right, we should just be happy we get 1 role in WvW, it's totally selfish of us to ask for 20% of what engineer has access to in terms of build options right? 

So what, you specifically don't want more roles for mesmers in WvW? Why are you even arguing this? Are you against more roles for mesmers? What's the endgame? That we keep that 1 build and just keep our mouths shut? Or would it be better if maybe we got a nice ranged spike DPS role with Virtuoso - which it was supposed to be due to how blades work in WvW - it was supposed to be an upgrade in terms of actually being able to use a class mechanic in WvW. 

Be serious.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You "need" maybe one minstrel Chrono in your squad and that's usually the commander. Everyone else would help the squad more if they played Necro or Engi or whatever. That being said in WvW most of the people most of the time don't play in organized squads, they run around in chaotic open clouds or small scale groups or roaming. And Mesmer is trash in all those scenarios. Most classes just outshine you and when a thief shows up you get shut down completely or die.

• Thanks 4

. Giving a proffession a specc which can do something everything else could already do was never a "gain" for virtuoso. 🤦 

- they made its shatters hit for less. 

- they put cast times on them. 

- they made they only travel is straight paths in direction you face. 

- made them entirely projectile. 

- rain of swords and thousand cuts by design cannot work on mobile targets. 

Then they made it 1200 range and once again punished it. 

- dagger does low damage. 

- daggers abilities are incredibly niche and weird in design. And actually lack the upfront damage you state. 

- dagger 2 requires you to hit them with the blades going out and then back in to land it's damage. 

- dagger 3 is a orb that only hits things in range of itself. 

- rain of swords requires the enemy to stand inside a ring for so many seconds. 

- thousand cuts requires enemies to stand in a row of swords for so many seconds. 

- all its shatters do damage per blade hit not a bulk shot (prolly to try and stop everything swallowing all its damage)

The specc your trying to say it's niche is front loaded damage has NO FRONT LOADED DAMAGE. 

I question if you know what front loaded damage is herald is front loaded damage. Front loaded damage is when you as a player strike for high damage instantly. Virtuoso is not this. 

To make virtuoso front loaded DPS. 

You would need to: 

Dagger 2 - remove the returning blades damage and tunnel it all into the initial throw. 

Dagger 3 - instead of a orb travelling out, you launch several daggers at the target simultaneously. 

Sword of rain - 12 blades fall from the sky and impact enemies hit take X damage. 

Thousand cuts - unleashes dozens of Swords which fly across the battle field. 

Abilities cannot pulse damage or have damage over time effects if your talking front loaded DPS. Virtuoso is not front loaded in damage. 

All its dagger abilities are not front loaded, none of the utilities are front loaded, if they were it's likely they'd actually be used. 

Virtuosos niche is susposed to be target swapping. With how clones work it's very known that Mesmers suffer in target swapping. Or carrying burst beyond a fight due to clones dissapearing on the death of the enemy. 

Virtuoso removes that factor by having stored blades it carries fight to fight. 

The problem is they over chained it due to likely thinking this would add more strength to mesmer then it actually did. And now aren't addressing the fact it's underperforming 

Reasons they likely did this to its utilities and dagger abilities is likely because all its shatters throw blades forward. Likely making all virtuosos animations the same. 

Imho this is fixable by acknowledging the fact the game has more then 1 weapon and it never had to be focused on daggers. 

Imho virtuosos utilities should have focused more on active defense and mobility. 

Edited by Daddy.8125
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Daddy.8125 said:

. Giving a proffession a specc which can do something everything else could already do was never a "gain" for virtuoso. 🤦 

- daggers abilities are incredibly niche and weird in design. And actually lack the upfront damage you state. 

- dagger 2 requires you to hit them with the blades going out and then back in to land it's damage. 

- thousand cuts requires enemies to stand in a row of swords for so many seconds. 

- all its shatters do damage per blade hit not a bulk shot (prolly to try and stop everything swallowing all its damage)

The specc your trying to say it's niche is front loaded damage has NO FRONT LOADED DAMAGE. 

I question if you know what front loaded damage is herald is front loaded damage. Front loaded damage is when you as a player strike for high damage instantly. Virtuoso is not this. 

