Gw2 Pay to Win or Skill to Win, Core Buids Outdated.

Core builds, once feared, now obsolete and useless in WvW, and PvP. Its either buy new content or stand no chance against new meta builds. I know pvp isn't like that, but wvw is. PvP is pretty equal with talent required game play, however WvW, no matter what you do to your characters as far as armor, runes, sigils, and build for core builds they stand no chance against new meta builds unless you use extreme tactics, skill, and trickery. Ambushes, stealth, pulls, stuns, disabling, seems like my only chance to shut down and kill some of the new META classes. 

There are so many things that anger me about gw2, that I could make 10-15 more threads about them but I'm not usually a complainer. I stay in my corner and keep quiet but my level of frustration has peaked. I love core builds, and hate some of the new classes. But why should I move to a new class just to be more powerful? Why cant Anet keep them even in power? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 26
  • Sad 1

Pay to keep Anet employees working.  

I still use core builds in wvw from time to time just because some are fun to play.  What I find is that a lot of people don't know how to react to them and the fight goes my way.  

"Powerful" is misleading.  Equal skill, the better build or better class matchup will take the win, but its pretty rare that the skill is equal.  Good players adjust.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Blockhead Magee.3092 said:

Pay to keep Anet employees working.  

I still use core builds in wvw from time to time just because some are fun to play.  What I find is that a lot of people don't know how to react to them and the fight goes my way.  

"Powerful" is misleading.  Equal skill, the better build or better class matchup will take the win, but its pretty rare that the skill is equal.  Good players adjust.  

Yes good players adjust, and I have changed some things, but the core remains on some toons. And I do keep some builds that are hilariously fun to use the same as they were 5 yrs ago. But it has been nerfed countless times, and now pretty much powerless. It cant kill most of the new Necro Builds unless they are just learning the build, or the new Ele Meta, I literally stand no chance when I encounter them. The only thing is to either show a big fight, or run. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

Are many, if not most, core builds underpowered by comparison to elite specs?  Yes, and this has been going on since HoT in 2015.  So, this is not new.

What's also true is that some older Elite specs are also underpowered by comparison to EoD specs.  Spellbreaker was pretty much neutered for WvW use because, apparently, ANet didn't want them taking away the multitude of boons that some of the new specs drop with one button push.  So, yes, I am not pleased by ANet's apparent decision to reduce the effectiveness of many older builds in order to make buying the new XPac more attractive.

On the other hand, I can't really blame them for wanting people to buy their product.  If all you've got is core, you've been playing for a decade on a one-time purchase.  The new XPac is $30 US.  Name another MMO in ongoing development where you can remain relevant for that long with a single purchase.  I can't.  Most of those I've seen raise level caps with XPacs, and that destroys any possibility of parity unless you get the XPac.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

P2W generally doesn't include expansions or DLC otherwise there's nio points to threads like these as pretty much every single MMO nowadays would be P2W.

But anet promoted the vision of F2P when it first came out, then some addition they added where it changed that core value angered many Gw2 players and they later nerfed their update and kept their core value to F2P. Its F2P but with heavy restrictions on older content which is stupid and goes against their Original core values. We all know Anet needs $ to run, but they shouldn't be making new content so ridiculously OP that someone new to the game learning builds can't even hope to compete with new META.

It's gotten to the point where people coming into the game are getting wrecked so bad in wvw they just refuse to ever go back after such a bad experience, even if they are BEGGED to go back. Some just never come back. 

Edited by RUB RUB RUB RUBZ.9136
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 14

21 minutes ago, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

Are many, if not most, core builds underpowered by comparison to elite specs?  Yes, and this has been going on since HoT in 2015.  So, this is not new.

What's also true is that some older Elite specs are also underpowered by comparison to EoD specs.  Spellbreaker was pretty much neutered for WvW use because, apparently, ANet didn't want them taking away the multitude of boons that some of the new specs drop with one button push.  So, yes, I am not pleased by ANet's apparent decision to reduce the effectiveness of many older builds in order to make buying the new XPac more attractive.

On the other hand, I can't really blame them for wanting people to buy their product.  If all you've got is core, you've been playing for a decade on a one-time purchase.  The new XPac is $30 US.  Name another MMO in ongoing development where you can remain relevant for that long with a single purchase.  I can't.  Most of those I've seen raise level caps with XPacs, and that destroys any possibility of parity unless you get the XPac.

Like I said to Mythical, the new content has to be equally as strong as older content. Not impossible so OP that they cant be beaten. Its gotten to a point now where newer content is too strong and pushes new players away from the game and they just quit entirely. The new story content will never lose its appeal and even if the EOD expansions didnt have new class builds I'd still pay $ for the content, but new builds are just TOO STRONG. Its gone past a point where new content can kill core players in 1 shot in wvw literally. Ive seen many 1 shotters without even trying on new players or core builds including mine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

3 minutes ago, RUB RUB RUB RUBZ.9136 said:

But anet promoted the vision of F2P when it first came out, then some addition they added where it changed that core value angered many Gw2 players and they later nerfed their update and kept their core value to F2P. Its F2P but with heavy restrictions on older content which is stupid and goes against their Original core values. We all know Anet needs $ to run, but they shouldn't be making new content so ridiculously OP that someone new to the game learning builds can't even hope to compete with new META.

