The Skyscale Quest Line Is WAY Too Grindy, And Insulting [Merged]

On 5/1/2022 at 8:42 PM, Akisohida.8963 said:

See, that also seems absurd to me.

Im guessing you dont understand that mmorpgs are longterm commitments.  They are for the long haul not instant gratification, you maybe want to play some quick little mobile game to fit that theme. You talk about GW2 being long and grindy and in the same breath mention FF lol FF is even worse. Give me a break I got the skyscale on 3 separate accounts  and did it the long way back before the nerf on 2 of them. It was a breeze on the 3rd because they have really nerfed the time. I will ask you , why play a game if you dont want to actually play the game? You want to auto pilot through and never have to do anything, then long term MMORPG's are not for you.  You can do other things in the game also, sitting around trying to cram everything in one go is dumb. I did that the first time and its stupid , the last 2 I took my time did the skyscale when I felt like it. Was much better. But there is that antsy pantsy got to have it all now now now drive that is not good for anyone. 

Edited by Tiviana.2650
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

Okay let's make a little bit more constructive and serious the thread.

There are 2 sides:

1)Wants Skyscale Easier

2)Says the Skyscale is fine as it is

The truth is that both sides have good arguments(at least some) but no one wants to agree on anything.

The best middle way solution would be that some items required for Skyscale or Gryphon should appear for gems or being accessible in tradehouse.

The mystery is why having items for Skyscale/Gryphon in gemstore or tradehouse hurts anybody?and I have readed the whole thread and some others also but I have no answer.

You got time?Good it for you then you can complete it totally free.

You spend half of your life at work?Then you got some money to spend and you can have both mounts with some help.

and in the end more income for developers which in my opinion is the most important thing because without it we cannot have the game running as it is now.

You complete one half with time and other half with gemstore or tradehouse items,fair share.

It's a Win win situation yet many does not wants it,why?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 8

On 10/9/2022 at 12:29 AM, Albi.7250 said:

They insist its not a requirement, fine maybe.

Yeah, because they're not.

Not having a Skyscale makes a lot of Metas weaker then they should be for non-Skyscale owner, for the reasons listed above.

"Not having skyscale makes a lot of metas weaker"? I don't understand what that's even supposed to mean?

Before you type yourself in a frenzy how I backpaddled or whatever. I have to explain something to you. With real People you face you normally have a discussion to come to a Conclusion or a mutual understanding. So sometimes in the pursuit of getting on with it you drop a point that is not necessary to not devolve in a unproductive mess.

...what "frenzy"? Maybe you're just projecting a little here. I'm just responding to posts. 🤨 At no point I'd consider someone changing their mind due to what was said as "backpeddaling", that's not really what it means to me.

On 10/9/2022 at 2:56 PM, Amnariel.3659 said:

Okay let's make a little bit more constructive and serious the thread.

(...)

The truth is that both sides have good arguments(at least some) but no one wants to agree on anything.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/114501-the-skyscale-quest-line-is-way-too-grindy-and-insulting-merged/page/16/#comment-1774838

Stop trying to skip gameplay in a game, this is ridiculous. You can easly get the rewards at your own pace, regardless of your playtime.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, Albi.7250 said:

Hilarious. Instant gratification? I said some stuff could need some tuning. You clearly play the game to long. Tell me pls what are the requirements to farm Drizzlewood without crippling yourself. But you can't because it would detract from your point.

I should after playing for a long time, in an activity as plebeian as farm trains. I don't even argue for me as I'm in the progress of my skyscale. It is just bad design for the game. Do not worry, Design decisions like these will protect your accomplishments from the greedy hands of newcomers who want to play as equals. They will just choose another game and your accumulations stay untouched.

From the southwest boss flying east needs skyscale, Griffion or Jackal with IBS. 

Honest question here, what game has newcomers equal to multiyear veterans in terms of rewards?

If I were to go play, lets say, FFXIV today would I have as much gold, or other rewards, as someone who has been playing since launch?

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Honest question here, what game has newcomers equal to multiyear veterans in terms of rewards?

If I were to go play, lets say, FFXIV today would I have as much gold, or other rewards, as someone who has been playing since launch?

22 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Hilarious. Instant gratification? I said some stuff could need some tuning.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

v

21 hours ago, Albi.7250 said:

Gryphon would be nice. But that's another long grind for a "new" player. That is the whole POF story I have to play + the Gryphon quest.

Because, you know, apparently playing through the story is too much a for a new player now.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Albi.7250 said:

Skyscale map boss train does too. Gryphon would be nice. But that's another long grind for a "new" player. That is the whole POF story I have to play + the Gryphon quest. Not a problem for people who played PoF as it came out I guess. That's what I am trying to point out. If you come after stuff is introduced you have this long list of thing you should catch up on.

In less civil terms: "Skyscale grind to hard, just use your Gryphon lol"

In most games that you get equipment you need to play through the game before you get the best stuff. Let's say Skyrim, Dragonrend makes most dragons easy, but you need to play the story to get it, you don't just begin the game with your character knowing it. That's the same for people who just started playing today.

