New type of weapon

I dont think about it, to by honest iam not game creator or something just asking, for me is cool to use greataxe. If you asking about function for great axe, dps ? or on thief heal ? for example i was very suprise when i start playing GW2 greatsword on mesmer is range weapon.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Brodix.5214 said:

I dont think about it, to by honest iam not game creator or something just asking, for me is cool to use greataxe. If you asking about function for great axe, dps ? or on thief heal ? 

Yeah, greataxe would be nice purely for cosmetic fantasy.

The way GW2 is designed, though, with our first five skills tied to weapons, they’re tied into game design. So a new weapon type also needs a niche to fill.

In addition, so far ArenaNet adds new weapons to professions by designing a new elite spec for that profession. If they stick with that, not only would great axe need a niche, there’d need to be a whole new version of thief, say, that uses it.

You’ll find posts in the profession forums where people lay out thoughts on new specs, and one of the first things they do is identify the new weapon it will provide.

Thief just got scepter as their heal-ish weapon for Specter. Though it’s got a single target, barrier focus. So maybe a more AoE heal spec with great axe? 

A slow, high damage, bruiser thief spec might fit great axe better, but it’s hard for me to see that as thief.

20 minutes ago, Brodix.5214 said:

for example i was very suprise when i start playing GW2 greatsword on mesmer is range weapon.

Yeah, I think that was ANet having fun designing against expectation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Unfortunately, due to the way the game's designed, making a new weapon at this point in its life would take an enormous amount of work.

You'd need to decide the professions it would work for as a baseline, whether an elite spec unlocks it, what traits should affect it, what animations it would have (and most weapons, while not necessarily having unique animations per profession, certainly have animations unique to themselves), and 5 skills per profession you give it to, as well as the various burst skills it would need to be given on Warrior.

Interestingly, in the case of great axes in particular, there is at least one skin for Hammer that makes it look like a great axe.

So that's your best option really 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I would also love to see underwater weapons utilised as land weapons.

To answer the op though, weapons aren’t always used as traditionally expected. They’re often used to channel skills and magic rather than just straight fighting. Given we have a large range of melee options to cover traditional swinging attacks or as chandlers, I’m not sure how greataxe would improve on it.

Im not against new weapons, but they need to achieve something that the existing options could not be adapted to do. We’ve already seen the staff act as a traditional wizard tool and as a fighting stave. I’m not sure a greataxe could fulfil a purpose a great sword or one handed axe could not. I think it’s more likely to see greataxe skins for the greatsword in the same way scythes became skins for the staff.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I would also love to see underwater weapons utilised as land weapons.

To answer the op though, weapons aren’t always used as traditionally expected. They’re often used to channel skills and magic rather than just straight fighting. Given we have a large range of melee options to cover traditional swinging attacks or as chandlers, I’m not sure how greataxe would improve on it.

Im not against new weapons, but they need to achieve something that the existing options could not be adapted to do. We’ve already seen the staff act as a traditional wizard tool and as a fighting stave. I’m not sure a greataxe could fulfil a purpose a great sword or one handed axe could not. I think it’s more likely to see greataxe skins for the greatsword in the same way scythes became skins for the staff.

Bouncing off your last point, doesn't the Exordium legendary greatsword turn into a greataxe for some animations?

My dream is still for all land weapons to also be useable in water the same way with just their animations tweaked, and all underwater weapons to be useable on land. If I can kill Super Mutants in Fallout with a Harpoon Gun on land then it's not too outlandish for a magical fantasy world. And a lot of spears are too awesome looking to be water only.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1