If Anet added in game ads, what would be the least annoying places to put them?

On 8/9/2022 at 11:12 AM, Tsakhi.8124 said:

...HP Lovecraft himself crawled himself from beneath Innsmouth ...

I see what you did there!  I've been there too!

On 8/7/2022 at 6:29 PM, DarcShriek.5829 said:

By Ogden's beard, these prices are so low!

Ah, the only acceptable advertisement in GW2.  

Edited by Rogue.8235
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/9/2022 at 1:56 PM, Zebulous.2934 said:

I am going to continue to bring up unpleasant topics on these forums.  I want these sorts of things discussed by players.

"If you don't say something, it doesn't get said."

I suppose I will be less restrictive though. I viewed the answer, "I would just leave,"as a way to avoid answering the question. Some people seem to think that I was advocating placing ads in game. 

I was trying to ask, "what if X," and "what would be most tolerable given X." I understand, now, that leaving would be the most tolerable option for some players.

I do not expect corporations, CEOs, or shareholders to make good decisions.  Humans are fools, and committees are worse. 

So basically. Keep bringing topics like this up and risk opening Pandora’s box?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

So basically. Keep bringing topics like this up and risk opening Pandora’s box?

The devs have access to other mmos.  They can see what those mmos are doing.
 The shareholders won't hesitate to make suggestions, especially if those shareholders don't know how mmos work. 
There seem to be quite a few superstitious folks here, as if I could jinx the game. 
Talking about something does not give it life.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

I don't require agreement, just discussion.

You want discussion yet I've missed you participating in any. All I've seen was:

If you had to have ads ingame, where would it be?

-Still nowhere.

Well, I'll continue bringing up hard topics!

But this is not a hard topic. The obvious answer is "just no". Saying "but what if you had to?!" for the sole purpose of stirring kitten won't change that, because we don't have to and the answer is still the same.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

The shareholders won't hesitate to make suggestions, especially if those shareholders don't know how mmos work. 
There seem to be quite a few superstitious folks here, as if I could jinx the game. 

I am not worried that anet will do something like this with the game. They make decisions and sometimes it works, other times it doesn’t  work. That’s how it’s always been. 

making topics like these just to stir the pot doesn’t seem like a good idea. Specially since I’ve seen more conspiracies and troll posts lately. The community does not need these kind of topics. The Pandora’s box is more related to the community then the developers here. I’m all for good discussions, but this is not it. It’s not a hard topic at all. It’s an easy one as this topic will not happen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

You want discussion yet I've missed you participating in any. All I've seen was:

If you had to have ads ingame, where would it be?

-Still nowhere.

Well, I'll continue bringing up hard topics!

I said unpleasant topics, not hard topics.
Unpleasant, like unpopular or distasteful.  You said hard, which sounds like difficult or emotionally taxing.  

As for my Participating in any discussions simply click my profile picture next to this post. 
Now on my profile page, look to the far right side opposite the profile picture there will be a button "see their activity" click it.

Back on the left side, under "all activity", click topics.  Then you will see the discussions I have started.

You could instead click "posts" and see what I have posted in other people's discussions.

• Confused 9

11 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

To be fair he's probably right. They will already have these kind of ideas on how to monetize the game further, us discussing isn't going to do anything. All it's going to take is for one of the well known mmo's to add ads in the game and the playerbase not leave or complain too much in and then you can bet we'll have ads too. It's sad but modern mmo's players are so beaten down with monetization we'll accept anything these days.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

On 8/7/2022 at 8:53 AM, Zebulous.2934 said:

I am not asking if you would quit playing.  I am not asking if you want in game ads.  Lets pretend that all mmos will have in game ads in five years.  What is tolerable ad placement?

why are you like this

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

I said unpleasant topics, not hard topics.
Unpleasant, like unpopular or distasteful.  You said hard, which sounds like difficult or emotionally taxing.  

As for my Participating in any discussions simply click my profile picture next to this post. 
Now on my profile page, look to the far right side opposite the profile picture there will be a button "see their activity" click it.

Back on the left side, under "all activity", click topics.  Then you will see the discussions I have started.

You could instead click "posts" and see what I have posted in other people's discussions.

If it somehow wasn't clear, I wasn't interested in checking your profile and "I didn't see you participating in any" was about "participating in any discussion in this topic". Other threads are irrelevant to what I said.

Whether you said hard or unpleasant wasn't exactly the main point: it's still not really unpleasant, it just looks like a cheap bait that you already know the answer to.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

If it somehow wasn't clear, I wasn't interested in checking your profile and "I didn't see you participating in any" was about "participating in any discussion in this topic". Other threads are irrelevant to what I said.