Not just games, any hobby. Say you decide to start martial arts... "Can I have a black belt and practice with a sword now? Those guys have black belts and get to... I know they trained, but they started years ago, it's fine for them." They trained for years and earned their black belts. Just like a new student will have to.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Really? because I have the feeling I only get bombarded by confused if I give an honest answer. But here it goes: Most MMO's have  baked in catch up mechanics. Vertical Progression system often reset per expansion naturally. But besides the normal adjustment WoW for example lifted some of the grinds of their systems to ease the burden. Profession like tailoring could be skilled expansion specific so you didn't have to grind all the low levels. System like azurite got adjusted mid expansion to ease progress for Alts/Returning Players. BDO has server with faster exp rate if I remember correctly. Obviously not equal rewards, but standing somewhat on equal footing.

Knew it:).

Edited by Albi.7250
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, Albi.7250 said:

Really? because I have the feeling I only get bombarded by confused if I give an honest answer. But here it goes: Most MMO's have  baked in catch up mechanics. Vertical Progression system often reset per expansion naturally. But besides the normal adjustment WoW for example lifted some of the grinds of their systems to ease the burden. Profession like tailoring could be skilled expansion specific so you didn't have to grind all the low levels. System like azurite got adjusted mid expansion to ease progress for Alts/Returning Players. BDO has server with faster exp rate if I remember correctly. Obviously not equal rewards, but standing somewhat on equal footing.

TBH, WoW, being a Blizard game is not a good company to follow the example of. Overwatch is by Blizard. I remember Officer D.Va being the first event skin I got, back when we needed to do the Heroes of the Storm  stuff to get it. Then a few weeks after the event ended Blizard put Officer D.Va in the loot boxes with all the other non event skins. And those of us who did the HotS got nothing. That's why I'd say, don't request them to go down he Blizard route.

Rings true here though. Say they make the Skyscale quests easy. Anyone can get it in an afternoon... What about those of us who did the full set of collections to earn a Skyscale? Do we get something or do we get forgotten about like Blizard did when they released Officer D.Va in loot boxes?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sinmir.6504 said:

Say they make the Skyscale quests easy. Anyone can get it in an afternoon... What about those of us who did the full set of collections to earn a Skyscale? Do we get something or do we get forgotten about like Blizard did when they released Officer D.Va in loot boxes?

What exactly would you lose if they for example they remove the time gate on treats? Your Parents/grandparents probably washed their cloths with out a washing mashing, are you taking away from them because you bought one in your twenty's instead of waiting till 50 to get one. Like I'm close to finishing my skyscale, why the kitten would I care if they removed stupid kitten like the time gate?

Bunch of hoarding boomers.XD You got the fun experience didn't you?

Edited by Albi.7250
  • Like 1
  • Confused 9

20 minutes ago, Albi.7250 said:

Knew it:).

Conveniently skipping how gw2, at the very least (in attempt to still stay relevant to this thread and your post):

-already changed time gate for skyscale (rather soon after it's release I think?)

-has additional methods of acquiring stacks of LW currencies relevant to skyscale acquisition (already mentioned in this thread, from what I remember somehow neither you nor another person complaining about wasn't too eager to acknowledge that?)

-gw2s recently added character adventure guide rewards players -per character- with additional xp, so the leveling is significantly faster without "BDO's fast xp server" concept.

Apparently still not enough, but just look at THOSE games!

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Albi.7250 said:

We devolved into defending time gates now did we? Hilarious.

Funny how you've quoted my post but didn't respond to what it said, you understood that a short while later and removed the quote while leaving that weird strawman just hanging in there by itself 😉 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Albi.7250 said:

What exactly would you lose if they for example they remove the time gate on treats? Your Parents/grandparents probably washed their cloths with out a washing mashing, are you taking away from them because you bought one in your twenty's instead of waiting till 50 to get one. Like I'm close to finishing my skyscale, why the kitten would I care if they removed stupid kitten like the time gate?

Bunch of hoarding boomers.XD You got the fun experience didn't you?

I'm not so sure about that, my grandparents were born in the 1930s, a quick search on google, washing machines were about long before that.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Sinmir.6504 said:

I'm not so sure about that, my grandparents were born in the 1930s, a quick search on google, washing machines were about long before that.

Well from talking to mine they were not common enough to be owned by mine, who were born in a similar timeframe. Anyways why exactly should you or I care if they remove stupid "content" like the time gates?

• Confused 6

3 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/114501-the-skyscale-quest-line-is-way-too-grindy-and-insulting-merged/page/16/#comment-1774838

Stop trying to skip gameplay in a game, this is ridiculous. You can easly get the rewards at your own pace, regardless of your playtime.

I farmed both mounts I just do not want ever to exprience that pain again,yes for some is a pain believe it or not.

There should be other ways to get something this important,that's it you like it or not.

Farm it if you wish if you got nothing better to do and let us who have other better things to do to get things in our own way especially if a situation is good for the player and the game developers alike.

Until a game gives f2p ways to get something that game is qualified for all the support it can get but if some things are accessible only via spending that game not worths a single dime.Luckily GW2 is one of the best f2p games on earth right now and I hope the developers think twice before making such quests like Skyscale.

