MESMER PORTAL TROLL META MAP

On 7/10/2022 at 10:06 AM, Hotride.2187 said:

My favorite part of TD/AB is to rate how portals and aviator boxes are placed. Some mesmers are actually really on the ball with their portals, most don't really do them on time.

MLG AB portal was on the Tarnished Traitor chest just as everyone was ressed and ready to loot. Spat everyone out into the huge cave, falling to their deaths.

10/10 unbeatable.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Yello.3406 said:

How about just portal back? Afaik you can portal 3-4 times while the portal is active so you must be very unlucky to catch a portal at the very end of its lifetime. Or you are oblivious but then it's kind of your fault, too.

Portals are capped at a maximum of 20 uses, then they will automatically disappear. Meaning a proficient mesmer will cast it in a situation where more than 10 people are likely to immediately interact with it, causing at least some of them to be unable to portal back.

My best tip for these occasions is to check the "double-click to interact" box in your option. Portals cannot be clicked so you won't portal if you doubleclick something to open it or revive someone. Specifically on Tarir, the huge boxes are way bigger than the transform items placed below them, meaning you're completely safe from getting trolled there.

You can also be part of the change! My favorite thing to do on AB is to place a portal on the full-dead players at the tarnished traitor (on the dead, not on the chest) that leads over to the hero point mob, making the portal - even though inadvertently taken - actually useful by covering distance they had to walk (and make full dead players waypoint).

Edited by Endaris.1452
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/10/2022 at 10:13 AM, civokenes.3284 said:

They are trying to teach us to not blindly run to a chest and spam "use," but to read what we are about to use and I don't think that's a bad thing 😁

All jokes aside. I always click on the first AB grand chest instead of spamming use. Because i learned not to do that xd..

1 hour ago, samsar.9152 said:

I see portal trolling often at Drakkar too in Bjora Marches, leading players fall to their death when doing minibosses. It is sometimes really annoying. Please, do not use portal at all if your only purpose is to troll with it. 

At least they disabled the "feature" where you could enter a strike mission with a squad you don't lead. Why squads of 40+ players were even being prompted to enter the strike mission in the middle of D rakkar was beyond me, considering the max size for a raid squad is much smaller.

Unfortunately, many other forms of trolling still exist (like Tyria LFG merging, especially in RIBA).

Mesmers porting players to a weird place so they take 30sec to waypoint and come back isn't the worst of it, by far, because while inconvenient its also something easily fixed while there's alot of stuff in the game which causes real grief, like your example where it disrupts an actual fight.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1

Some Mesmers are quite creative with their trolling. I’ve fallen for their trap sometimes when I was new to the game. if they port me to a place like inside a wall (ab traitor chest)  standing in a pit of death with many other players, it was actually funny. or when they place it under the map and other creative place, I just laugh at it since it’s quite impressive the length they go to troll ppl. If they just make you fall to your death (after chak) I just shrugged it off and beetle back. No biggie that one. Not worth attention at all. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Not saying it’s entertaining. Just telling my experience of it when I first met them. I couldn’t care less about them now since I don’t fall for the trolling anymore. I can understand some ppl find it annoying, but it is a game. Sometimes it’s best to not take everything so seriously and thus give the trollers what they want. They do want reactions and annoyed ppl. With me they failed 🙂 they would stop if ppl stopped being annoyed with them cause it would bore them. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, samsar.9152 said:

I see portal trolling often at Drakkar too in Bjora Marches, leading players fall to their death when doing minibosses. It is sometimes really annoying. Please, do not use portal at all if your only purpose is to troll with it. 

If I understand correctly what you're describing, for situations like that, I don't think trolling is a strong enough word. I'd call it more like sociopath behavior. They are specifically exploiting a cooperative social dynamic, where someone uses portals to help with minibosses, to trick people. Not only violating trust, but also undermining cooperative efforts.

• Like 2

Trolling in this game is weak compared to many other games I've played. I don't agree with the behavior but it is so easy to not feed the trolls in this game as the worst they can accomplish is minor inconveniences. Report them if possible but otherwise just ignore them. Seriously, don't let it ruin your session.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2022 at 1:20 AM, Labjax.2465 said:

I saw one the other day in Drizzlewood where it was straight up sociopath behavior going beyond simple trolling. Somewhere in citadel 1st room was where they laid it down, iirc, so right in the middle of doing a meta, and it led into a small crevice somewhere outside too small to mount up and too high to climb out, so you had to use map to teleport out. Meaning, anyone new who wasn't familiar with using the icons on the map to teleport would just be stuck. I ended up having to help someone with how to get out.

If I had any idea who did it, I def would have reported them.

Honestly, for a lot of these people, I think troll is understating it. A troll tries to get a reaction. These people are looking for creative ways to make life harder for other players.

some level of trolling is funny though. It is just humor. If its trolling to harass people, thats going too far. But pranks here and there is funny

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

some level of trolling is funny though. It is just humor. If its trolling to harass people, thats going too far. But pranks here and there is funny

The portalling that causes you to miss the rewards sux.  

That being said, the ones that portal you back some, or up onto a ledge that you can glide from..  Yeah, I agree.  I would MUCH rather that then the airplane thing or the bobble head thing lol.  

I’ve seen portals just to the other side of the room…. Those are definitely meant to make you think something bad was going to happen, but then it’s like heh..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

The problem is, who defines what is funny? From what I've seen, for example, some people think aviator's box is funny, others find it extremely annoying. Screwing around with people whose sense of humor the person doesn't know is generally not about entertaining the other people, but about entertaining the person doing it, and that's a problem.

An example of something you might call a "prank" that I think is thoughtfully done in this way is I remember this commander in WvW from a server I was once linked with. A couple times I saw them do this thing where they'd see if people could make a specific jump that wasn't the easiest to make, or land in bay of hale in desert borderlands (you had to know where to aim and aim for it). Whether you found it funny or not, the commander didn't point and laugh at people who failed and then run off and leave them behind. They got rezzed and some laughter was found in the silliness of the exercise.

By contrast, some portal trolls in TD for example are isolating people from the rest of the group and putting them in a confusing position where they are stuck and have to waypoint or leave the map, which will confuse them even more. Or if it puts them in a position where they are going to run off a ledge, it's almost akin to if you took over their character temporarily and made them fail.

If someone dreams up this kind of stuff with entertaining others in mind, they'll probably be fine cause they'll at least be thinking about the other person's POV and considering how people respond to it. If they are just out there to get off on the pain and annoyed reactions of others, that's a problem. So I think I kind of agree with you, but depends on what we mean by humor, pranks, and trolling.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1