You would need to: 

Dagger 2 - remove the returning blades damage and tunnel it all into the initial throw. 

Dagger 3 - instead of a orb travelling out, you launch several daggers at the target simultaneously. 

Sword of rain - 12 blades fall from the sky and impact enemies hit take X damage. 

Abilities cannot pulse damage or have damage over time effects if your talking front loaded DPS. Virtuoso is not front loaded in damage. 

All its dagger abilities are not front loaded, none of the utilities are front loaded, if they were it's likely they'd actually be used. 

Virtuosos niche is susposed to be target swapping. With how clones work it's very known that Mesmers suffer in target swapping. Or carrying burst beyond a fight due to clones dissapearing on the death of the enemy. 

The problem is they over chained it due to likely thinking this would add more strength to mesmer then it actually did. And now aren't addressing the fact it's underperforming 

Reasons they likely did this to its utilities and dagger abilities is likely because all its shatters throw blades forward. Likely making all virtuosos animations the same. 

Imho this is fixable by acknowledging the fact the game has more then 1 weapon and it never had to be focused on daggers. 

Imho virtuosos utilities should have focused more on active defense and mobility. 

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner! We have a winner!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, godfat.2604 said:

I think minstrel Chrono for group fights is viable and working, but certainly not optimal as the 4, and we don’t need Chrono for each sub squad. I would take another power Scourge if given choice. Granted, there are just 4 outliners though. The performance for the rest can be argued.

Minstrel Chrono is a build sooo outdated that it's laughable.

I still have no idea why minstrel is pushed, since there's almost no boons coming from mesmer and no healing. Well, techincally, you don't benefit from anything but taughness and vitality anyway.

It does boon rip, but necro does boon corruption mostly and unless enemy is stripped of stability, you are about even with necro and fall behind mallix rev by a lot.

It also has powerful cc, but again, you already had to have stripped stability for it to be effective, but well, cc is a weird thing, it's all around other classes also, that do a lot more.

• Like 3

Maybe turn one of the Bladesongs into a ground targeted ability or just buff the unblockable trait.

Yeah sadly it's late for bigger change, important thing at the end is that something changes to give it a place in the competitive game modes.

Good feedback is here enough they only need to look at it.

It's not too late! 

- Give us directional placement of shatters (like we can we thousand cuts). 

- improve some of the traits, some of them are really lackluster. 

- make thousand cuts and Rain of blades do damage at the same time. I.e make them fire all their blades at the same time instead of waves. 

- dagger 2 - remove the blades coming back for additional damage. Stock it into one set of damage in hitting the target. 

- dagger 3, speed up the orbs movement when not firing and decrease it's movement when firing. (WoW does this with frost orb and their engines older) 

- psyonic blades remove might and fury from it and have it give the mesmer stability and resolution. 

- swap blade renewal to be the block and F4 to be the distortion. 

- Speed up F3s animation and have it hit the target instead of projectile (like greatswords auto attack). 

- Increase the damage of F1 (F2 hits pretty hard for condi but F1 just doesn't do enough) 

- add to the aegis trait, Removal of 3 condis on bladesong use. 

This would make it a rly good option against both power and Condi options. Virtuoso lacks real Condi mitigation and this is a way to bring it in without it being spammable. 

These would all at minimum improve the capabilities of virtuoso in PvP enviroments and none of them are full reworks and breaking the aesthetic virtuoso portrays. 

It's fixable, they just did a huge wave of mechanical changes on catalyst which would have been far harder to rebalance / change compared to these. 

Edited by Daddy.8125
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SloRules.3560 said:

I still have no idea why minstrel is pushed, since there's almost no boons coming from mesmer and no healing. Well, techincally, you don't benefit from anything but taughness and vitality anyway.

I fully agree with you. Before celestial buff, I actually ran with commander set (when boonshare was a thing) to slightly gain some damage. After celestial buff I just stick with full celestial. Minstrel makes no sense to me, but since I don’t want to argue with so many people, I just call it that way :shrug:

14 minutes ago, SloRules.3560 said:

It does boon rip, but necro does boon corruption mostly and unless enemy is stripped of stability, you are about even with necro and fall behind mallix rev by a lot.

