Suggestion - Way to Re-Skin Legendaries

Hi all,

I've been playing since the head start and in that time I've finally crafted a Legendary for all weapons my main (a Mesmer) can use.  Over time, some of the skins don't really suit her look.  The Aurene weapons are perfect.  I already made a pistol using that skin and its a perfect fit for her.  
It would be nice if there was a way (a quest, a MF recipe, etc.) to convert a Legendary weapon from one skin to another Legendary skin. I'm not saying convert a pistol to a shield, just change the skin type.  Of course it would have to be bound first so you can't sell it.  I'm thinking a quest that takes maybe 10 hours, or a MF recipe that costs about 200g or so.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

It might be odd with how the wardrobe system and legendary system works. They don't often un-unlock things from these systems, unless it's like a strange cash shop skin situation or something. The legendary system also has inconsistencies, such as T2's account bound status vs T1 and T3's account bound on use status. Cheaper legendaries could end up costing more and expensive legendaries could end up costing less. Not to mention the Twice-Told Legend title. I can see such a suggestion being caked in complications.

I kind of get where you are coming from, though. Legendaries don't match certain themes. There are no techno dragon skins, yet I have an Aurene sword on my engineer. Would be kind of sweet if I could get a Bolt or a Shining Blade skin.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, SRoode.7318 said:

And (I know this is really pressing it) they always said Legendaries would always be the best in the game.  If my opinion of best means the skin too, then I should be able to change it.

Well, good news, bad news.

Good news you can do exactly what you want.

Bad news it takes crafting another legendary.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SRoode.7318 said:

Yep.  That's why I said my suggestion only applies to AB Legendaries.  I just want to change the skin.  I want some of my Gen1's to look like Gen3's.

Say it's account bound. That ties together all those legendaries into a single market. A gen 1 could become a discounted gen 3. A person could get Twice-Told Legend by getting two gen 1 weapons, then flipping one of them into another generation's skin. Certain achievements are tied to the skin unlocks and others are tied to the items. It seems like it could get messy real quick. Lots of little tangled parts.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, SRoode.7318 said:

I want to be able to change Gen1 skins to Gen3.  Are you saying you can do that? How?

You can.

Simply craft the legendary which skin you want to use/have. Reskinning is free of charge (or rather charges as in transmutation charges).

What you are actually asking for is a cheaper way to get additional legendary skins which makes less sense imo.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

You can.

Simply craft the legendary which skin you want to use/have. Reskinning is free of charge (or rather charges as in transmitaiton charges).

What you are actually asking for is a cheaper way to get additional legendary skins which makes less sense imo.

What do you mean? I'd love to be able to reskin my Bifrost to Nevermore without having to do any of the collections or crafting, it sounds great!!

200g in the MF sounds about right, don't you think?

/s.

Just craft the legendary if you want the skin, you don't get it for free just because you have a different legendary.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, SRoode.7318 said:

I want to be able to change Gen1 skins to Gen3.  Are you saying you can do that? How?

I just told you you CAN'T change between generations. You can't change Gen1 to Gen3, you need to make them yourself because each have different requirements and material cost to make, you can't just slap 200 gold for the skin.

But you CAN do that with Aurene legendaries. If you have Gen3, you can change it to another Gen3 skin of a different Dragon. Same weapon of course.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lottie.5370 said:

/s.

Just craft the legendary if you want the skin, you don't get it for free just because you have a different legendary.

Yeah this is the response I expected in an MMO.

With the legendary armory you can (and will) get a legendary (craft or buy, whatever) for the utility, not for the  skin. I'm in no way gonna dump 2k gold worth of crap in another skin for the same item slot, I imagine most players won't. This creates the great experience of "hey I really like this skin... but I already have a legendary in this slot, I need to make legendaries for other slots".

But hey if you wanna waste your time so that you feel you earned something, by all means. In my world I earned something through skill/ability, and the time investment is to acquire the skill or ability. Not so I can say "yeah I did a good waste of time there".

Personally I find most legendary skins rarely fit the armor looks I'm going for, so I resort to other skins (both armors and weapons).

IMO its a fine idea to be able to obtain the skin (not the actual "item") of a legendary for less cost/time, if you already have a legendary in that slot. But all the MMO players will come mouth frothing at you going "MUH TIME INVESTMENT". So best to find a skin you like that doesn't cost 2-3k gold. Or get full legendary and then spend your gold as you see fit, you will get there eventually anyway.

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

Yeah this is the response I expected in an MMO.

With the legendary armory you can (and will) get a legendary (craft or buy, whatever) for the utility, not for the  skin. I'm in no way gonna dump 2k gold worth of crap in another skin for the same item slot, I imagine most players won't. This creates the great experience of "hey I really like this skin... but I already have a legendary in this slot, I need to make legendaries for other slots".

But hey if you wanna waste your time so that you feel you earned something, by all means. In my world I earned something through skill/ability, and the time investment is to acquire the skill or ability. Not so I can say "yeah I did a good waste of time there".

Personally I find most legendary skins rarely fit the armor looks I'm going for, so I resort to other skins (both armors and weapons).

