Do you guys find fishing fun/relaxing?

51 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

Hey OP.  You may not realize it, but there are people that enjoy GW2's fishing mechanic.  Why do you want to take that away from them?  Do you dislike these people?  Do you want these people to stop playing?  It's not just you that plays this game.

Then there are those of us who won’t fish because the implementation bites, but would enjoy a better system. But I guess its just you that plays this game. 🤒

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

12 minutes ago, Hashberry.4510 said:

Then there are those of us who won’t fish because the implementation bites, but would enjoy a better system. But I guess its just you that plays this game. 🤒

I definitely fall into this camp.  I genuinely want to fish (I actually like the basic minigame part, and the collections), and every couple of days will think "Ooh I'll go fish!"  Then after a minute or two realise that it's more hassle than it's worth and do something else.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I like how its implemented in general in gw2, it's not as brain dead as WoW and Torchlight fishing and it's way, way, way less annoying than FF14 (most convoluted approach ever).  My major complaint about it is that it feels like increased fishing power doesn't translate to an overall easier experience, even when you have far more fishing power than the fish, because fish tend to move as fast and as unpredictably no matter what.  I feel like it should get easier as you get closer to the end of the progress bar and the fish should "tire out" the longer they fight.  This could be implemented by slowing the fish down.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Now I've read everything. The absolute worst, boring, and least tedious content filler ever added to video games is now...too hard and needs nerfed to be so easy you need only think about fishing to have a full inventory of fish! 

Thank you, I needed this thread. Good luck to you and your fishing crusade! May the fish be with u!

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

On 9/9/2022 at 11:14 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

Fishing in games for me ranges from a tolerable mini game to something I avoid entirely and GW2 falls more on the 'tolerable mini game' side of things.

It reminds me a lot of the fishing in Spiritfarer in that it's something you can do randomly in between other activities, and it's also more interesting than in some games where it amounts to 'push 1 button then wait for permission to push it again' but you can't do anything else in that time because if you do then you risk missing the fish. One of the first things I tried in GW2 was not reeling it in right away and I was pleased that you get another chance if you miss the first one.

It's not my favourite activity or something I go out of my way to spend a lot of time on, but it's interesting enough that I like doing it occasionally.

I also find it similar to Spiritfarer's fishing, with a bit of Stardew Valley added in re: the minigame; the only thing I find moderately tedious about fishing + the attached achievements is the reliance on the day/night cycle, because it ends up with a lot of idling around on the skiff waiting for 30 minutes or even a full hour to cycle around.

Other than that? It's a fun / okay thing to pass the time with, if I don't feel like WB-hopping or meta grinding.

Edited by Giovanelli.6071

Yeah let me make myself clear: I do not oppose fishing at all. The idea is fun, the fact it's totally different from the "always fight" is fun, but there lies the problem.

The sheer agro. SPECIALLY in Dragon's End makes me quit before I start. Fishing holes with INSANE fast respawning Naga... The need to get IN the water to kill them... the need to CHACE them to their "comfort zone" outside your boat's link reach is poorly designed and feels almost like the NPC is trolling me. 

If I want to fish, I want to fish. But right now, it is pure frustration. 

I am currently litterly standing at a fishing hole for Quarry Fish that cannot be fished. There are 6 Naga below it, and they WILL agro. After killing they WILL respawn before you get 1 cast done. This is insane, this is the opposite of fun. This is showing a gold coin saying "Na Na you cannot have it!" 

THAT is what is wrong with the system. 

1. Massively increase boat health
2. Let us fight ON the boat or don't take boat away after x seconds when we are dealing with agro
3. Drastically increase respawn time, if we took the effort to kill all, we should have enough time to get our 3 casts in before the NPCs respawn. I want to fish, not spend 95% clearing area to fish for 5% of the time
4. If I am not allowed to kill them while standing ON my boat, they should NOT be allowed to put me in combat/damage me either.
5. Remove the need to constantly board/anchor/board/anchor during the time we clear the area. let the boat remain
6. Do NOT allow NPC to put us in combat in an area they will go Invulnerable and flee back to their own "killable" area.

These are my biggest frustration points. Fix those and I might actually return to fishing. Untill then, it feels the system is deliberately designed to frustrate me or keep me ingame longer than I want to be, ergo: disrespecting my time.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

5. Remove the need to constantly board/anchor/board/anchor during the time we clear the area. let the boat remain

There's no need to do that. Your skiff will remain as long as you stay within range and it isn't destroyed. If you're referring to the "losing association" timer, it only represents how long you have to copy your stacks to a new skiff. You won't actually lose your stacks until your skiff is despawned for over 30 seconds.

• Like 2

- With HoT we got gliding. It completely changed how players can traverse the environments, and opened a lot of new possibilities.

- With PoF we got mounts. They completely changed how players can traverse the environments, and opened a lot of new possibilities.

