Still Interested in Elementalist, but Wary.

I STILL do want to give it a chance and play through the entire game with it, but every time I try, it just feels...off, like something major is missing or like the class feels neglected. It's honestly why I kinda just shifted to Necromancer, then, eventually, Mesmer. I just came back from a 5 month break and I am genuinely curious if they were able to fix Elementalist's problems or if they made it worse.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, could you maybe go into detail about what you mean by "off" about Elementalist? Perhaps if you tell us what you find that is lacking in it we could try and give you some tips/builds that could help. Is it related to the damage? Lack of surviability? range/melee play?  Also,  which specs are you playing, have you tried all three elite specs along with Core elementalist?

Ele players look out for each other so I'm sure everyone here would be happy to give you some pointers to make it a more enjoyable experience if you tell us a bit more.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleSoftTail.8405 said:

I STILL do want to give it a chance and play through the entire game with it, but every time I try, it just feels...off, like something major is missing or like the class feels neglected. It's honestly why I kinda just shifted to Necromancer, then, eventually, Mesmer. I just came back from a 5 month break and I am genuinely curious if they were able to fix Elementalist's problems or if they made it worse.

You have been given the luxury of reading hundreds of posts everywhere from this wasteland of a forum to the clownfiesta of reddit, dozen of ranking videos of GW2 professions....and you still desire to make an ele in 2022......you are clinically insane..this concept class is pure garbage.

In 2022, unless you play : guardian -necromancer -engineer and revenant...you really need to ask yourself why you did even buy the game...push comes to push...at least you could play a thief or a ranger....anything else.....it's pure garbage.....Now I have warned you....don't whine later, do not make my same mistake...go and make a guardian/necromancer or an engi...you'll thank me

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

You have been given the luxury of reading hundreds of posts everywhere from this wasteland of a forum to the clownfiesta of reddit, dozen of ranking videos of GW2 professions....and you still desire to make an ele in 2022......you are clinically insane..this concept class is pure garbage.

In 2022, unless you play : guardian -necromancer -engineer and revenant...you really need to ask yourself why you did even buy the game...push comes to push...at least you could play a thief or a ranger....anything else.....it's pure garbage.....Now I have warned you....don't whine later, do not make my same mistake...go and make a guardian/necromancer or an engi...you'll thank me

I mean, you could have just told me that the class still wasn't doing well and I would have taken that as advice to still not go for it instead of calling me insane for it. I still want to check up on this class every so often to see if it's improved or still in a bad spot hence why I asked. I am very much interested in it since it, supposed to be, THE mage class, and I don't want to play as a Necro since I've played that to death already in every MMO I've ever played and Mesmer, while I do like it, I am not sure if it fits me anymore.

So yeah, it does sadden me that Elementalist is still not doing well, I remember it being really fun back in the old days of GW2, so yeah...

Edited by LittleSoftTail.8405

24 minutes ago, fuzzyp.6295 said:

Out of curiosity, could you maybe go into detail about what you mean by "off" about Elementalist? Perhaps if you tell us what you find that is lacking in it we could try and give you some tips/builds that could help. Is it related to the damage? Lack of surviability? range/melee play?  Also,  which specs are you playing, have you tried all three elite specs along with Core elementalist?

Ele players look out for each other so I'm sure everyone here would be happy to give you some pointers to make it a more enjoyable experience if you tell us a bit more.

I guess, to be put it simply, it feels lackluster, underwhelming, if you will. It's nothing how I remember it and is why I am wary of playing it. I am a player that greatly prefers soloing and I remember Elementalist being absolutely awful for soloing in HoT, at least.

31 minutes ago, LittleSoftTail.8405 said:

I am very much interested in it since it, supposed to be, THE mage class

Hate to break it to you, but Ele is not "the" mage class. Not since a long time. It's still squishy, yes, but it has no range damage. It's not dangerous if not shutdown fast. Hell, Tempest even has 3 targets max on Overload Air.

You can call Mesmer a Time Mage and that would be more fitting. You're free to play Ele, but don't expect a "Mage".

• Sad 1

Just now, Sunshine.5014 said:

Hate to break it to you, but Ele is not "the" mage class. Not since a long time. It's still squishy, yes, but it has no range damage. It's not dangerous if not shutdown fast. Hell, Tempest even has 3 targets max on Overload Air.

You can call Mesmer a Time Mage and that would be more fitting. You're free to play Ele, but don't expect a "Mage".

That's why I said it's "supposed to be". I heard how Elementalist was basically gutted when it came to ranged stuff so yeah.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LittleSoftTail.8405 said:

I guess, to be put it simply, it feels lackluster, underwhelming, if you will. It's nothing how I remember it and is why I am wary of playing it. I am a player that greatly prefers soloing and I remember Elementalist being absolutely awful for soloing in HoT, at least.

First of all, don't listen to the negativity in the forum, that's merely salt and more often than not it come from the competitive modes.

HoT maps are probably the least beginner friendly maps of the game but they aren't necessarily a challenge for any profession, elementalist included. I've gone through all HoT maps with every single profession and I can tell you that a soloing elementalist isn't the worse experience in these maps.

The main issue with elementalist is that it's skill floor is very low but it's skill ceiling is near unreachable and the profession is balanced around the possibility of reaching this skill ceiling. This situation lead most players to be frustrated by the profession, seeing that other professions seldom struggle to reach their own skill ceiling.

The best course of action with elementalist is to avoid trying to reach the skill ceiling and, instead, go for a build that exploit the fact that the elementalist do have a low skill floor (it's a counter intuitive thing for most but, from experience, it work well in practice). The trick is to artificially limit your possibility by focusing your gameplay around a single attunment and only occasionally look for other attunment for "utilities" that your favored attunment can't provide you. (For example, you can focus on fire attunment with staff and only switch to other attunments for sustain and control).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi OP, Im glad you are still considering ele. Funny, my very first class on GW2 was Mesmer, power burst - it just seemed so unique back then and hope you are enjoying it now. Between ele and mesmer, hmmm, I honestly feel that ele is a better "investment" between the two. It also depends on what mode you are planning on using the class and if you have access to the elite specs. 

For open world, nothing comes close to weaver. In pvp, I've been seeing a lot of tempests and in WvW, staff cata and weaver roamers. 

Edited by greedywholesome.9081
Also tempests in WvW. I still play weaver

Unless you like the fantasy of being a melee fighter using Elemental magic, you should stay away from Elementalist. It's right at the bottom of the pile of professions.

Only Warrior is worse, which is so bad, it even broke through said bottom and falls endlessly.

14 hours ago, LittleSoftTail.8405 said:

If solo PvE is your game then elementalist is actually great on all of its elite specs. It does come with the caveat of a higher learning curve, however, and you still won't do well as a "mage" as melee weapons are strongly favored.

Here's a clip of sword weaver being among the strongest solo play specs: 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LittleSoftTail.8405 said:

AliamRationem provided a great visual for it, but Elementalist is a really good solo'ing class. It's one of the few classes that can best use Celestial gear and you can output a ton of boons across all elite specs.

I play open world, raids, strikes, WvW and GvG as ele, and I think the class does fine in all those areas. I also play Necro, Revenant, and Mesmer when situations may call it and for me personally, I think those classes are just too uninteresting compared to Ele.

• Thanks 1