let renegade use offhand shield

Eddie.9143

Shield maybe sucks at instanced PvE, but in both PvP, roaming WvW and OW PvE performs fairly well. At this particular moment in the game, I prefer it, for sure, above running the staff. And yes, tecnically the best PvP build the Rev has for ATs is the eternal Herald's swords + staff of forever, but I no longer have interest into running that build, so whenever I run a Herald build and I want tankiness, I use shield, no matter if is a condi or power build...

Edited by Buran.3796
  • Like 1

Elite spec sharing their weapon with other elite specs would be op

But for rev it's a valuable change as rev doesn't have very many weapons/weapon combinations to start of with

1 ranged weapon( and a really bad one too)

2 one handed condi melee weapons

2 one handed power melee weapons

1 two handed defensive melee weapon

6 in total. Making rev have the least weapons of all professions (ele doesn't count because of mechanic)

• Like 2

I feel like shield's main issue isn't just that it's terrible, but that it doesn't really have a main hand weapon that synergizes well with it. I guess you can just throw a sword on and alternate between shield and staff as a support Herald (hell, maybe people actually do that) but shield is still weak even as a swap during staff CDs and pretty much all other supports will outclass you. 

It's not an issue I expect they can fix either. If they were to add scepter or something in the future, it'd be locked behind an elite spec (and wouldn't be able to take a shield in the off-hand because shield is locked behind Herald). 

Sorta feels like the class lacks a bit of flexibility because of the core weapons available to it in HoT. One ranged option back then, no ranged condi core options, no support main hand weapon. The problem, obviously, is that if we didn't get it then we will never get it. They aren't going to add a main hand support core weapon in a random patch, so shield will just suck forever because Rev will always be more valuable with other builds. 

2 hours ago, Kori Jenkins.9017 said:

I feel like shield's main issue isn't just that it's terrible, but that it doesn't really have a main hand weapon that synergizes well with it. I guess you can just throw a sword on and alternate between shield and staff as a support Herald (hell, maybe people actually do that) but shield is still weak even as a swap during staff CDs and pretty much all other supports will outclass you. 

It's not an issue I expect they can fix either. If they were to add scepter or something in the future, it'd be locked behind an elite spec (and wouldn't be able to take a shield in the off-hand because shield is locked behind Herald). 

Sorta feels like the class lacks a bit of flexibility because of the core weapons available to it in HoT. One ranged option back then, no ranged condi core options, no support main hand weapon. The problem, obviously, is that if we didn't get it then we will never get it. They aren't going to add a main hand support core weapon in a random patch, so shield will just suck forever because Rev will always be more valuable with other builds. 

You're looking at shield in its current state all wrong. It cannot be realistically considered a support weapon, it's more like the bruiser add-on, meaning it's inherently selfish.

Therefore you should look to damage builds to synergize with it, not support (ie power or condi).

If Anet decides to add group healing on s5/longer & more valuable boons to it/light field, then maybe you'd be right in wanting a good support main-hand to pair it with. But for what it does currently, it works well with damage.

4 hours ago, GeneralBM.5781 said:

You're looking at shield in its current state all wrong. It cannot be realistically considered a support weapon, it's more like the bruiser add-on, meaning it's inherently selfish.

Therefore you should look to damage builds to synergize with it, not support (ie power or condi).

If Anet decides to add group healing on s5/longer & more valuable boons to it/light field, then maybe you'd be right in wanting a good support main-hand to pair it with. But for what it does currently, it works well with damage.

With a traited shield note that shield 4 heals arrorund 4-5k and removes condi, issue is that shield 5 is a selfish block, cleanse and heal.

EDIT:  imo at least the heals should pulse as well arround the rooted Herald.plus the cleeanses when traited.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

5 hours ago, GeneralBM.5781 said:

That's true, maybe they should straight up buff it to be more viable for that role, because it's certainly not seeing much use now. 

On 8/24/2022 at 9:29 PM, Kori Jenkins.9017 said:

That's true, maybe they should straight up buff it to be more viable for that role, because it's certainly not seeing much use now. 

Personally, now that they've made quickness herald a thing, I think Envoy of Exuberance should be able to grant Quickness.

But yes, shield does work reasonably well for bruisers. Was meta on condi herald for a while. Might still be.

On 8/20/2022 at 12:33 AM, Buran.3796 said:

Shield maybe sucks at instanced PvE, but in both PvP, roaming WvW and OW PvE performs fairly well. At this particular moment in the game, I prefer it, for sure, above running the staff. And yes, tecnically the best PvP build the Rev has for ATs is the eternal Herald's swords + staff of forever, but I no longer have interest into running that build, so whenever I run a Herald build and I want tankiness, I use shield, no matter if is a condi or power build...

I am interested in a power roamer for wvw using shield. Got any builds?

48 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

I am interested in a power roamer for wvw using shield. Got any builds?

Sadly it works best with condition builds, this is the one I'm running in WvW/PvP:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmABw6l7lxQKsOyixRXMPCjRSiMCqgjqUX7F-z1IY14/MiUC0p6SyDA-w

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmABkex7lxQKsO6ixRYMPyiRSiMCqgjqUX7F-zZxsQisCyMB6NE8aA

I've also used power Herald with shield in PvP but in a hammer build ith less tha stellar performance aiming to pressure at range and tank in nodes but I doubt would work well for roaming:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAIx7lxQKsO6ixRYMPyiRSiMCqgl+UVrD-z5gfKNqAyUE0rQogJgGGAA

• Like 1

We already have a lot of elite specs, so we could get more core weapons in future expansions instead, would open up a lot of possibilities (probably a lot of problems as well lol), but it could be cool, going this way they could even add new weapon types, unlikelly, but a new weapon type not being bound to a elite spec should be more fair, since not everyone would get it.

• Like 1

This won't make quarum but I would like a new core weapon + either a new core legend or a new skill for legacy legend (to chose 3 between 4 utilities) for the next expansion instead of a new spec kitten hard just a few months after the release.

The game currently is structured in instanced content around having providers of shared quickness, alacrity, plus a provider of cleanses/healing and a few sources of stability, aegis or some slected utilities as projectile negation/reflection or fast barbreaking utilities. Since stacking max might, condition caps, fury, etc. seems trivial for most squads and every character provides damage the three main roles are either being a perma-quickness or aliacrity provider, an excellent healer or just having extra tricks to play on top of having very high dps.

Since currently there's a lot more competition in providing quickness, alacrity or dps now the fight translated to "who provides the most of those which the least effort", which lead us to having a couple of professions filling 50% of those roles. Rev already provides alacrity, quickness and healing (not the best at any of those) so I struggle to find out a reason to want another spec, since roles won't play and the only change would be rotations and gameplay (and we are moving to either afk LI builds on one hand as Mechanist or Specter, to wonkiness and clunky rotations at other as Vindicator and Untamed in another).