What is the future of GW2?

I'm just wondering what direction Arenanet will take GW2 in the upcoming months/years. The EOD expansion was for me not that appealing, quality wise and features wise you can definitely see that the other 2 expansions were way more polished and packed.

Personally I would like to see:

- New features (Different gametypes PVE/PVP) that are interesting and fun to do that  actually have real rewards that mean something, instead of getting loot-boxes of mats that are worth nothing. 

- Making Dungeons/Raids more meaningful reward wise, instead rewarding players with 2-3gold /LOL whats the point in doing them? . 

- Let us have some kind of tokens to get items with it like set-item with specific buffs from a vendor,  if you are not willing to make truly new gear that have higher stats. Running around for several years with the same gear stat wise, it just feels old and is not exiting. 

- Adding new classes/professions.

- Having a roadmap for new fresh players, more in-game explanation instead to be reliant on 3th party sites for information.

- Upgrading the graphic engine? To keep up with the time.

- Improving the performance? I know DX11 is here, but is that all?

- Adding more CPU/GPU initialization so that new hardware can make use of it,  instead having a high-end system that you can't benefit from playing GW2 because of the old engine.

GW2 has more potential but somehow it feels like Arenanet is holding back. 

Edited by venator.8326
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

5 minutes ago, Rauderi.8706 said:

More grinding to pad play hours metrics. 

Well the game is build around endless achievement grinds. Having at least some grind that puts some meaningful rewards into your hands sounds not that bad to me. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Sounds like OP might be interested in a completely different game; I think there are plenty others to choose from. 

Do you think I'm the only one that thinks the reward system in GW2 is bad and mostly useless? Don't get me wrong I love the game and I like to play it but the reward system is just bad as a lot of other GW2 players have stated on social platforms. I know there is always the hardcore crowd that dislikes changes even if is for the beter because they never knew otherwise and I can't blame them. This is just my own opinion.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

11 minutes ago, venator.8326 said:

Well the game is build around endless achievement grinds. Having at least some grind that puts some meaningful rewards into your hands sounds not that bad to me. 

I'm not against "some" grind, and it's true the Collection system points players to plenty of things to do. The ratio of hours to reward is way off, though, especially for anything introduced during IBS and later. I could, and have elsewhere, expound on the nature of Collection Abuse, so I won't delve further, but tldr: rewards bad. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, venator.8326 said:

And what do you propose to do once you have acquired those meaningful rewards?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

40 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

And what do you propose to do once you have acquired those meaningful rewards?  

new content with new meaningful rewards lol. This is an MMO not a singleplayer game. The devs need to constantly work on and put out new content with new rewards.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Y'all are acting like the dude hates the game. He clearly said HOT and POF Had more content in the maps and EOD doesn't. This is true. 

EOD was rushed. There's no way around that. IBS maps had more content, better rewards, better metas and better quality. 

I believe season 6 we will see a return to the quality map content since they will have sufficient time to create them unlike EOD maps. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 8

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Rereading this, I wonder what "regular" means in "...regular 'State of the Game' blog post". It's been about a month and a half since this post. Are they shooting for every other month? Quarterly? Semi-annually?

1 hour ago, venator.8326 said:

Do you think I'm the only one that thinks the reward system in GW2 is bad and mostly useless? Don't get me wrong I love the game and I like to play it but the reward system is just bad as a lot of other GW2 players have stated on social platforms. I know there is always the hardcore crowd that dislikes changes even if is for the beter because they never knew otherwise and I can't blame them. This is just my own opinion.

You're not the only one, but you have to realize that there are people playing GW2 precisely because the reward system is different. It's not because we "never knew otherwise." It's because we have known otherwise in countless other MMORPGs and have found our home here specifically because there is no grind of increasingly powerful gear.

Your oblique reference to gear grind in your third point is going to trigger a reaction out of that reality.

It's not resistance to change just because we don't like change. When people say that you might like other MMOs better, it's not from a dismissive "love it or leave it" place, but out of a truth that many of us have chosen GW2 because it's not like a lot of other MMOs. Rather than change this one MMO that caters to a different preference, it'd be better to go enjoy all of the ones that follow the model you prefer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

I'm pretty sure people who like farming currencies for skins will be the only people who stick with the game. Or farming gold to convert to gems for skins. It's all the same.

You are right, I have been hearing that from other players also. Also that is the only end-game atm in GW2 and has been for a while sadly. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

People calling for a gear grind should really go play another game.

Guild Wars 2 is the single current big MMORPG that doesn't have a gear grind. This was the major selling point of the game and it's the main differential it has.

They won't change it (Ascended gear was already a mistake). Easier for you all to go play wow.

There you can get all your "meaningful rewards" of gears with higher and higher numbers for you to keep making 99.9% of the game world useless because the numbers aren't as high as the high and high numbers that keep going high and high.

Edited by Ellye.9123
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Duilyon.7658 said:

Y'all are acting like the dude hates the game. He clearly said HOT and POF Had more content in the maps and EOD doesn't. This is true. 

EOD was rushed. There's no way around that. IBS maps had more content, better rewards, better metas and better quality. 

I believe season 6 we will see a return to the quality map content since they will have sufficient time to create them unlike EOD maps. 

They had sufficient time though. For the time spent on four maps (two years?), there was more more than enough time - especially after IBS was foreshortened for it. 

Im still not yet convinced a season 6 is coming, but I’m also not seeing why they have more time now when expansion 4 is also in development. If people are saying EoD is rushed when a season was basically cut down to focus on an expac, how could there be more time if a full season and a full expac are being developed simultaneously?

I think this is just the new standard - one some love, one some do not.

op - as for the future, I think we will see more sporadic releases and less focus on full seasons. Single maps with isolated stories maybe whilst season 1 continues, possibly leading into the expac. More like a season-lite than a season 6

Im also expecting skiffs to be a stepping stone to bigger things in terms of ships.

Edited by Randulf.7614

1 hour ago, Ellye.9123 said:

People calling for a gear grind should really go play another game.

Guild Wars 2 is the single current big MMORPG that doesn't have a gear grind. This was the major selling point of the game and it's the main differential it has.

They won't change it (Ascended gear was already a mistake). Easier for you all to go play wow.

There you can get all your "meaningful rewards" of gears with higher and higher numbers for you to keep making 99.9% of the game world useless because the numbers aren't as high as the high and high numbers that keep going high and high.

Yea even wow noticed the massive fault with that system hence why they went from lvl was it 120 back to level 60? to stat squish their game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, venator.8326 said:

You're definitely not the only one. But what does that mean. Maybe there are six of you. So what?

On other the other hand the people I play with, and there are quite a few of them, don't find the reward system bad. We hear less about the reward system than we do other complaints over the years.  This is a game of trickles. You don't get that big drop. It favors people who farm, and that's a community too. But it also favors casual people who can chip away at stuff and eventually get something. The people most disadvantaged are the hard core crowd who want better rewards for doing harder content, which would affect the people who don't want to do that content, because there would be reward pressure. Legendary armor in raids showed that.

At the end of the day, not every system in any game is going to appeal to everyone. But just because you're not the only one who feels this way (I'm sure there are some of you), doesn't mean you're a majority or even a significant percentage.

I see lots of people complaining about stories crashing in cut scenes. Lots. They're not the only ones. But they are a significantly small percentage of the playerbase. If they weren't you'd hear about it a lot more than you hear about it now.

The truth is, the reward system, while it could use some tweaking, is likely pretty solid for a decent percentage of the playerbase. Just not you and people in your demographic.

Edited by Vayne.8563
wrong word
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1