IMO its a fine idea to be able to obtain the skin (not the actual "item") of a legendary for less cost/time, if you already have a legendary in that slot. But all the MMO players will come mouth frothing at you going "MUH TIME INVESTMENT". So best to find a skin you like that doesn't cost 2-3k gold. Or get full legendary and then spend your gold as you see fit, you will get there eventually anyway.

Except until most recently in terms of this games lifespan, the skin of the legendary WAS the reason to get it.

Now I will grant you that with the insane push of quality of life from the developers and the legendary armory going along with it, some players will go for the QoL first. Why does that suddenly devalue the skin though?

The skins WERE the value in the past. The quality of life came AFTER. Now I get it fits your desire/narrative to pretend as though the skins should get devalued retroactively given the new QoL aspects. The developers also agree, that's why gen3s were added as they were: cheaper baseline legendary for the first skin and QoL, additional high quality skins. Why exactly should older legendary get devalued though? Except because you want it so?

It's very simple:

- legendary skins come with a unique skin/effect which was their original implementation

- legendary items grant a certain amount of QoL now, this is especially true for ones which have less flashy effects

The first is the cost for the item, the second is a retroactively added benefit which is unrelated to the cost of the skin. It's free on top in order to increase the QoL of the item.

In fact: the only thing which WOULD make sense is to make legendary items even MORE expensive given the added benefits they have by now. Sure, we can go that way too: double or triple the cost for the initial legendary given its new added features and make further legendary items on that slot cheaper. This in turn would increase the initial barrier to legendary gear, so instead prices are kept the same.

The issue in your logic: you are willfully taking the added benefits at no cost, but demand the item gets made cheaper based around those added benefits. That's nonsensical.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Why exactly do older legendary get devalued though?

Yeah again with the MMO idea of "value", I got it and you don't so it has "value". Such a weird concept, especially when all it comes to in this case is a time sink. Its not a title/proof that you did something difficult, its literally "I dumped X days in time-gated Y, and Z amount of gold" (aside from gen2, you can even dump RL money). The skins have no value to me, I'll make do with something else. If you slap on a 500g tag for the legendary skin (assuming you own an equivalent legendary already) I'd still go "ahaha funny, no" but maybe someone else would go "ok that is acceptable" and enjoy. Even with the aurene items I'm not gonna bother with the extra skins (assuming the skins look good, which to me they don't) - I'll craft one cause the game "gave" me a percursor and cause I need to fill another legendary slot.

To comment on the state of legendaries before the legendary armory. I made the gen 1 shield a few years ago, thought to myself "well, good time sink but this is worthless" and went on with playing the game. After the legendary armor release I went "woah, I can grind once to end the grind forever? this just became my favorite MMORPG game". I have since then dumped time and energy to get legendaries, so I don't have to farm again. I want to try something different? Cool, just go in some menus and try it out. That is why I get legendaries. If you do it for the "valuable" skins, cheers, you still got the particle vomit infusions you can dump as much gold as you want into.

So no, to me this is not "QoL", to me its the reason I still play this game. I'm here for the combat and to have something to do daily, not for the endless gear grind (there are games that do grinding 1000 times better honestly, if that is what I wanted). If I had to craft ascended items every time I wanted to try something different out, I would have long since stopped playing the game and went back to playing games where you don't have to grind gear (or where gearing is a matter of few days).

Except because you want it so?

I want nothing in this case. As I said, I prefer normal skins that are not eye kitten / particle vomit. I commented that I find the idea to be fine. If you MMO gamers are so hurt by the idea, it can even be made so that you can only lower the gold cost for gen1 and gen3, i.e. the ones you can buy with gold. Whether or not this changes, its the same to me (but apparently not to others).

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

Yeah again with the MMO idea of "value", I got it and you don't so it has "value". Such a weird concept, especially when all it comes to in this case is a time sink. Its not a title/proof that you did something difficult, its literally "I dumped X days in time-gated Y, and Z amount of gold" (aside from gen2, you can even dump RL money). The skins have no value to me, I'll make do with something else. If you slap on a 500g tag for the legendary skin (assuming you own an equivalent legendary already) I'd still go "ahaha funny, no" but maybe someone else would go "ok that is acceptable" and enjoy. Even with the aurene items I'm not gonna bother with the extra skins (assuming the skins look good, which to me they don't) - I'll craft one cause the game "gave" me a percursor and cause I need to fill another legendary slot.

What you perceive as value or not is irrelevant. It's a matter of general perception and engagement across many players.

It stands to reason that many players did not see the skins as valuable enough to spend as much time or gold or both on acquiring them (value in this case being the subjective appreciation or desire to get said item and thus trade time/money into acquiring it). You can argue as much as you want around how YOU perceive the value, which is fine. It does not reflect the overall player-base though.

That is without even getting into how legendary items are tied into this games economy overall. Again mostly driven around their value and perception by most players.

