Gw2 Earnings 1Q-2022!

You won't see End of Dragons in the Q1-2022 sales because most players prepurchased it last year. When an expansion takes 1-2 years to develop it generally gets sold over the course of development and not when its released, except for the most cautious players. or those who didn't have the money before now.

From Q1-2021 to Q4-2021 there's a massive increase in profit of 36%, indicating during this time the expansion was selling rather than just the regular gemstore sales.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

You won't see End of Dragons in the Q1-2022 sales because most players prepurchased it last year. When an expansion takes 1-2 years to develop it generally gets sold over the course of development and not when its released, except for the most cautious players. or those who didn't have the money before now.

yeah, this fit the graphic:

- pre-purchase EOD started to be availiable on july-2021...

- then the gw2 "jumped" from 16 to 19 from Q2 to Q3, and maintened increasing.

• Like 4

Seems like NC Soft, a South Korean traded company, doesn't follow accounting standards set by the US SEC for US traded companies.

Still I don't know how to cut the charts, to see that this expac sold more than POF. I guess ongoing revenue (gem sales) fuzzy up the charts enough the obscure the sales).

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

https://i.ibb.co/VjRWq0n/gw22.png

Isnt it a bit low considering the expansion sales? its even lower than 4Q-2021.

PD: Idk how i can add the image directly on the post!

Seems very low for GW2, Lets hope the development of 4th expansion won't be affected if revenue for GW2 keeps dropping. Only time will tell but it is dangerously low.  And overal just look at the mobile vs pc revenue, mobile is crushing it.....lets hope NCSOFT won't wake up one day having a bad day sack the PC department totally to shift all those dev's towards mobile games because of profit.  

Edited by venator.8326
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

https://i.ibb.co/VjRWq0n/gw22.png

Isnt it a bit low considering the expansion sales? its even lower than 4Q-2021.

I have added the reported Q1-2022 numbers in my 2012-2022 sales overview diagram and put it on my discord:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/685436537827098645/974557513645174844/gw2-sales-2012q3-2022q1.jpg

4 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

PD: Idk how i can add the image directly on the post!

embedding images is not allowed in the forum (anymore).

4 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

You won't see End of Dragons in the Q1-2022 sales because most players prepurchased it last year.

NCsoft usually (they said it in a analyst call years ago) financially reports prepurchases in the quarter of the release (of the game/expansion). This means, if NCsoft is not stating otherwise now how they financially report EoD prepurchases, that the EoD prepurchases are included in the Q1-2022 report and are not included in the 2021 revenue reports.

If we compare the release quarter of PoF (q3/2017,  20,145 KRW) with the release quarter of EoD (q1/2022, 20,217 KRW) Anets statement, that EoD was sold more than PoF, would/could still be true.

4 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

From Q1-2021 to Q4-2021 there's a massive increase in profit of 36%, indicating during this time the expansion was selling rather than just the regular gemstore sales

The revenue increase in 2020 and 2021 was mainly because of a big influx of new and returning players caused by COVID-19 and then Anet was able to sustain/support that momentum (their statement in an interview).

My guess: The "Living world return" bonus events (free LW episode unlocks, you get a free legendary and a free pre-cursor), the "legendary armory" (increased value/usefulness of legendary gear, more players are getting legendary gear) etc. all happened in 2021 and did help a lot with that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 9

7 minutes ago, venator.8326 said:

Seems very low for GW2, Lets hope the development of 4th expansion won't be affected if revenue for GW2 keeps dropping. Only time will tell but it is dangerously low.

Look at my link https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/685436537827098645/974557513645174844/gw2-sales-2012q3-2022q1.jpg from my previous post to see all GW2 quarterly revenues compared since release of the game.

Q2/2016-Q3/2017 (after HoT a lot of players left the game) and Q4/2019 (mass layoffs in 2019, no expansions but instead IBS and IBS probably disappointed a lot of players) were dangerously low. But a quarterly revenue of 20,000 KRW or better seems to be OK for GW2 to have a future because (with ups and downs) GW2 is around the 20,000 KRW line for a long time (it was there already in 2014).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

I have added the reported Q1-2022 numbers in my 2012-2022 sales overview diagram and put it on my discord:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/685436537827098645/974557513645174844/gw2-sales-2012q3-2022q1.jpg

embedding images is not allowed in the forum (anymore).

