[Suggestions] More Racial Content (share yours)

Hey everyone.

One thing I'd love to see is more racial content:

- Story chapters like the first 3 we had as part of the Personal Story;

- Sidequests/achievements with cultural rewards;

These two suggestions - story chapters and achievements - could even be done as one. The new chapters could have related achievements, whose rewards could be new cultural armor and weapons, cultural skins in general (e.g. cape, outfit, novelties, mounts - I'm guessing this one is too much to ask? - etc.), a permanent pass to that race's city, amongst other things. 

What new racial content would you introduce to the game?  

Edited by TheLadyOfTheRings.9148
typo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I wouldnt mind new racial/cultural content. It has the potential for better storytelling. The possibility of a given chapter not appealing to the playerbase at large would exist though. I dont play charr or asurans so chapters associated with them would not appeal to me. If ANet is willing to accept that they would be spending resources on content that they know will have limited appeal it could work.

Perhaps something similar to the Bonus Mission Pack of GW1. Paid DLC not necessarily connected to the main story or stories so that people wouldnt feel left out for not buying or playing it while offering more to do for those inclined.

• Like 2

More cultural armor and racial-themed weapon skins. I'm an incorrigible Fashion Wars addict, and it forever makes me sad that there are only a few sets actually themed to each race. Racial-themed cape skins, now that we have capes, would be lovely. Imagine a long cloak of flowing leaves for sylvari, a battle-torn and ash-stained cape for charr, a set of capes corresponding to each of the gods or Spirits of the Wild, hard-light holographic capes for asura...

Mount skins, too! ...I'm still waiting for a fern hound jackal skin. I want that so badly (even though I can't afford it - one day!).

• Like 5

I'd like more cultural armour. Sylvari especially - I just think they look better in planty gear, and there's not a whole lot of it.

I really like that the Wedding Outfit has a different look for each race, and really didn't mind the extra few gems it cost compared to normal outfits.

• Like 5

We have cosmetics that are generally aimed at one race but used for all -- asura tech outfits, seraph wings back, the birthday backpacks, etc -- so I don't see any reason to restrict new cosmetics to the target race. Yes, make sure they work well with charr or whatever the target audience is, but have them available for all.

I'd be OK with racial DLC packs adding side stories. Not sure I'd want a living world "asura only" kind of chapter.

Note that there are already "home city pass" items: Home Portal Stone (gem store), and portal scrolls you can craft for various cities ("Divinity's Reach Portal Scroll").

• Like 1

It'd be cool to see something done with the unused (or minimally used, in one case) biography choice from character creation, but at this point in the game's life, it might be hoping for too much to want content that's for a fraction-of-a-fraction of the player base.

• Like 1

I would welcome if in an upcoming living world season or expansion, the characters return to their homelands.  Have some storyline and achievements, some new race specific armor added.  

I'd like to see more armor tailored to fit each race in general.  What looks good on sylvari doesn't always look good on an asura or charr.

• Like 1

I think it would be awesome if we could play as the nightmare court, flame legion, inquest, etc.  Even if the goal is still stop zhaitan.  It might make later living world content iffy unless part of our journey was "redemption" joining the good guys.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, EmmetOtter.8542 said:

I think it would be awesome if we could play as the nightmare court, flame legion, inquest, etc.  Even if the goal is still stop zhaitan.  It might make later living world content iffy unless part of our journey was "redemption" joining the good guys.

I once thought of this idea, maybe as a different start mode that would completely change the first 30 levels of questing.

Problem is that the worst case scenario, it turns into a WoW situation where one side overrides the other, by having more players joining one side of the situation.

Basically start as a villain and learn over time that the enemy is so insignificant that you're better off joining them to fight the dragons.

Would be neat if it also allowed unique dialogue in future content. Like Ankka giving a different dialogue because you started as an Asura inquest.

Or having a different vision of Mordremoth for being nightmare court. Stuff like that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I kinda miss the branching story content of the personal story of the first 30 levels. It made leveling alts really Fun. But shame its just a tease that goes away. Behind the scenes it probably raises the development cost of story content, but it was a real fun feature to have. I suppose instead of like 5 races x 3 choices a race for each lvl 1-10 branches and + 5x3 x 2 mini split branches for 20-30 it'd take a lot more time to develop though.

But it was such a tease having a game start you on personal story then go cold turkey trehearne and ham fist the dragon story on ya. It's pretty awkward being in a position where you were supposed to bond with a character but the bonding was in a story dlc so instead you just know your character is supposed to like it but the player bond falls flat. 

Very quickly does the story of starting your own personal customized character turns into the pact commander using the good dragon to fight the evil possessed dragon 2-3x over plot though. 

• Like 1

I really wish they'd move towards calling it cultures. Using race implies they are the same species when they are different species. They each have their own culture which mostly makes up their identity. It would be nice if a character from a given species could change it's cultural alignment. There is an example of a human named Sera Longstride that changed to the Norn culture. There could be a side story associated with changing cultural alignment. It could even impact a characters interactions with their birth culture. I think it would provide a layer of depth to characters. I would love to see a Norn aligned Asura channel the bear spirit. They'd look like an Ewok from Star Wars.

I suggested a long time ago that the health skills be merged with the center health indicator and move the cultural skills to the vacant skill slot. This would force more use of those skills and give them a reason to balance them with other skills. As it is, cultural skills largely just feel like starter skills.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Good narrative content is hard to develop and deliver.

But I agree that it's a shame we don't get more stuff like the start of the game.

Adding some story divergence back in to the game would be very welcome, as it was a revolutionary idea in MMOs when the game released, and would prove just as revolutionary now.

So yes, it's hard to develop. But the best things usually are, no?

• Like 2

Sidequests and achievements would be nice. Also it would be nice if the Commander's dialogue were often different depending on their race. As is the lines are usually the same so once you pick your Order your character starts feeling less and less like the one you started with. After Claw Island your character feels nothing like the one you started with especially if you are a charr or asura. Only Sylvari maintain some identity thanks to Heart of Thorns.

These changed lines don't need to change the outcome of the scene, just add flavor. Every line has to be re-recorded for every race/gender combination anyway so idk why they didn't do this.

• Like 2

Not sure how this would fit in the current state of the game. We as the commander killed all the dragons! The ancient all powerfull menace to the whole world is now gone. We are basically heroes beyond imagination to any normal citizen. How do we justify to concern ourselves with any issues on a racial scale? It was good in the beginning when we where nobody and made a name for ourselves but now? I'm actually not sure how the main story will move forward from now on. Maybe we go to space? 🤔

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yello.3406 said:

Not sure how this would fit in the current state of the game. We as the commander killed all the dragons! The ancient all powerfull menace to the whole world is now gone. We are basically heroes beyond imagination to any normal citizen. How do we justify to concern ourselves with any issues on a racial scale? It was good in the beginning when we where nobody and made a name for ourselves but now? I'm actually not sure how the main story will move forward from now on. Maybe we go to space? 🤔

What are you going on about? I, the ultimate commander/slayer of...well...everything, have to go to my own home and open the shed to get out my pick, shovel, and axe in order to harvest the resources that I paid good money for, while skritt stand around watching me work. Then it's off to the shower before I set out to slay another dragon.

• Like 2