I can't even begin to comprehend the severity of lack of imagination, that after such a streak of game changing new mechanics in past expansions, we get something so unimaginative and bland as fishing. I could not even imagine something to get less excited about in a game about skill based action combat, than a fishing minigame. 

I does not improve world exploration, it does not improve combat, it does not improve lore. It's almost entirely isolated from all the other game systems, aside from crafting and trading. 

I mean sure, we got another mini, which has some useful abilities, but its true reason is just for players to have another thing to buy skins for.

We could get something truly innovative. For example let's say optional guild or server based PVP in PVE areas, giving a bit of WvW twist on all the explorable PVE maps. But no, we got fishing....

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 9/9/2022 at 10:14 PM, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

I don’t find the fishing mini game worth my time.  I don’t find the mini game fun as it is very repetitive with no skill requirements really. 

I play GW2 for the combat systems which have been well implemented and animated. That is fun and relaxing.

That they added fishing in EoD but not bounties or adventures did leave me looking down on fishing but even after trying it out for a few days, it is just a hollow waste of time.  I’d rather be using underwater combat to catch fish than this mini game.

I’m looking forward to fishing being deprecated the same way adventures, bounties and mount races appear to have been. 

Perfectly said. Everytime I look at EoD and realize how little content it actually added, it reminds myself that apparently a lot of ressources went into the development of fishing. And this thought makes me quite angry.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/29/2022 at 11:51 PM, DarcShriek.5829 said:

Sounds like to want to take away the fun that these people are having.

Does it? My issues with the system are mostly to the annoying preparation part (and inventory juggling) which heavily encourages ignoring fishing on your main characters, and having to create a separate, dedicated fishing character for this purpiose. Is that part of the fun you speak of? Because i seriously doubt so.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Does it? My issues with the system are mostly to the annoying preparation part (and inventory juggling) which heavily encourages ignoring fishing on your main characters, and having to create a separate, dedicated fishing character for this purpiose. Is that part of the fun you speak of? Because i seriously doubt so.

That's pretty much only true when you want to specifically target various fish in different zones for the achievements, over longer periods of time at which point you're specifically focusing on fishing anyways. In other cases just fishing (even for profit) doesn't require you to do it, not even close.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 4

I had fun with fishing when it came out but got annoyed by a few things quickly:

- it is not an "in-between activities" thing, you have to commit full time to the activity, especially  when you need 500+ FP

- you lose fishing party bonus when you are forced to map change (at least that was the case when I still did it)

- building up the fishing party bonus takes too long

-  5 min windows for Dusk/Dawn fish and some fish that you never seem to catch (saltwater fish)

I kind of wish the accumulated party bonus would work something like participation in WvW, where you would go up to T6 and stay there after logging out, perhaps decline in open World areas after not catching a fish for 1h. This way you could do a map meta (where there is no water to fish, like Auric Basin) and return to fishing later.

Those baits take way too many slots in your inventory. With an extra Lure and a Fishing Food, you take up 15 slots. That is pretty dumb, when you want to fish on a variety of characters.

• Like 2

I lowkey love it. Great way to make gold (though Ambergris has dropped like 33% in sale price since June), relaxing but not overly boring, and a great way to kill some down-time in between other activities like map metas and instanced runs. As an avid podcast listener, this is the game's best "do while listening to audio" activity by a country mile.

Now, no system is perfect, and Anet could certainly stand to improve fishing mechanics and implement some QoL improvements for them. Also, I haven't really tried for the fishing achievements yet, and I've heard the Dusk/Dawn fish are a pain to get.

I really like the tackle box suggestion. Additionally, the skiff sorely needs to gain a skill to either kill pesky mobs, or enter stealth to avoid combat completely. And I would love it if the party stacking buff lasts longer after disembarking, and/or persists through a map change.

I hate that my fishing catches stack is actively preventing me from playing the game. There is one fish I need in this region. Now I need to wait until dusk/dawn to try catching it. If I go and do some events, I'll lose my catches and 300 fishing power. Now I have to just sit here for an hour until my 5 minutes slot comes round again. If I'm unlucky, I might be forced to move to a different map version during that time and lose my catches. In the meantime my food will run out and I'll have to use more later.
Fishing stacks need to stick around until I leave the map. That way, at least I can be keeping busy. They should also stick around if I move to a different version of the same map.
This was a terrible design decision. Fishing is the opposite of fun and relaxing.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprisingly annoyed by fishing.  The concept is very similar to WoW (which I enjoyed countless hours of), but in GW2 I very much dislike it...

For example: about 2 hours so far fishing for the elusive Giant Gourami in DE.  550 fishing power, various baits, multiple days and wasted time just for Prima Donna.  I'm following all the instructions and guides to no avail.  This is frustrating to say the least.

Spoiler

Fishing sucks.

Edited by BulletNG.7069