A Levelling Suggestion

I have friends who drop in and out of GW2 frequently.

Or sometimes they'll out-level me with more free time, or otherwise have a level 20 boost, or level 30 boost, etc, and I don't. And the current solution is to start at level 1 & power level ASAP, or go to 80 and have everything flood me.

I have two ways to fix this:
1. Every time you hit level 10/20/30/40/etc with 2 classes; you unlock the ability to start new characters at that level.

or

2. Every time you hit those level thresholds with a class; you unlock the ability to start THAT CLASS at those levels. Meaning, once I hit 80 with a Warrior; I can start a new Warrior at 10/20/30/40/50/60/70.

I know that will probably go against selling level 80 boosts, but it's frustrating to have my friends say 'I have a <character> at 40.' And I'm stuck either starting at level 1, or level 80 with no in-between, if I want to play with them.

Either those ideas, or just sell level boosts for every 10 levels. Please. 😁

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Wait, you have a level 80 already and this is an issue? What am I missing? Just that you are too powerful?

The enjoyment of levelling alongside friends.

And some people feel discouraged if their friends have 40 levels on them. They feel like their not really part of the group.

2 minutes ago, Akisohida.8963 said:

The enjoyment of levelling alongside friends.

And some people feel discouraged if their friends have 40 levels on them. They feel like their not really part of the group.

You want to provide the enjoyment of leveling alongside friends by removing the leveling?

The solution to the second part requires nerfing downscaling which I am sure would get a lot of pushback.

That I can understand. But the game hands out level 20-60 insta's plus a boatload of level up tomes, not to mention the insta-80. So I can't see Anet adding any more than what's already provided. Want more insta-20/30/etc? Buy more character slots and create more alts (Anet's solution).

If this really is a constant problem with your friends coming and going, then perhaps you need to park characters at level 20, 40, 60 or whatever for use when your friends are playing, and play on your main(s) otherwise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

You want to provide the enjoyment of leveling alongside friends by removing the leveling?

The solution to the second part requires nerfing downscaling which I am sure would get a lot of pushback.

No. If I am level 40, and my friend wants to be level 40 to level with me, rather than starting at level 1 and having to 'catch up' or buy a level 80 boost so I have to 'catch up'.

Plus, new players buying the boost then have to figure out everything all at once. 😛

• Confused 1

The game already supports you in a bunch of ways.

Downscaling means lower-level zones aren't a complete pushover. Your downscaled character will be a bit stronger but shouldn't entirely trivialize the content.

There are multiple zones in each level band, so you can e.g. start your character n the Charr homelands and then explore the Norn zones together with your friend. This way you'll still be getting meaningful exploration rewards — hero points, map completion, &c. — as you go.

You get Tomes of Knowledge from daily login rewards. 10 per month (don't pick extra tomes from the final chest, that's wasting much better resources). You can use these to level-up on demand. You get those same tomes from PvP and WvW rewards tracks as well. I've literally got 1000 in my bank right now.

10 minutes ago, Akisohida.8963 said:

No. If I am level 40, and my friend wants to be level 40 to level with me, rather than starting at level 1 and having to 'catch up' or buy a level 80 boost so I have to 'catch up'.

Plus, new players buying the boost then have to figure out everything all at once. 😛

Then your friend most likely got some birthday scrolls or tomes of knowlage and can get a character to 40 in a minute.

44 minutes ago, ASP.8093 said:

Downscaling means lower-level zones aren't a complete pushover. Your downscaled character will be a bit stronger but shouldn't entirely trivialize the content.

Importantly it also means you still get XP and item at your level, even if you're playing in lower level areas, so it's not just something you'd do to help out lower level players, it will also benefit your character too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Akisohida.8963 said:

Easy solution: Open the Trade Post, search for the cheapest blue level 75 - 80 armor items and weapons appropriate for you profession regardless of stats, buy them, equip them instead of your regular gear, feel a bit silly looking like a clown and have fun with your friends.

If your friends suck and still don't out-dps you, spec into a core build not an elite spec and be surprised how long everything takes now. :classic_cool:

2 hours ago, ASP.8093 said:

The game already supports you in a bunch of ways.

There are multiple zones in each level band, so you can e.g. start your character n the Charr homelands and then explore the Norn zones together with your friend. This way you'll still be getting meaningful exploration rewards — hero points, map completion, &c. — as you go.

You get Tomes of Knowledge from daily login rewards. 10 per month (don't pick extra tomes from the final chest, that's wasting much better resources). You can use these to level-up on demand. You get those same tomes from PvP and WvW rewards tracks as well. I've literally got 1000 in my bank right now.

You also get 3-4 writs from doing the PvE dailies.  20 of those buy another Tome of Knowledge from Miyani at the Mystic Forge.  So you can get another 3-6 ToK's per month just from doing dailies.