Some thoughts on improving GW2 economy.

that nobody is going to implement but I am just enjoying feeling smart and writing up [supposedly] smart things 😜

I have played different MMO's with economies and crafting like EVE, Albion, Crowfall and ESO and I think GW2 could use to get the best features out of those.

Main feature that I think needs to be implemented is crafting timers. Having crafting done by the masters to whom you deliver materials and then they spend some minutes on refinement and basic gear, hours for exotics and days and weeks for ascended and legendary gear would achieve realism (having a grunt hand-making a complicated magical item in under a minute is quite silly). Current restriction on ascended mat crafting per day tries to achieve the same thing but it is obviously a crude solution and it doesn't works - anyone can get enough ascended mats from trade post for anything if he is proficient at obtaining gold, devaluing ascended items.

Said masters will require leveling and can be guild bound, enabling for big, rich guilds to supply their members with better gear for cheap or free.

To supplement this, items must be made breakable from use without an option for repair which would serve as a great stimulus for crafting more. Currently, there is a massive excess of most resources on tp because everyone gets some leveling gear, exotics, ascendeds and that's it. Having the best gear to cost a lot to maintain would also serve as an incentive for rich irl players to buy gems for rm. And be more careful about taking damage and whacking skritt with legendary hammers. Having an enchantments from ESO for high-tier weapons that would deplete from use and need to be recharged using rituals with expensive, hard to obtain ingredients would add a layer of complexity to this. An EVE's principle "never fly what you cannot afford to lose" could make a glorious appearance in GW2.

Of course it would also require to remove account bound restrictions on all gear, more fully allowing for natural separation of players into crafters and wallet warriors.

What needs to be removed is horrible system of gear drops that makes ESO insane - enchanted axe from mudcrab, aha, and if you spend some time killing, green gear overflows your inventory. Current GW2 gear dropping is insane as well, and mass salvaging of those drops is fixing craziness with madness. I have a LOT of Agent of Entropy achievements (and am not happy about it) because vendoring those drops is even more senseless as it removes resources from economy. Replacing all gear from drops and event rewards with crafting components that cannot be obtained by gathering or hunting creatures, and using magic find system to improve chances for otherwise quite low drop rate of high tier components would make much more sense. And salvaging for luck and mats shall be used on wrecks of broken gear, like in EVE.

Anyway, commense to spam "confused" and disagree!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 16
  • Sad 1

How is waiting weeks for some NPC to craft your new ascended armor considered fun?

How is your rather expensive and extremely time gated ascended weapon or armor breaking fun?

Meh, doesn't matter, your overall proposal changes the entire basis of GW2's economy / drops / etc so won't happen.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paShadoWn.5723 said:

that nobody is going to implement but I am just enjoying feeling smart and writing up [supposedly] smart things 😜

I have played different MMO's with economies and crafting like EVE, Albion, Crowfall and ESO and I think GW2 could use to get the best features out of those.

Main feature that I think needs to be implemented is crafting timers. Having crafting done by the masters to whom you deliver materials and then they spend some minutes on refinement and basic gear, hours for exotics and days and weeks for ascended and legendary gear would achieve realism (having a grunt hand-making a complicated magical item in under a minute is quite silly). Current restriction on ascended mat crafting per day tries to achieve the same thing but it is obviously a crude solution and it doesn't works - anyone can get enough ascended mats from trade post for anything if he is proficient at obtaining gold, devaluing ascended items.

Said masters will require leveling and can be guild bound, enabling for big, rich guilds to supply their members with better gear for cheap or free.

To supplement this, items must be made breakable from use without an option for repair which would serve as a great stimulus for crafting more. Currently, there is a massive excess of most resources on tp because everyone gets some leveling gear, exotics, ascendeds and that's it. Having the best gear to cost a lot to maintain would also serve as an incentive for rich irl players to buy gems for rm. And be more careful about taking damage and whacking skritt with legendary hammers. Having an enchantments from ESO for high-tier weapons that would deplete from use and need to be recharged using rituals with expensive, hard to obtain ingredients would add a layer of complexity to this. An EVE's principle "never fly what you cannot afford to lose" could make a glorious appearance in GW2.

Of course it would also require to remove account bound restrictions on all gear, more fully allowing for natural separation of players into crafters and wallet warriors.

