Do you guys find fishing fun/relaxing?

Honestly, one of my more prominent memories from EOD's launch is the big fishing flotilla that formed around Ember Bay with people freecasting into open water to try and get their Saltwater Fisher/Avid Saltwater Fisher and ascend into Codhood... before the drops were tuned up to make it easier. We all sat around and chatted and commiserated about our bad RNG and it was a somewhat decent time for all, sharing out 99 stacks of the fishing buff, dropping down food, sharing boats, cheering on those who got lucky and got their Spiritwood rods. Then again we mostly kept it positive and still found a way to have fun with it despite the utter frustration.

Even the Dusk/Dawn fishers over in Ascalon early on weren't so bad. I mean, yes, also very frustrating, but we still found a way to meme and make it fun.

I'm not sure what the solution would be to those kinds of time sensitive fish to make it less rage-inducing, unless the spawn windows are loosened slightly so that there's a slight chance leading up to the 5 minute dusk/dawn windows with it then tapering off to night or day, maybe?

• Like 3

I fished a bunch shortly after launch. I found it fun.

The big thing that keeps me from doing it now is that it seems designed to make me designate one of my characters as my fishing character and particular play sessions as fishing play sessions.

The need to build up stacks of fishing buff, use fishing food, chase the daily for the ambergris, and target dusk/dawn means being very intentional about fishing. I wish fishing was something I could just pull over and do well while running around the open world doing other stuff. It's a perfect activity for, "Hey, the rest of my party is doing the inventory shuffle". But there are a lot of mechanics that actively resist this kind of fishing integrated with the rest of the activities of the game.

Having so many types of bait and keeping lures stocked means eating up a significant amount of  characters' bag space. This is impractical to keep on several characters, so one becomes the fishing character. This further reinforces the "designated time to fish" effect, because I have to choose to be on that specific character. A tackle box would at least fix this.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

The need to build up stacks of fishing buff, use fishing food, chase the daily for the ambergris, and target dusk/dawn

....all before the map closes and you have to restart!

Echo everything you said; I actually enjoyed it and frankly would still be doing it regularly for not those limitations... I dedicated a bank tab to stocking up on Rare fish so I wouldn't have to chase the daily, but alas those stocks are running low...  So many simple (seemingly) improvements that everyone who has fished more than a little has recognized and suggested, to actually restore some luster to the activity.  They keep releasing related skins; I might be more drawn to them if they eventually get around to some of those improvements, so I can enjoy them.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Custodio.6134 said:

The minigame and the requirement to move to random spots frequently prevents automated afk-farming, especially since the materials you get (ancient ambergris) are quite valuable (although the reason for that is literally the pain you go through farming it). 

Maybe the materials are valuable because of limited supply ... due to not that many players fishing?

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

On 11/15/2022 at 9:51 AM, SinkingLotus.8461 said:

I enjoy it. Though there are a few things I would change about it. A few examples...

1. When you get a fish on the hook you can tell from either looking at where the line was cast, or looking above your head. I would prefer an audio cue. I struggle with noticing both of those indications. If you have others on the same skiff this can become even harder to notice.

A Good Post, but: there is already an audio cue for when you've hooked a fish.

• Confused 1

On 2/22/2023 at 4:14 AM, Custodio.6134 said:

yeah, it´s kinda the same for me. Fishing would be such an awesome activity, if this stupid annoying minigame and moving to the next fishing-spot wouldn´t exist. 

I can a bit understand why they didn´t want to do this tho. The minigame and the requirement to move to random spots frequently prevents automated afk-farming, especially since the materials you get (ancient ambergris) are quite valuable (although the reason for that is literally the pain you go through farming it). 

But the result is what we have now. An activity, that IRL is considered relaxing, but inGame is the exact opposite... 

The minigame is close to activities used in some neurology tests to determine if the person has a particular disorder, e.g. Parkinson's.

• Confused 4

I don't like fishing in this game. I enjoy it way more in others such as Minecraft, Zelda, Animal Crossing to name a few. I too feel like it's really tedious. Maybe part of that is because you have to be at specific spots at a certain time of the day and it just doesn't feel very rewarding. 

• Confused 2