Recharging TP to Friend Recharge is too long (gripes about other CD's as well)

Title says it all, why is there an hour cooldown on something in the gem store? I can understand having a smaller CD maybe like 5-10 minutes to help prevent... well I'm not sure what needs to be prevented, but a small CD would be fine.

Here is a scenario, that happened today, I had two friends in a group both in the same place I wanted to go, I click my shiny new recharging Tp to friend because I am lazy and dont want to spend the time getting to the canopy in HoT. However the friend that I clicked on had recently changed characters and made their way to the flax fields, I did not realize this and blew my charge going to the flax fields instead.

Sure this would have been more annoying with a one time use TP to friend, but why does this CD need to exist in such a long interval? Genuinely asking.

Another issue I see with this is that the main reason you might use something like this is to easily move a parked alt back to its place if you want to play them. I have some in pretty obscure places and this would be a great tool to alleviate that. However the long CD will mean that I will be able to use it once and then maybe can use it next month given they only recharge as you are logged in. (Same issue with the jade bot portal)
I believe these cooldowns should count down while you are logged off, this would prevent people spamming from one place to another, but still let it be used when it is needed because let's be honest the recharging tp to friend is purely luxury item and I believe it should behave as such. While on the note of cooldowns it would be really nice if boosters and the sort only counted down during combat or when they were "active" or something, Maybe with reduced duration, but then my expensive food and utility buffs (yes I am a broke noob sometimes) wouldn't be counting down when standing around doing something with the Trading Post. Boosters/food effects etc would be much more appealing to keep up if half of the time was not wasted.

Just ideas, I am overall very happy with my recent (reignited) addiction to GW2 🙂 Cheers!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 3

From everything I've read it's a garbage item and they should delete it and refund all the people who have paid for it. Apparently it was originally not so garbage, but they nerfed it into garbage because of it being abused. At the point it's at, I don't see how it's worth anything. An hour long CD that doesn't even count down while logged out... what a joke.

• Like 4
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 4

6 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

From everything I've read it's a garbage item and they should delete it and refund all the people who have paid for it. Apparently it was originally not so garbage, but they nerfed it into garbage because of it being abused. At the point it's at, I don't see how it's worth anything. An hour long CD that doesn't even count down while logged out... what a joke.

It's useful for people who don't have a lot of TPs to friends (ie people who dont' regularly buy black lion chests) and want the option to get somewhere fast from time to time, which can save a  lot of time. Anyone who finds it useless shouldn't buy it. I find it useful.

I can't tell you how many times I'm talking to a  guildie and they tell me that a certain boss they know I need is up, and I tp to them and get credit, because I happen to have it in my inventory.  Or a bounty. And if I'd tried to get there without a TP to a friend it's likely I'd have missed it.

It's not a garbage item. It's a useful item to quite a few people I play with. You simply have no need for it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm in agreement that the timer's too much, especially considering that this is a gem store item, and may have been bought with cash by the user. 10 minutes seems fine to me.

It's a similar argument for the copper / silver-fed and Runecrafter's salvage-o-matics. It rankles that even though you may have spent cash to buy the thing, there's still an in-game fee associated with its use.

It just seems a bit... seedy.

ANet effectively get you coming and going.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

We all know that Tele to fren can let us cheese alot of things. My personal guess is that this is (to a limited extent) to retain the balance between a QoL and a touch of p2w. Anet has to find the sweetspot for each cash item to uphold their commitments to their players, and I think It's fine as it is.

The rechargeable t2f (same with the salvagers and tools) is meant to be a perk while playing mostly normally. Just that now you can also use it frivolously on chars that you frequently use - once per hour of gameplay.

(I have the 3 salvagers on my main, and my 5 accounts have the unbreakable tools. And if the guild I was in hadn't died I probably would have bought the t2f by now. I would NOT complain if the toys I bought became more useful, but I can accept why it might not be wise. I have also, to the best of my knowledge, never purchased any p2w item in any p2w mmo.)