I fully agree with this as well, as said, I’ll take another power Scourge anytime. Heck, I can’t even strip more than a good Scourge even though I can strip more than most Scourge :shrug:

I never tried a stripping Mallyx but I did once see one stripped so much.

And nothing else I can really do as a Chrono. A bit of stability via Matra of Concentration, nothing else. Yes, utilities like Illusion of Life or Veil, back to the Veil bot which is so behind Sneak Gyro, or maybe Portal bomb. That’s probably it.

Well, better than ranger I suppose.

25 minutes ago, Urphen.2857 said:

Yeah sadly it's late for bigger change, important thing at the end is that something changes to give it a place in the competitive game modes.

Good feedback is here enough they only need to look at it.

It's never too late. The way they completely changed and removed almost all of mesmer's functionality, the same way they can give it back, rework and even redesign whatever they want. 

It's only because that kind of thinking that Anet doesn't even bother (that and they admited they want mesmers to suck).

Look what happened to Catalyst. They nerfed it, and since then, forums, reddit, youtube, everywhere was full of drama.

And now Catalyst is getting a rework and a buff. 

At no point did anyone say "Catalyst deserved the nerf, i know - i'm a catalyst main", nor did anyone say "it's too late".

When mesmers get nerfed - forums full of "mesmer mains" singing praises how it was necessary and requried, and good on anet and kitten. And when Anet does something half interesting but needs to actually finish it? Again, "mesmer mains" singing praises how good it is and outright lying that it has no problems whatsoever. 

I mean, are you at all surprised we got to this state?

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

It's never too late. The way they completely changed and removed almost all of mesmer's functionality, the same way they can give it back, rework and even redesign whatever they want. 

It's only because that kind of thinking that Anet doesn't even bother (that and they admited they want mesmers to suck).

Look what happened to Catalyst. They nerfed it, and since then, forums, reddit, youtube, everywhere was full of drama.

And now Catalyst is getting a rework and a buff. 

When mesmers get nerfed - forums full of "mesmer mains" singing praises how it was necessary and requried, and good on anet and kitten. And when Anet does something half interesting but needs to actually finish it? Again, "mesmer mains" singing praises how good it is and outright lying that it has no problems whatsoever. 

I mean, are you at all surprised we got to this state?

I know they can change if they want, but considering the past I rly have no hopes anymore that they will do even the half what is needed.

It's exactly this, all this so called "mesmer mains" that are against buffs and praises every nerf even if it makes no sense, it's disheartening -.- 

• Like 1

Just now, Urphen.2857 said:

I know they can change if they want, but considering the past I rly have no hopes anymore that they will do even the half what is needed.

It's exactly this, all this so called "mesmer mains" that are against buffs and praises every nerf even if it makes no sense, it's disheartening -.- 

I agree, it's dishartening, and i already quit the forum once because when Mirage was doing half decent, there was (not gonna name call, but i think evenryone knows who i'm talkign about) people calling for Mirage nerfs. And it wasn't even that strong, and again, it did some random k number on a golem that was never gonna happen anyhere realistically.

I said we should start being thankful to Anet for making something good for mesmers because if we can't be thankful for a buff, Anet's never going to forget this. 

Then after i got flamed by literally everyone and how Mirage was kitten, Anet nerfed mirage. And everyone sang praises that i was just a matter of time, it had it coming, etc. 

So i quit. 

And i still lowkey think that, if we can't stick together, we deserve everything Anet does to us.

But this time people are actually doing just that, sticking together, fighting trolls that want to keep us down, they want to see Virtuoso succeed, and i want that too. So i'm not going to be silent this time. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

I agree, it's dishartening, and i already quit the forum once because when Mirage was doing half decent, there was (not gonna name call, but i think evenryone knows who i'm talkign about) people calling for Mirage nerfs. And it wasn't even that strong, and again, it did some random k number on a golem that was never gonna happen anyhere realistically.

I said we should start being thankful to Anet for making something good for mesmers because if we can't be thankful for a buff, Anet's never going to forget this. 

Then after i got flamed by literally everyone and how Mirage was kitten, Anet nerfed mirage. And everyone sang praises that i was just a matter of time, it had it coming, etc. 

So i quit. 

And i still lowkey think that, if we can't stick together, we deserve everything Anet does to us.