NCsoft usually (they said it in a analyst call years ago) financially reports prepurchases in the quarter of the release (of the game/expansion). This means, if NCsoft is not stating otherwise now how they financially report EoD prepurchases, that the EoD prepurchases are included in the Q1-2022 report and are not included in the 2021 revenue reports.

If we compare the release quarter of PoF (q3/2017,  20,145 KRW) with the release quarter of EoD (q1/2022, 20,217 KRW) Anets statement, that EoD was sold more than PoF, would/could still be true.

The revenue increase in 2020 and 2021 was mainly because of a big influx of new and returning players caused by COVID-19 and then Anet was able to sustain/support that momentum (their statement in an interview).

My guess: The "Living world return" bonus events (free LW episode unlocks, you get a free legendary and a free pre-cursor), the "legendary armory" (increased value/usefulness of legendary gear, more players are getting legendary gear) etc. all happened in 2021 and did help a lot with that.

There was a Reddit thread about this and most players agreed that its due to the prepurchase becoming available. Guild Wars 2 isn't the same as other NCSoft games, as NCSoft is a Korean company but ArenaNet is American. so there's extra layers of economic (and legal and political) matters involved.

The other games listed are developed by NCSoft directly.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

Look at my link https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/685436537827098645/974557513645174844/gw2-sales-2012q3-2022q1.jpg from my previous post to see all GW2 quarterly revenues compared since release of the game.

Q2/2016-Q3/2017 (after HoT a lot of players left the game) and Q4/2019 (mass layoffs in 2019, no expansions but instead IBS and IBS probably disappointed a lot of players) were dangerously low. But a quarterly revenue of 20,000 KRW or better seems to be OK for GW2 to have a future because (with ups and downs) GW2 is around the 20,000 KRW line for a long time (it was there already in 2014).

SO if the 20,000krw line was there before 2014 the only increase in profit that NcSoft made with GW2 was when the layoffs happened in 2019. That is a very BAD sign...Furthermore if the revenue stays at 20k and NcSoft is not satisfied with the revenue, they could layoff even more gw2 dev's that would mean a skeleton dev crew will be left working on GW2, that would translate to no new content, players would quit the game and the game will slowly die... Lets hope the steam release will boost the revenue for GW2 else it could be a disaster and the start of the end for GW2 this time around. 

Edited by venator.8326
  • Confused 2

44 minutes ago, venator.8326 said:

SO if the 20,000krw line was there before 2014 the only increase in profit that NcSoft made with GW2 was when the layoffs happened in 2019.

Do you mix profit/earnings with revenue/sales or are the any public quarterly profit/earnings reports from NCsoft about Anet/GW2?

1 hour ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

There was a Reddit thread about this and most players agreed that its due to the prepurchase becoming available.

Did NCsoft recently announce that they have changed their reporting about (GW2) pre-purchase sales? Just because reddit agrees to something does not mean it's correct.

EDIT: And look at the revenue before the HoT and PoF release quarters. Shouldn't there be also a significant increase if pre-purchases would have been reported before the release quarter?

1 hour ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Guild Wars 2 isn't the same as other NCSoft games, as NCSoft is a Korean company but ArenaNet is American. so there's extra layers of economic (and legal and political) matters involved.

I agree. That's why there are some requirements/rules for financial reporting.

Edited by Zok.4956

47 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

If pre-purchase revenue is rolled into release quarter earnings, what caused the big revenue increase right after PoF released? 

I am not sure.

Maybe a lot of players that left because of HoT waited until player reactions after the release of PoF and did not pre-purchase. The release date of PoF was at the end of September (22th.), so revenue of players that waited around a week after release with purchasing the game would be counted/reported in October/Q4.

Also: The release of an expansion means more players are in the game and more gem purchases afterwards.