Edit: I just checked, and have to correct that I do not have the silver salvager, and that only my 3 main accs have tools, and my 2 other for-fun accounts do not. Been awhile since I did more than collect login once a week

Edited by casualkenny.9817
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

The cooldown is per-character, so you can teleport dozens of times in an hour.

Yes, but you can only do this initially since the cooldown timer actually doesn't reset unless you are actively logged in with the character. I bought the item yesterday mostly because I want to get as many "convenience" items as I can but this one seems really lackluster. They should either lower the cooldown or make the cooldown reset even when you are not logged in. I feel like they are limiting this item way too much in order to prevent people who are botting/scripting from abusing it.

• Like 4

Just now, MajinSoul.4512 said:

Yes, but you can only do this initially since the cooldown timer actually doesn't reset unless you are actively logged in with the character. I bought the item yesterday mostly because I want to get as many "convenience" items as I can but this one seems really lackluster. They should either lower the cooldown or make the cooldown reset even when you are not logged in. I feel like they are limiting this item way too much in order to prevent people who are botting/scripting from abusing it.

The item is limited because it already allows you to cheese a massive amount of content in the game. For example, you can already completely skip the JP in Draconis Mons needed for Aurora. Its also used to skip stories, gain access to MPs and other rewards without the prerequisites, and so on.

Sure, a few people use it to actually teleport to their friend, but most use it for cheese.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

The item is limited because it already allows you to cheese a massive amount of content in the game. For example, you can already completely skip the JP in Draconis Mons needed for Aurora. Its also used to skip stories, gain access to MPs and other rewards without the prerequisites, and so on.

Sure, a few people use it to actually teleport to their friend, but most use it for cheese.

See my thing is, they shouldn't sell it in the first place then. If they feel they have to nerf it so bad that it's actually more complicated and worse to use than a single charge of Teleport to Friend, then how is it even a convenience item at that point.

By the time you get through figuring out if you can use it on who for what and/or waiting on a timer, you might as well have just used the single charge type. Something that you can amass quite a few of over time from birthdays and opening the occasional black lion chest from key farm or the rare map completion, so it's not as though this recharging version is the only way to be able to "cheese content" as you put it anyway. If the reason is some kind of botting/farming that screws with their in-game economy, then I understand them nerfing it, but that leads me back to my first point.

Idk the reason for the timer not recharging while logged out, if that ties into it being abused somehow, but I think removing that part would drastically improve it. Cause then you know you can get a charge out of it when you go to log in for a session. Whereas as it is now, you'd have to pay attention to who and how you play just to make sure you got it available when you need it most.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

For the purpose of cheesing, you don't need the unlimited one, as you get a lot of free one-time ones. I've around 300-400 in the bank, e.g.  from birthday presents, as I use them mostly for such cheesing 🙂.

A real use for the  unlimited one I would see in joining a LFG group and then port to the commy. Such a regular use would exhaust my stack fast, but for that 1h is definitely to long 5-15min (less then the event duration of events you port to) would be ok.

As it is, the unlimited one is completely useless: Enough free ones for occasional use (incl. cheesing), to long cool-down for regular use.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, newbornkilik.8705 said:

Here is a scenario, that happened today, I had two friends in a group both in the same place I wanted to go, I click my shiny new recharging Tp to friend because I am lazy and dont want to spend the time getting to the canopy in HoT. However the friend that I clicked on had recently changed characters and made their way to the flax fields, I did not realize this and blew my charge going to the flax fields instead.

This sounds like lack of communication. Didn't your friend know you wanted to teleport to them? 

The cd on this item may be a while, but they chose to do this to prevent abuse. It is a really good item for alts. What I do if I use it on my alt, is going to my alt when I will be afk to let the timer reset. Might as well do that then afk on my main character. It's a workaround for characters you rarely use but want to open places with. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

What kind of abuse though?

If you have one off items, you can spam them all you want...

What exactly is a 1 hour cooldown preventing that can't be prevented with a 5-10 minute one?

If you read above you will see it being adressed. Sure you can use the normal ones to do the same, but they are limited. Recharging teleport to friend is not. The cd can be discussed, but anet chose one hour for a reason.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

If you read above you will see it being adressed. Sure you can use the normal ones to do the same, but they are limited. Recharging teleport to friend is not. The cd can be discussed, but anet chose one hour for a reason.