But this time people are actually doing just that, sticking together, fighting trolls that want to keep us down, they want to see Virtuoso succeed, and i want that too. So i'm not going to be silent this time. 

I'm totally with you, let's hope the best and fight the trolls 😁

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Daddy.8125 said:

You would need to: 

First off, this is a total bingo at best. now im wondering how well virtuoso would improve if some of these other suggestions that i did during the 2nd beta. Im planning on going all over each of the specs and see what works and what doesnt even if its already been obviously stated and put it into an entire list. hopefully this might clear up alot. 

Dagger #1 auto, either make this into an auto atk chain with each skill within the chain doing bleed stacks with the final adding the condi slow to the mix or just have the auto as is with 2 bleed stacks with slow as well. Id think that by adding slow to this, it might make some interesting playstyle. 

Dagger#2, add in either torment, burn or poison with either regen or swiftness on dagger return. (or any other boon/boons that would fit this skill) 

Dagger #3, this could have blindness with another condi or add boons based on the number of targets hit. 

Utilities: Twin Blade Restoration- This skill could go like this (remove 1 condi per active blade) without it having to use a blade while facing the target. 

Rain of Swords + Sword of decimation: The way these skills are done so far could go 1-2 ways, either they get reworked with something else or the mechanic is sound enough to add in some other things like with sword of decimation could also receive like 5secs of fury or might. The rain of swords either could add in like poison with vulnerability or some kind of boon. 

Blade Renewal, Think this has already been said quite a bit with it being swapped with the current f4 block but it were to go this way id prob suggest the distortion to be reduced down to 2secs with it able to stack 2 or 3 blades. 

Psychic Force: instead of having it in a melee range knockback, have it able to use the blades that knockback within like a 900 range. This way the user can knockback either in melee range or from distance for better chances of interrupts and combos. The other would be is to just rework the skill itself. 

Thousand Cuts: This skill is too lackluster atm to be of any good. So this could require a rework or make it more mobile while activating it. Plus could add in some boons or condis like torment, burn, bleed and slow based on the number of blades used. 

Traits: Minor

Top: The aegis could be something that could be viable but also could add in like a damage reduction of condis or reduced condi duration of certain ones like cripple, immob and chill. Could also add in regen in the mix here as well.

Middle: Instead of just pure strike dmg, rework this to where it could be workable with boons like quickness, might, fury or swiftness with a low icd of  like 20secs. 

Bottom: replace this one with the bottom major trait that could give increased condi duration/expertise to make it more viable as a condi trait while making the condis do more dmg. So this would combine the current minor trait with the bleeding with the major trait. 

Major: 

Top: Instead of giving boons for dodging or blocking, make it so this could be used based on any form of disables and stock a blade for each successful hit. 

Middle: This one could be reworked or switch the grandmaster trait for stocking a blade in combat to here. 

Bottom: Since this would be already combined into one of the minor traits, this would be reworked for something else. 

Grandmaster:

Top: This trait has some potential with the unblockable with the shatters but instead of blocking/dodging again, id say this could use a rework along with possibly putting it where Quiet Intensity is located but keep the synergy with the unblockable for the next bladesong. 

Middle: This already been placed in the major trait, or could be in the minor trait with a rework. Plus could possibly server as a spot for Quiet intensity that is reworked. 

Bottom: Already combined in the minor, rework needed. Could add in some boons/additional condis or another viability of boon removal.

Regarding traits: Some of the boons added to these traits could be stab, protection, resistance, vigor and or resolution just to name some of the defensive ones. 

Shatters: Total rework is in order since its lackluster and doesnt synergize well with how the greatsword works. So would be stuck using dagger. 

This is alot to be theorizing atm but wanna get some feedback on this since i know alot would rather see virtuoso become more viable. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Ombras.2853 said:

I red at least 5-6 posts that say “Mesmer doesn’t have a role in WvW”.

Those people never ever played WvW in their life.

Be serious, at least.

We are serious. You can be an illusion of life slave with ministrel chronomancer. Utility slaving generally works for most classes, but that's extremely limiting. Mesmer needs better roaming and more possible roles. Utility slaves is minimum any class can do. Your weapon skills are almost irrelevant.

• Like 1