Yes I am that kind of player who bear spending a few dollars to get what it wants and compensate my lack of time.I do hard work enough in PL when I join a game I like to relax and not to check wikis,yt vids and other things how to get a thing which leads to the other thing which allows me to qualify for the thing I want.

Offnote: I don't want to make it a reply fest cuz the moderators will close the topic and it would be a waste because at least a topic addressing this issue survived long enough, but instead of trying to extinguish everybody you should give full argument why are we wrong and you are right instead of throwing words to everybody who disagree with you or your love for excessive grinding.

Offnote2: First comment was from my brother we play 2 the same account because I no longer have time to face all the grind GW2 throws toward me.I come to forum to read if anything gets changed.I wanted to sell my account but he convinced me to not with all the effort I put in so he keeps playing and sometimes I do too until there will be a GW2 which was somewhere near like the beginning.

• Confused 6

18 minutes ago, Amnariel.3659 said:

I farmed both mounts I just do not want ever to exprience that pain again,yes for some is a pain believe it or not.

I'm a little lost here. What both mounts?

There should be other ways to get something this important,that's it you like it or not.

And it's important why exactly? It sure is a versatile mount, but that's nowhere near being required. You're perfectly fine with using other mounts according to their strengths.

Farm it if you wish if you got nothing better to do and let us who have other better things to do to get things in our own way especially if a situation is good for the player and the game developers alike.

Except innitially you've said you're unable to have it because you don't play a lot. You can still complete parts of the collections, you can still go for the "return to" achievements to get the stacks of currencies needed for skyscale. So what exactly is the issue now? It really is just "having to play for a reward" at all, isn't it?

Offnote: I don't want to make it a reply fest cuz the moderators will close the topic and it would be a waste because at least a topic addressing this issue survived long enough, but instead of trying to extinguish everybody you should give full argument why are we wrong and you are right instead of throwing words to everybody who disagree with you or your love for excessive grinding.

You've completely skipped the post on the previous page (which I also linked above) addressing your "but I have no time!" so feel free to go back to it again.

Offnote2: First comment was from my brother we play 2 the same account because I no longer have time to face all the grind GW2 throws toward me.I come to forum to read if anything gets changed.I wanted to sell my account but he convinced me to not with all the effort I put in so he keeps playing and sometimes I do too until there will be a GW2 which was somewhere near like the beginning.

Ah yes, the good old "it was my cousin/brother!". But if that's the case, your brother can get the skyscale then?

Anyways... all I see from this part of the post is you're basically not playing.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

37 minutes ago, Albi.7250 said:

What exactly would you lose if they for example they remove the time gate on treats? Like I'm close to finishing my skyscale, why the kitten would I care if they removed stupid kitten like the time gate?

5 minutes ago, Albi.7250 said:

Anyways why exactly should you or I care if they remove stupid "content" like the time gates?

Also, why exactly should you ...care if they don't remove stupid "content" like the time gates? Especially since you are close to finishing, as you kept reminding us.

If they nerfed everything every time because some players just want the easy route, soon we'll have a game with no challenges whatsoever. I'm sure some players might like it but how many will play a game that requires little to no effort? Can you say "boring"? Ok, I've got my Skyscale in 1 day and  all my legendary items in a month. There's nothing else to strive for. Maybe, I'll check out a more interesting game that just came out instead.

It matters to me. I do care that they keep a game that I like and play interesting enough and with plenty of challenges to attract new players, and to retain existing players. And this includes items such as time-gates, materials, time investments, etc. The premium items should never be easy to obtain. Doesn't matter if I already have the items or for items yet to be introduced.

28 minutes ago, Amnariel.3659 said:

For something this important, it should never be easy or it'll just cheapen the process and the game. Best items should always be the toughest to acquire.

• Like 6

So, if a friend of mine who plays WoW has millions of gold that took him years of play to accumulate there is a baked in catch up mechanic that will quickly give me the same amount (presumably in less time than it takes to get a skyscale in gw2)? So, less than a month?

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

It matters to me. I do care that they keep a game that I like and play interesting enough and with plenty of challenges to attract new players, and to retain existing players.

"Commander come back in 2 hours" "Commander wait 2 days to feed your skyscale"  🤡

Edited by Albi.7250
  • Confused 4

8 minutes ago, Albi.7250 said:

"Commander come back in 2 hours" "Commander wait 2 days to feed your skyscale"  🤡

I do care that they keep a game that I like and play interesting enough and with plenty of challenges to attract new players, and to retain existing players. And this includes items such as time-gates, materials, time investments, etc.

Interesting is the keyword. Not a copy/paste requirements for everything. Time-gates =/= waiting there for 2 hours or 2 days. Do other things that will advance the process while waiting. Gather mats. Continue with other achievements. Unless of course, when you see messages like that, you literally just camp out there waiting for 2 hours or 2 days. And come to forum to gripe about it. 😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Machineuzi.5604 said:

I feel like some of the frequent responders here would have gotten the Skyscale if they devoted the same commitment/time to obtain it as they have in commenting here

Two thumbs up !! And I would add they DON"T want to put in the effort (Lazy???) as well as feeling entitled.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1