EDIT: With HoT it was different. A lot of players pre-purchased because it was the first expansion and there was a long content draught before.  And then a lof of players left the game because  they don't liked HoT and the revenue went down after the release.

47 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I also don't see any particular revenue increase when the lay-offs occurred.

revenue is sales not earnings/profit. lay-offs reduce costs.   profit/earnings = revenue/sales minus costs. 🙂

P.S. lay-offs can reduce revenue if customers do not buy anymore because they do not believe in the product/service/company anymore because of the lay-offs.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 1

I'm more curious about what's going on with Lineage. GW2's average earnings have been around the same for years now and every quarter when the numbers are announced there's someone saying it's proof the game is dying or NCSoft will shut it down soon (even if profit has increased) but it's always kept going. Also if we go strictly by profit for NCSoft Blade & Soul would go first because it's earning less, or Aion which has dropped out the chart completely. In the past 10 years the only game I remember being included here and then getting shut down was Wildstar and that saw rapidly dropping profits, to the point where they barely showed on these charts and then got merged into 'other PC games'.

But Lineage has always been NCSoft's big game, and now it's had 4 consecutive quarters of dropping profits, followed by a slight recovery. It accounts for most of the drop seen in the totals from Q1 to Q4 of 2021. I don't play Lineage so I have no idea what could cause that, but just going off these reports it's surprising.

I definitely can understand why it's hard for Anet to make more money. 

Years ago, Anet had a way better gem store. 

Thats when me and others I know where dropping some money regularly. 

I can't remember the last time they put a good looking outfit in the store. 

QoL stuff. Where did that go? 

We have so many mount skins by now that new ones need to be extra extra awesome to get me interested. 

Weapon skins have become a lightshow. 😒

I have said it for years now, I have money to spend but the Gem Store is just lack luster. 

• Confused 3

20 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I definitely can understand why it's hard for Anet to make more money. 

Years ago, Anet had a way better gem store. 

Thats when me and others I know where dropping some money regularly. 

I can't remember the last time they put a good looking outfit in the store. 

QoL stuff. Where did that go? 

We have so many mount skins by now that new ones need to be extra extra awesome to get me interested. 

Weapon skins have become a lightshow. 😒

I have said it for years now, I have money to spend but the Gem Store is just lack luster. 

I did not know they don't update the gem store with new items. So it is just the stuff they already made years ago that they keep cycling in the gemstore? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, venator.8326 said:

I did not know they don't update the gem store with new items. So it is just the stuff they already made years ago that they keep cycling in the gemstore? 

They do new stuff. But the new stuff is not of the quality that makes me wanna buy it. 

I'm not gonna buy a Greatsword skin that radiates more light in one minute then I got last year in rl. 

I buy stuff like shared inv slots but it took them YEARS to increase the max number despite the fact that soooooo many people asked for it every single time they were on sale. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, PseudoNewb.5468 said:

Seems like NC Soft, a South Korean traded company, doesn't follow accounting standards set by the US SEC for US traded companies.

Funnily enough in all the previous cases they filed the expansion preorder sales in the quarter when the expansion actually launched. So i have no idea why people think that this time they did it differently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

But Lineage has always been NCSoft's big game, and now it's had 4 consecutive quarters of dropping profits, followed by a slight recovery. It accounts for most of the drop seen in the totals from Q1 to Q4 of 2021. I don't play Lineage so I have no idea what could cause that, but just going off these reports it's surprising.

It's the same as with massive drops of sales for Blade and Soul - it's a byproduct of NCsoft moving those franchises to Mobile. It's just Lineage had a much more stable following, so it did not crash and burn like B&S did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's the same as with massive drops of sales for Blade and Soul - it's a byproduct of NCsoft moving those franchises to Mobile. It's just Lineage had a much more stable following, so it did not crash and burn like B&S did.

Thanks.

I assumed the mobile version was separate, like Pokemon Go and Pokemon Sword/Shield/whatever the new ones are. I didn't realise it was actually being used as a replacement for the main game. 

• Like 1