Do you guys find fishing fun/relaxing?

i liked the fishing from WoW very much and asked on the forum many times for fishing in gw2, but this game is f2p so it won't have those nice loot drops like mini's or even a mount skin. for me fishing in gw2 is not worth it right now. i better spend my time towards legendary armor or trinket. and in WoW you need a good reaction time (1 time) the gw2 fishing that bar goes crazy without a sound that let you know when the bar goes to the other direction. if you do this often your keyboard gets destroyed.
it's pure rng what the bar will do, i don't like it. and fishing is only for gold. but a bit boring to fish 55 minutes for 18 gold without an option to loot a  nice skin... 

BUT it can improve, we already got the ability to fish. thats a good thing. now i hope it gets better, atleast for me.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I think fishing came too late for them to make it any use except for the folks that like scavenger hunts. Achievements are really boring content to me, the fishing implementation made me realize anything else added to the game will something just as bad.

So I just try to enjoy what we have while its lasts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It's alright. I like to think that every time they bring about a new feature, it serves as an exploration of systems they can implement elsewhere in a different context.

I still think the Skiff is meant to be developped on, rather than fishing itself, but for the distraction it is, it's alright.

• Like 2

It can be fun at times, that I'll give. But relaxing?

Today I almost lost my party buff when I'm in the water clearing the mobs. While it's okay to stay close to your skiff and hop on once every few seconds but, don't know about you, I find it hilarious to even have to do that. 

You want fishing to be relaxing, you make the buff persists when your skiff unsummon itself with a duration of 10 minutes as bottom line, or better yet, semi-permanently. Or just make the skiff indestructible. 

• Like 4

On 9/20/2022 at 2:13 PM, Stalkingwolf.6035 said:

fishing is anti MMO. you stand alone hours somewhere and interact with no one.its maybe ok for crafting food and selling it but overall its bad. i dont like it in other games and i dont like it in GW2.

Holy kitten this was so out of place that i had to respond to this absurd thing you just said.

Seems like you never played ArcheAge at least, fishing parties was one of the pinnacles of that game where you could find and meet other people through fishing hot spots. I met so many people just fishing in ArcheAge, you just had to pick your boat and go to a fishing hot spot, everyone would gather together in these hot spots and socialize, maybe some pirates would come and try to steal your loot when playing at the ocean, but then everyone at the spot would defend it together and these dynamics would be persistent throughout the entire game, even afk fishing at the lake with no PKs had people group together.

It's obvious that coming from ArcheAge where you had interactive fishing at higher levels and afk fishing at all levels with progressive leveling Guild Wars 2 fishing is very lackluster and tedious, something almost unbelievable for such a talented dev team that delivered us mounts, and ways of movements through the maps, and so much more that were innovative and fun.

Edited by Kaluk.6028
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

I don't do fishing. Well, I tried it, but it's a mini game that can actually be quite tricky, so I don't think relaxing is a term I would use for it.

My wife does a lot of it but by the language she utters, I don't think she finds it relaxing either.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Kaluk.6028 said:

Holy kitten this was so out of place that i had to respond to this absurd thing you just said.

Seems like you never played ArcheAge at least, fishing parties was one of the pinnacles of that game where you could find and meet other people through fishing hot spots. I met so many people just fishing in ArcheAge, you just had to pick your boat and go to a fishing hot spot, everyone would gather together in these hot spots and socialize, maybe some pirates would come and try to steal your loot when playing at the ocean, but then everyone at the spot would defend it together and these dynamics would be persistent throughout the entire game, even afk fishing at the lake with no PKs had people group together.

It's obvious that coming from ArcheAge where you had interactive fishing at higher levels and afk fishing at all levels with progressive leveling Guild Wars 2 fishing is very lackluster and tedious, something almost unbelievable for such a talented dev team that delivered us mounts, and ways of movements through the maps, and so much more that were innovative and fun.

Aww man.  I hadn't even thought of that as a bonus.  I really want them to remove the finite number of fish per spot just because having to move on every few fish (and worse stop chatting to ask others if they're ready) each time really breaks the flow.

It never occurred to me that if the spots were static you'd actually wind up chatting to the other people hanging around.  Everyone always moves on too quickly in the current setup 😞 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

Aww man.  I hadn't even thought of that as a bonus.  I really want them to remove the finite number of fish per spot just because having to move on every few fish (and worse stop chatting to ask others if they're ready) each time really breaks the flow.

It never occurred to me that if the spots were static you'd actually wind up chatting to the other people hanging around.  Everyone always moves on too quickly in the current setup 😞 

Why do you even fish in a griup?

It is a solo activity something you seem to think this game lack.

So there should be no reason to ask others or even move since you can fish anywere there is wateryou dont nee those dang fishing spots.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Yes and No. 

Yes: it can be relaxing, mostly in city maps. I often do that while watching a stream on the other screen or something like that.