It's gotten to the point where people coming into the game are getting wrecked so bad in wvw they just refuse to ever go back after such a bad experience, even if they are BEGGED to go back. Some just never come back. 

The game came out as B2P.  F2P was later released years later with restrictions.  All of which doesn't matter when it comes to your original post claiming that expansions are P2W when all MMOs have expansions.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, mythical.6315 said:

The game came out as B2P.  F2P was later released years later with restrictions.  All of which doesn't matter when it comes to your original post claiming that expansions are P2W when all MMOs have expansions.

You're not getting what I'm emphasizing. Yes I've bought every expansion in the game, I've spent well over $2000 usd on gw2 and I continue to play it as though its still F2P but no you are wrong about the F2P, it always F2P from the very beginning, but they added content you had to buy later, and their gem store helped with funding their server expansions. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 11

1 minute ago, Aravind.9610 said:

Anet has to make money somehow. And that's by selling expansions. All MMOs do this so why pick on Anet now?

I'm not "PICKING" on anet, I created this thread so Anet would see it and stop making new builds so Over Powered. Its insanity. There is a serious imbalance in WvW and PvP on builds, when they say content should be balanced but are hypocrites in not doing what they say. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

5 minutes ago, RUB RUB RUB RUBZ.9136 said:

You're not getting what I'm emphasizing. Yes I've bought every expansion in the game, I've spent well over $2000 usd on gw2 and I continue to play it as though its still F2P but no you are wrong about the F2P, it always F2P from the very beginning, but they added content you had to buy later, and their gem store helped with funding their server expansions. 

Prove that it was F2P and that you didn't have to buy the game when it launched.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RUB RUB RUB RUBZ.9136 said:

No it wasn't. People bought the game and then they played it without subscription fees. The F2P mode was only added in after they released the first expansion, so people could try out the game before buying the expansion. It was just marketing for the expansion.

6 minutes ago, RUB RUB RUB RUBZ.9136 said:

I'm not "PICKING" on anet, I created this thread so Anet would see it and stop making new builds so Over Powered. Its insanity. There is a serious imbalance in WvW and PvP on builds, when they say content should be balanced but are hypocrites in not doing what they say. 

If they don't make elite spec builds better than core, then why would PvP and WvW players buy expansions, if they can just keep up with core? You're gimping yourself to core, and that is your choice. Don't complain about "OP" elite spec builds then.

Edited by Aravind.9610
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Aravind.9610 said:

If they don't make elite spec builds better than core, then why should PvP and WvW players buy expansions, if they can just keep up with core?

The whole point of competitive content is to keep players HAPPY, and fighting each other with SKILL, not "BUYING SKILL" So you are saying that to be better now at the game is to just buy your skills? Anet designed WvW maps to be balanced in both distance from spawns, preventing each side from having too much advantage in exploits, and balancing server activities by combining them. Anet shot themselves in the foot long ago with wvw because of their failed attempts to make wvw fair with spawn campings leaving defenders exposed with no way to defend themselves. 

But buying your way to the top seems the only way now to get 2 legs up on new players now and core players. Enemy players underestimate my core character every time when I rip their @$$ a new 1 because they think its just going to be an easy kill. Sometimes I can kill new meta players other times its like, I stood no chance at all. It angers me severely because it was designed this way by people who don't give a crap about us anymore but just use the game for a steady $ now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7

6 minutes ago, RUB RUB RUB RUBZ.9136 said:

The whole point of competitive content is to keep players HAPPY, and fighting each other with SKILL, not "BUYING SKILL" So you are saying that to be better now at the game is to just buy your skills?

Are you assuming people become skilled players simply because they buy an expansion? Clearly you don't because you yourself said you beat some of them while being beaten by others. Are you saying you should always win on core against someone using an elite spec? Because that is just dumb.

Edited by Aravind.9610
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aravind.9610 said:

Are you assuming people become skilled players simply because they buy an expansion? Clearly you don't because you yourself said you beat some of them while being beaten by others. Are you saying you should always win on core against someone using an elite spec? Because that is just dumb.

No of course not what are you crazy? They should just be equal in strength. The skilled players should win, but some meta classes I face, theres just no chance no matter how skilled I am. They are just impossible to kill with a core build. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, RUB RUB RUB RUBZ.9136 said:

No of course not what are you crazy? They should just be equal in strength. The skilled players should win, but some meta classes I face, theres just no chance no matter how skilled I am. They are just impossible to kill with a core build. 

They are called ELITE specs for a reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Nice oxymoron.

So you came here to shut my thread down, and call my comments names. Instead you are part of the problem and why this has never been fixed. I see you've made many posts, you must be a regular troll, or do you contribute to the benefit of the community in some manor? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7