Whether you said hard or unpleasant wasn't exactly the main point: it's still not really unpleasant, it just looks like a cheap bait that you already know the answer to.

Oh, I thought you  meant that This particular thread was the only example of my writing that you had seen, you did type out the title of the thread.  So I decided to tell you how you could find more examples of any player's writing.  I thought that you were exercising judgment and were making a disclaimer. 
something like:  'Reading this thread, this Zebulous guy must be a troll, but I haven't read any of his other topics.'

So your reply wasn't a judgment with a disclaimer. I understand now.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
  • Confused 5

Ads running, have never actually paid for game development. Browser break even hosting costs for old 2005-2010 f2p runescape maybe. But as mentioned at 0.1 cents a 30 second unskipped video ad, 12 cents a hour.

A player would need to literally watch 10 hours of ads for 12 days straight to bring 14$ of revenue to match one player buying a 15$ pof on sale. 

They just don't cover mmorpg video development costs. Even ad funded sites like crunchyroll with thousands of flashy animation I think only merely break even on hosting with ads. Its the dvd sales and 100-1000$ "merchandise" a few buy that fund the green line, profit. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ASP.8093 said:

why are you like this

Well I was imagining life during the ad-pocalypse.  I figured that eventually ads would be inserted into all forms of media. In such a sceanerio quitting Gw2 wouldn't spare you because all mmos would have in game ads. That is why I didn't see value in those answers.  I suppose I should have just led with that premise.

On the other hand I was also interested in what types of advertising people currently found tolerable.

• Confused 6

22 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Well I was imagining life during the ad-pocalypse.  I figured that eventually ads would be inserted into all forms of media. In such a sceanerio quitting Gw2 wouldn't spare you because all mmos would have in game ads. That is why I didn't see value in those answers.  I suppose I should have just led with that premise.

On the other hand I was also interested in what types of advertising people currently found tolerable.

If it reached that point, I would just not play MMOs. And if you went a step further and said it's in all video games, then I would finally quit video games after coming pretty close to it a number of times. My wallet would certainly be happier.

Edited by Labjax.2465
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 8/11/2022 at 5:16 PM, Zebulous.2934 said:

I don't require agreement, just discussion.

upon reflection I suppose I should have said:
I don't require agreement, just opinions.

I am not curious about my own opinions.
Similarly I didn't see any point in persuading people to my point of view.

I had no intention of critiquing the opinions, I just wanted to gather them in one place.

So why would I comment?
I only began to comment when numerous people claimed that I was demanding that ads be placed in the game.
I now realize that responding to those comments was foolish of me.
 I can't be misrepresented none of you know who I am. 
I can't have a bad reputation because none of you know who I am.

• Confused 6

26 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

That's right, if you pre-emptively tell people they can't answer they won't tolerate ads, whatever they respond means they tolerate ads. From where I'm sitting, that's not really being interested in discussion or player opinion, that's fishing for the responses you want to get by locking out actual responses because you don't want to see them.

What colors do you like? But you can't say blue or any shade of it. See? Nobody here likes blue.  -Just like some people suddenly "tolerate ads in the game" because you told them they can't say otherwise 😄

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

That's right, if you pre-emptively tell people they can't answer they won't tolerate ads, whatever they respond means they tolerate ads. From where I'm sitting, that's not really being interested in discussion or player opinion, that's fishing for the responses you want to get by locking out actual responses because you don't want to see them.

What colors do you like? But you can't say blue or any shade of it. See? Nobody here likes blue. Just like some people suddenly "tolerate ads in the game" because you told them they can't say otherwise 😅 

I did state earlier in this thread that I was wrong to limit the initial post in that fashion.  Just because I wasn't interested in blue doesn't mean that blue isn't a reasonable answer.
  You may continue to berate me for being wrong, if you enjoy that.  

• Confused 6

6 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

I did state earlier in this thread that I was wrong to limit the initial post in that fashion.  Just because I wasn't interested in blue doesn't mean that blue isn't a reasonable answer.
  You may continue to berate me for being wrong, if you enjoy that.  

I don't see where I berated you. Just commenting on why I think the format of the thread missed the mark if you wanted to get actual opinions.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Berate: to scold or condemn vehemently and at length.
I suppose I may have inferred anger or frustration in your words. Outrage? Righteous indignation?
My inner monologue supplied an angry tone as I read your words.
I may have assigned too much emotion to your phrasing. 

Hrm three comments really isn't, "at length either." Poor choice of words on my part.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
  • Confused 6