No: In a lot of maps fishing is right out frustrating when you are after the achievements. Just a few of the issues and annoyances I have myself:

• Map Change looses stack (seriously? poor design)
  • Agro and the inability to kill ON the boat and the necesity to leave the boat. 
  • Out of Bounds agro: This is just extremely annoying. happens a lot in Dragon's End. Enemy follows boat... puts you in combat the second you stand up... swims away invulnerable because they are out of bound of their killable/attackable zone. Where you are left behind either to follow and get too far away from your boat, or wait indefinitely to get out of combat
  • Maps with locations far apart and land inbetween them. You have to GO GO GO REZZ BOAT AGAIN QUICKL.... never mind stack lost... AGAIN.
  • Lure and Bait, the sheer amount is purely and solely designed to have you buy more inventory slots. It is a dayjob to know what fish takes what bait in what hole in what time of day and the sheer amount of variation is... too much. just too much
  • Fishing stuff is character and not account under Hero Panel. So you have fishing mastery, made a new character and are completing/leveling. hey a fishing hole! sure why n... never mind, no lure no bait... forget about it.
  • Fish that requires dusk or dawn to be caught. Not even gonna comment on that 5 minute window or wait another hour or so... that is rightout ridiculous.

End of the day, all these frustrations makes me fish rarely...  And only in city maps when I need a change of pace. As for needing the ancient ambergris for legendaries... yeah I rather farm gold and buy that stuff. Because trying to catch it myself is bad for my health considering the above.

Edited by Tuna Bandit.3786
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

Agro and the inability to kill ON the boat and the necesity to leave the boat.

10000000% this.... I still don't understand how the enemy can attack you while you are on the boat and do dmg... but if you try to attack them they are invulverable... what kind of voodoo force-field is that?  cause it makes zero sense other then to be a monumental annoyance.    Its like the dev designed it to be the biggest pain in the butt/troll move possible.  This is by far my biggest gripe with fishing on the whole

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Why do you even fish in a griup?

It is a solo activity something you seem to think this game lack.

So there should be no reason to ask others or even move since you can fish anywere there is wateryou dont nee those dang fishing spots.

I don't dislike playing with people.  I just want endgame content that doesn't require scheduling and time commitments.  Fishing (if they made a few tweaks to it) I can log in and play whenever I want.  I can do it with friends sharing a skiff or skiffs (so any number, any of whom can drop in and out).  If they made the focus less on sailing around, I could also chat to people in the Open World at the same spot.

That is a potentially awesome social system. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

I don't dislike playing with people.  I just want endgame content that doesn't require scheduling and time commitments.  Fishing (if they made a few tweaks to it) I can log in and play whenever I want.  I can do it with friends sharing a skiff or skiffs (so any number, any of whom can drop in and out).  If they made the focus less on sailing around, I could also chat to people in the Open World at the same spot.

That is a potentially awesome social system. 

And that is already possible you dont have to chase them holes mate.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

Yes and No. 

Yes: it can be relaxing, mostly in city maps. I often do that while watching a stream on the other screen or something like that.

No: In a lot of maps fishing is right out frustrating when you are after the achievements. Just a few of the issues and annoyances I have myself:

• Map Change looses stack (seriously? poor design)
  • Agro and the inability to kill ON the boat and the necesity to leave the boat. 
  • Out of Bounds agro: This is just extremely annoying. happens a lot in Dragon's End. Enemy follows boat... puts you in combat the second you stand up... swims away invulnerable because they are out of bound of their killable/attackable zone. Where you are left behind either to follow and get too far away from your boat, or wait indefinitely to get out of combat
  • Maps with locations far apart and land inbetween them. You have to GO GO GO REZZ BOAT AGAIN QUICKL.... never mind stack lost... AGAIN.
  • Lure and Bait, the sheer amount is purely and solely designed to have you buy more inventory slots. It is a dayjob to know what fish takes what bait in what hole in what time of day and the sheer amount of variation is... too much. just too much
  • Fishing stuff is character and not account under Hero Panel. So you have fishing mastery, made a new character and are completing/leveling. hey a fishing hole! sure why n... never mind, no lure no bait... forget about it.
  • Fish that requires dusk or dawn to be caught. Not even gonna comment on that 5 minute window or wait another hour or so... that is rightout ridiculous.

End of the day, all these frustrations makes me fish rarely...  And only in city maps when I need a change of pace. As for needing the ancient ambergris for legendaries... yeah I rather farm gold and buy that stuff. Because trying to catch it myself is bad for my health considering the above.

Anet addiction to their infinite aggro is annoying on everything.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I find fishing not fun or relaxing in the slightest.  I don't think it was intended to be.  The forced fishing in the story was much more than enough for me.  I've tried it once since, just to give it another try - and it was just as horrible and un-fun the second time.

I'm glad that they made fishing encapsulated and very much a thing unto itself, as I would hate to need to fish for any reason.  It made me angry that they shoe-horned it into the EoD story.  It's very much not  what I want to do in this game.  I intensely dislike almost all of the mini games that they've shoe-horned into GW2.  IMO, we very much need mini games to be optional.  

I don't mind at all that players can farm it and make money.  But I really don't want it to be required  for anything. 

If they implement player housing or any other niche feature, I want it to be implemented like fishing - a thing unto itself, affecting nothing but itself.  Except for fishing power stacks, which are disruptive because players don't want to change maps and lose their fishing buff.  So when you implement new features into the game, please don't do so in a way that pits players against each other.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The Twitchy nature of the bar makes it far from relaxing. Spending 5 minutes chasing the bar, for it to get away... that's not fun for me. It's not chill when you can't spontaneously decide to fish when you have to prep buffs and ensure you have the materials.

Either way, I hope they revamp it to be less burdensome. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2