I didn't ask about no cooldown, i asked what an 1 hour cooldown prevents that a 5-10 cooldown doesn't.

I only saw arguments on the "no cooldown" abuse. Which also hardly looks like abuse, more like unintended gameplay.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

I didn't ask about no cooldown, i asked what an 1 hour cooldown prevents that a 5-10 cooldown doesn't.

I only saw arguments on the "no cooldown" abuse. Which also hardly looks like abuse, more like unintended gameplay.

No cooldown or 5-10 min cd feels about the same. When the cd is as long as one hour, most ppl who would abuse the item can’t do so. If cd was only 5 min, it would be the same as no cd. Just do the things they want and use it again since cd is so short. So 1 hour cooldown does prevent that. Now if we were talking about 20-30 min I would agree.

we can only speculate why they chose one hour. But they did and I’m sure they had their reasons for it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Freya.9075 said:

No cooldown or 5-10 min cd feels about the same. When the cd is as long as one hour, most ppl who would abuse the item can’t do so. If cd was only 5 min, it would be the same as no cd. Just do the things they want and use it again since cd is so short. So 1 hour cooldown does prevent that. Now if we were talking about 20-30 min I would agree.

we can only speculate why they chose one hour. But they did and I’m sure they had their reasons for it. 

Well, i guess people do be lazy enough, but still, for what people use it, 1 hour is also pointless.

Cause if you're making the cooldown that long, you might as well not offer the permanent version, just the one off ones, so that people have a limited amount from the get go.

Oh well...

• Confused 1

Just now, Veprovina.4876 said:

Well, i guess people do be lazy enough, but still, for what people use it, 1 hour is also pointless.

Cause if you're making the cooldown that long, you might as well not offer the permanent version, just the one off ones, so that people have a limited amount from the get go.

Oh well...

I do agree one hour is too long. I was just pointing out it’s there for a reason. If they changed it to 20-30 min I would definitely use it more. Now I’m almost reluctant to use it sometimes incase I need it urgently while cd is there. I still find the item useful though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

I still find the item useful though. 

Hm, is it worth 600 gems as it is? Maybe for those who have less chars, beeing less old, but I don't think so (as I get 90 free T2F per year just from birthday presents). Is it worth to be placed in a shared inv slot? I would say: not at all given it's rare use.

Edited by Dayra.7405

2 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

Hm, is it worth 600 gems as it is? Maybe for those who have less chars, beeing less old, but I don't think so (as I get 90 free T2F per year just from birthday presents). Is it worth to be placed in a shared inv slot? I would say: not at all given it's rare use.

I think it’s worth it. But that’s just my opinion. I am not a veteran. I’ve played 2-3 years now. I have it in my shared inventory since I got room for it there. And I do use it a lot when I do events for treasure hunter as they die fast and sometimes you need to get there quickly to get the kill. 

i use it less on alts now since I have the scrolls for living world maps, but I did use it a lot for this reason as well before. 

17 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

I do agree one hour is too long. I was just pointing out it’s there for a reason. If they changed it to 20-30 min I would definitely use it more. Now I’m almost reluctant to use it sometimes incase I need it urgently while cd is there. I still find the item useful though. 

Well, i guess they intended it that way. To not be used often, so people don't just teleport around instead of using mounts and walking/using waypoints...

• Like 1

I use the recharging teleport almost daily to make it to events or world maps, also super useful for when you haven't been to a map before on an alt and join a group.  I bought it on sale, and didn't have a bunch of teleports saved up at the time.  I love using it for a quick daily jumping puzzle if someone has a tag up.

I don't mind the one hour cool down but I would welcome it being cut down to maybe 20 or 30 minutes. Basically enough time to finish a world boss, then go to a new map, join a new group, teleport to their location if needed.  

One poster commented they have several hundred of the one time use ones saved up.....wow!  I've played four years, and I have less than 20 stashed.   Guess I've used mine a lot 😕