To comment on the state of legendaries before the legendary armory. I made the gen 1 shield a few years ago, thought to myself "well, good time sink but this is worthless" and went on with playing the game. After the legendary armor release I went "woah, I can grind once to end the grind forever? this just became my favorite MMORPG game". I have since then dumped time and energy to get legendaries, so I don't have to farm again. I want to try something different? Cool, just go in some menus and try it out. That is why I get legendaries. If you do it for the "valuable" skins, cheers, you still got the particle vomit infusions you can dump as much gold as you want into.

Great, so why shouldn't the shield cost more now? The item has received MAJOR quality of life upgrades so that even you now value its acquisition. How do you justify the same item with far more QoL features to remains at the same price it had when those features were non existent? Here in the real world, more bang usually means more buck too.

You are literally confirming what I said: the quality of life additions pushed you to value the items at their current price. Good for you, but the fact that you attribute no value to their skins is a personal perception.

So if only QoL is of concern to you, well there is a continued QoL increase all the way until you have 2-4 of each weapon respectively. After that, you literally can't add any more to your armory. You don't like the skin? Fine, keep considering the QoL upgrades that come with the item.

So no, to me this is not "QoL", to me its the reason I still play this game. I'm here for the combat and to have something to do daily, not for the endless gear grind (there are games that do grinding 1000 times better honestly, if that is what I wanted). If I had to craft ascended items every time I wanted to try something different out, I would have long since stopped playing the game and went back to playing games where you don't have to grind gear (or where gearing is a matter of few days).

I want nothing in this case. As I said, I prefer normal skins that are not eye kitten / particle vomit. I commented that I find the idea to be fine. If you MMO gamers are so hurt by the idea, it can even be made so that you can only lower the gold cost for gen1 and gen3, i.e. the ones you can buy with gold. Whether or not this changes, its the same to me (but apparently not to others).

This has nothing to do with MMO players. It's simple economics and with that not randomly shifting prices around. You do enjoy the  comparatively stable economy in this game do you not? Guess what, part of that is not just willy nilly shifting around cost and prices of items.

Also in case you didn't notice: gen1s and gen2s have fallen by around 35-40% in value ever since EoD and the MC drop. As have most other legendary items. Wish granted.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, SRoode.7318 said:

Yep.  That's why I said my suggestion only applies to AB Legendaries.  I just want to change the skin.  I want some of my Gen1's to look like Gen3's.

You can change it but you'd have to get the gen3 skin first to be able to apply that skin. Considering that gen3 skins are a LOT more expensive to make or buy, I don't think you'll get what you want. 

35 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Except until most recently in terms of this games lifespan, the skin of the legendary WAS the reason to get it.

Now I will grant you that with the insane push of quality of life from the developers and the legendary armory going along with it, some players will go for the QoL first. Why does that suddenly devalue the skin though?

The skins WERE the value in the past. The quality of life came AFTER. Now I get it fits your desire/narrative to pretend as though the skins should get devalued retroactively given the new QoL aspects. The developers also agree, that's why gen3s were added as they were: cheaper baseline legendary for the first skin and QoL, additional high quality skins. Why exactly should older legendary get devalued though? Except because you want it so?

It's very simple:

- legendary skins come with a unique skin/effect which was their original implementation

- legendary items grant a certain amount of QoL now, this is especially true for ones which have less flashy effects

The first is the cost for the item, the second is a retroactively added benefit which is unrelated to the cost of the skin. It's free on top in order to increase the QoL of the item.

In fact: the only thing which WOULD make sense is to make legendary items even MORE expensive given the added benefits they have by now. Sure, we can go that way too: double or triple the cost for the initial legendary given its new added features and make further legendary items on that slot cheaper. This in turn would increase the initial barrier to legendary gear, so instead prices are kept the same.

The issue in your logic: you are willfully taking the added benefits at no cost, but demand the item gets made cheaper based around those added benefits. That's nonsensical.

Except gen1 legendaries cost a lot less to make or buy than the gen3 baseline skins, so when it comes to the legendary armory, gen1 are the best way to go. If you want a specific skin then you need to make the legendary. And that's how it should be. I think that's why the op wants this because he sees the cost and goes "hell no" and then thinks of another way to do this that's better for him cost wise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lottie.5370 said:

What do you mean? I'd love to be able to reskin my Bifrost to Nevermore without having to do any of the collections or crafting, it sounds great!!

200g in the MF sounds about right, don't you think?

/s.

Of course this sounds great. The reprecussions though would hurt the legendary economy, making material prices cheaper than what they are now. Legendaries already are starting to lose value. Gen 2 and gen 3 costs of making are around 1.5k gold. Gen 2 dropped from around 2k to 1.5kg. Gen 1 dropped from about 1600 to 2k gold down to around 800-1k gold. I about crapped when I looked up this on gw2 efficiency last night. Legendaries are in-game goals, so if you want the skins, just make what you want.

• Like 1

The problem with this suggestion is the value of each legendary. Second generation legendaries with collections takes more effort to get since you cannot buy them from trade post. Which makes them more valuable for players who does these collections and it shows the effort they did to gain said legendary.  Imagine the uproar if ppl could just buy astralaria if they have frostfang. 

i understand why you want this option, but it’s not a reasonable or doable way to get more legendary skins. Legendaries are legendaries for a reason. 

• Like 1