What needs to be removed is horrible system of gear drops that makes ESO insane - enchanted axe from mudcrab, aha, and if you spend some time killing, green gear overflows your inventory. Current GW2 gear dropping is insane as well, and mass salvaging of those drops is fixing craziness with madness. I have a LOT of Agent of Entropy achievements (and am not happy about it) because vendoring those drops is even more senseless as it removes resources from economy. Replacing all gear from drops and event rewards with crafting components that cannot be obtained by gathering or hunting creatures, and using magic find system to improve chances for otherwise quite low drop rate of high tier components would make much more sense. And salvaging for luck and mats shall be used on wrecks of broken gear, like in EVE.

Yea... this all is a big solid no, this is introducing time gates for the sake of doing so, the system is as good as it is for a reason. 

1 hour ago, paShadoWn.5723 said:

Anyway, commense to spam "confused" and disagree!

Also this lil extra is just a completely pointless show of passive-aggressiveness that takes away all the respect and attention your arguments could have. 

So, if you present yourself like this, then why one should bother treating you seriously?

Edited by Zauriel Mooncat.4968
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

How is waiting weeks for some NPC to craft your new ascended armor considered fun?

How is your rather expensive and extremely time gated ascended weapon or armor breaking fun?

It is answered in the post, but I can reiterate.

You won't have to wait if you don't like to because of account bound removal, so you can buy it instantly.

Re-buying expensive weapons would add more meaning to gaining gold, because currently all you can do with it after playing for some time is to dump it into gems into largely useless stuff and shinies.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 4

5 minutes ago, paShadoWn.5723 said:

It is answered in the post, but I can reiterate.

You won't have to wait if you don't like to because of account bound removal, so you can buy it instantly.

Re-buying expensive weapons would add more meaning to gaining gold, because currently all you can do with it after playing for some time is to dump it into gems into largely useless stuff and shinies.

So what is really wrong with that?

Rather be able to buy uesless stuff and shinies then weekly gates just because you feel its more fun.

Edit

And I cant understand how you feel this was even a smrt (homer meme) suggestion for this game.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

So what is really wrong with that?

Welp, you work hard and even kill (lol) for that gold and then you waste it in one massive poof of gem purchase? I've got 666 gold left after purchasing the storage expansion and that got me thinking. Clearly Red Dragon Satan views such an act as a sin.

Another point you have missed is that you don't have to use the best gear if you can't afford it or doing some easy content.

Edited by paShadoWn.5723
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

15 minutes ago, paShadoWn.5723 said:

Welp, you work hard and even kill (lol) for that gold and then you waste it in one massive poof of gem purchase? I've got 666 gold left after purchasing the storage expansion and that got me thinking. Clearly Red Dragon Satan views such an act as a sin.

Another point you have missed is that you don't have to use the best gear if you can't afford it or doing some easy content.

Yes and a point you seem to have missed is games are usualy built around these crafting concepts from the get go not changed 9 years down the line.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yes and a point you seem to have missed is games are usualy built around these crafting concepts from the get go not changed 9 years down the line.

Anet had shown ability and willingness to make small, patch-like changes, like gathering glyphs and unidentified gear, so there is a possibility of a big rework that would require almost no new graphical assets and only adjusting some code.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

You should rename it to "ideas to make the economy worse", and start with "let's take the worst ideas of those games economy"

Also, most of the ideas you're proposing are working actively against the core pillars of the game so that's a big no.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, paShadoWn.5723 said:

Having crafting done by the masters to whom you deliver materials and then they spend some minutes on refinement and basic gear, hours for exotics and days and weeks for ascended and legendary gear would achieve realism (having a grunt hand-making a complicated magical item in under a minute is quite silly).

Another way to achieve realism would be to have my character poop.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

14 minutes ago, ASP.8093 said:

Another way to achieve realism would be to have my character poop.

Screw it, let's make people with bows craft arrows to use their skills too.

And get rid of inventory bags, my character can't possibly carry that much stuff!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Lottie.5370 said:

Screw it, let's make people with bows craft arrows to use their skills too.

And get rid of inventory bags, my character can't possibly carry that much stuff!

For every four unidentified items I pick up, my character's graphics should change to add another grocery bag in their hands.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4