Do you guys find fishing fun/relaxing?

Fishing in GW2 is stressful and feels like being pranked on by the AI / RNG (which is the programmers made it so).

The "fish" not only moving left and right very fast and very rapidly like machines, they accelerate over time instead of getting tired and give in. In this fishing game, players are the fish.

I am tired of it. No fun for me personally and I am just new to it for 30 minutes without a goal for anything. I can't imagine the rage if a higher level player needed particular things from fishing. Best not getting involved in it is my plan.

Edited by KWman.3012
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I'm finding I have several fishing achievements almost done. When I say almost I  mean every fish I don't have for those achievements  is a dusk/dawn fish that I only have a 5 minute window to catch. At first I would camp my spots out. Find a spot that would offer me the most fishing holes in an area I could get to quickly.  Park my skiff and  get ready. Staring at the time of day waiting. Then race from one hole to the next mostly with no success. I've since given up on those dusk to dawn fish and achievements unless I happen to be in the area at the right time. The frustration Of only have 5 minutes to catch the fish made it not fun, not exciting and not rewarding for me in anyway. 

• Like 1

I was enjoying it until I got to the dusk/dawn fish. Now I'm just annoyed and feel like it's tedious.

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but a 5min window every hour for a rare catch is nonsense.

And since the achievements require them and are repeatable, you're missing out on a chunk of the rewards by ignoring them.

Bait and time of day could be better utilized in general for the system.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2022 at 5:16 PM, Hashberry.4510 said:

I think fishing came too late for them to make it any use except for the folks that like scavenger hunts

Mounts in GW2 came late (compared to other MMOs) and Anet made the best mounts in the MMO industry.

Anet could have done something similar with fishing and could have created the best fishing in the MMO industry, but instead they just made an uninspired copy of Stardew Valley.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

Mounts in GW2 came late (compared to other MMOs) and Anet made the best mounts in the MMO industry.

Anet could have done something similar with fishing and could have created the best fishing in the MMO industry, but instead they just made an uninspired copy of Stardew Valley.

The anet who made mounts and the anet who made fishing are very different.  You cannot gut half of a studio's staff and expect the same quality afterward. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Haishao.6851 said:

The anet who made mounts and the anet who made fishing are very different.  You cannot gut half of a studio's staff and expect the same quality afterward. 

Sure. I know a lot of possible reasons why quality dropped in IBS and EoD. The studio was in a bad place at the end of 2019 and it needed time to get up again.

But as a paying customer I do expect the same quality that I get for my bucks and I don't care if it is the managements fault or the designers/devs fault if quality drops in the product/service of a company when I just look at the shipped, final product.

• Like 2

Short answer:

Yes. I find ingame fishing relaxing.

Long answer:

I try to find the most isolated place possible to try making it the most relaxing possible. 

Usually my own guild hall.

If I do so in open world, always get 2 or 3 types of player.

1. The Curious.

These are innocent passers by.

Usually they just come to have a look, then carry on with their business; as you were.

2. The Bored. 

These usually are bored in game, so they come swim around your skiff. Try jumping on it. 

Actually quite funny.

Kill a fish or 2 trying to get your attention. 

Sometimes distracting, but usually get bored quick and go away.

3. The bully.

These will try all they can to disrupt your fishing experience. 

They will draw in foes, in order to make you lose your fish or stop fishing altogether. 

Sometimes going to lenghts of drawing in vets or champs from miles out in order to interrupt you at any cost.

Once they succeed, they run off before you have a chance to scald them.

So overall, if you do really want to relax while fishing, choose a remote quiet area, with none or very few enemies around.

Hence, Isle of Reflection is my first choice.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203

I dont personally find fishing in gw2 to be fun I have spoken with others who defend it. I find it too unpredictable and rapid to be relaxing. I also recently learned the bait, poles, etc are per toon which is another HUGE turn-off to me. I just cannot picture myself setting up multiple toons to do this activity since I can hardly bring myself to do it at all. Even for the AP/titles (and I like those)

If ishing had been made fun I would have expected things like groups of people fishing in LA while waiting for Mad King during halloween, for instance, to be a common sight. That is, if it was a fun casual activity to do alone or w friends.

I think EQ1 had fishing first mmo wise. It was very simple but it was popular cause it was casual. You had to cast a line and wait (like real fishing) if you got a bite you just real in (was wasy to key press) then mostly u catch junk like kelp and boots, but it gave you a thing to do while sitting that was casual but still felt like you are in game. Like waiting for a spawn you could just fish and be drinking ur coffee or what ever while doing it.

Edited by Moradorin.6217
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

No, not enjoyable and not relaxing.  The mini-game is frustrating and stressful to me.   While I believe in mini-games to keep the player active and engaged, this interpretation is not something I like to do. Also, as others have listed, there are so many other complications and issues. I have enjoyed fishing in other games but I do not fish in GW2.

• Like 3

I enjoy it. Though there are a few things I would change about it. A few examples...

1. When you get a fish on the hook you can tell from either looking at where the line was cast, or looking above your head. I would prefer an audio cue. I struggle with noticing both of those indications. If you have others on the same skiff this can become even harder to notice.

2. The time limit for losing the Fishing Party buff is too short.

3. Reaching 99 stacks in Fishing Party takes too long. Sure you can join a group on LFG specifically for that purpose. But realistically speaking this isn't all too likely. Unless you're fishing in a zone such as Crystal Oasis during the day, or Kaineng at night. Which are the two best for profit. Which leads me on to my next point...

4. If you're solo fishing, by the time you hit 99 stacks you're probably going to get hit with that map volunteer option. Even in maps such as the two mentioned previously. You spend an hour getting max stacks just to get hit by that. Leaving you with an hour time limit to volunteer. Which, when you do volunteer you lose those stacks. Not like you get a choice either. If you don't volunteer, you get kicked once that timer runs out.

Honestly I would love it is the Fishing Party timer was upped to a minute or something similar. Even better if they also allowed us to carry our stacks between maps (ideally with the timer pausing while loading). Or if that's too much. At least let us keep the stacks if we volunteer to change map.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fun?  Nope. Tried it.  Found I had to do RL things like acquire bait and lures.  Found it was a mini game instead of a pastime.  Never went back.

Relaxing?  Maybe if I were someone who would be able to enter a kind of Zen meditation state where I "become the pixilated pole and the pixilated fish surrogate."  That, unfortunately, would require more patience than I would care to invest in a mini-game in an MMO whose PvE has become so tedious that I only touch it to do group content when my guild wants to.

Edited by IndigoSundown.5419
Too tense, Used the past tense when I should have used the present.
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 3 months later...

yeah, it´s kinda the same for me. Fishing would be such an awesome activity, if this stupid annoying minigame and moving to the next fishing-spot wouldn´t exist. 

I can a bit understand why they didn´t want to do this tho. The minigame and the requirement to move to random spots frequently prevents automated afk-farming, especially since the materials you get (ancient ambergris) are quite valuable (although the reason for that is literally the pain you go through farming it). 

But the result is what we have now. An activity, that IRL is considered relaxing, but inGame is the exact opposite... 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5