Do you guys find fishing fun/relaxing?

1 minute ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

I don’t find the fishing mini game worth my time.  I don’t find the mini game fun as it is very repetitive with no skill requirements really. 

I agree. I can't remember the last time I did any fishing, actually. It was probably from leaving the guild hall and having a fishing event active.

Still waiting for the "dynamite bait" to be added.

• Haha 2

Fishing is super annoying in regards to the achievements....   But once those are done, its a nice way to make a few gold here and there when you don't feel like doing much in the game or are waiting for an event/meta to start.    The achievements are what made fishing tedious to me not the actual fishing.

• Like 3

I enjoy fishing. It’s relaxing and a good activity when you just want to chill for a while after a long meta event. And driving the skiff around with the kittybot just makes the experience so much better.

I will however say that the last saltwater fish I needed did get tedious, but that’s cause I got impatient after a while so that’s on me. Got much better without the pressure to get the collection.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

It's as boring as in real life. 

I am certain it is a lot more exciting than in a computer game😉 -- for the experience of being outdoors alone. 😄

I haven't touched fishing since I finished all achievements a couple of months ago. There is nothing about it that I find worth my while.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Yupp, I find it a very chill activity and it's even more fun with friends.

I mostly only fish now to get the daily fish for Ambergris (since I finished all the achis) - I don't do it daily, just try and fish up 5-10 if I see I'm running low on one, but I always enjoy it and usually have a friend or two tag along with me.

• Like 1

Fishing is fun/relaxing when you have a full stack of fishing buff and aren't being kicked off the map. As it stands, it's an activity that requires you to prepare to have fun every single time you do it which reduces the fun and relaxation by a noticeable amount (hence the perennial threads). Additionally, once you do all that preparation, it's very easy to lose all of your progress, sometimes due to factors you have no control of.

Like any other part of the game, I think fishing should be periodically re-examined and improved as time presents itself.

Current improvements that could be made:
- Fishing party buff stacks should stay between maps/disconnects
- Fishing party buff stacks should persist ~1hour after you get them, allowing you to collect stacks on the boat and then go fish from the shore or wherever, re-upping stacks on the boat as needed; the added benefit of this is that you could pause your fishing to go help with an event or collect an onion instead of shrugging at the people dying on shore because you'd lose your progress if you stopped to help them.
- Open-water catches should contribute fishing party buff stacks; right now, catching garbage in a fishing holes counts, but catching a fish in open water doesn't
- A tackle box to hold lures and baits; the initial box should be free storage with additional expanders sold in the shop for those who want to load up on more than 250 of each, ideally this would work like a bank's material storage, allowing you to deposit bait directly from your inventory.
- Dusk/Dawn fish should also have a small chance of appearing during the day or night
- The depth charges should have a better effect; as of right now all they do is anger even more mobs than were already attacking you, even at full mastery
- Skiff HP mastery should apply when the boat is parked; currently the boat only applies this HP bonus while you are actively piloting it.
- Driving a Skiff into the event area of a fishing competition should give you a prompt window to join, like mount races do; as it stands, you have to park your boat, go ashore, talk to an NPC, and then get back on your boat to participate - this is silly.

I would dump hundreds of hours into fishing (on top of those I've already put in) if it was better-implemented and more integrated with the rest of the game instead of being the isolated task it currently is. 🎣

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

- Fishing party buff stacks should stay between maps/disconnects
- Fishing party buff stacks should persist ~1hour after you get them
- A tackle box to hold lures and baits;
- Dusk/Dawn fish should also have a small chance of appearing during the day or night

Addressing some points you listed that I feel the game needs to do to improve the fishing experience and be less frustrating. Most of these ideas are not new and can be found in QoL section but they certainly bear repeating.

• Fishing party stacks - One of the major frustrations and complains that you hear all the time. However, I would go so far as to suggest that the stacks stay active for the whole day even if you logged off for a period of time. Or lose 10 stacks per hour if logged off. But will be gone at Daily Reset unless you're actively fishing at that time.
  • Tackle Box - Definitely a great suggestions. Often find myself either looking for a vendor close by or having to go to 1K Sea lounge to buy them. And losing Fishing stacks if doing the latter.
  • Dusk/Dawn - Either get rid of it altogether, that is assign those fishes to either Day or Night, or extend the spawn time by 3 minutes each way (so you get 3 minutes before and 3 minutes after either dusk or dawn for a total of 11 minutes). 5 minutes is hardly enough time to do much at all
Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 4

Sometimes for a period I find it relaxing, but then I have to switch bait/lures for the umpteenth time or buy more, deal with map closing, deal with mobs making me get off my boat for a few seconds just to kill them, deal with trying to track down that last ascended fish in a collection that doesn't want to be found, deal with trying to find a workable pattern for fishing hole respawn in a smaller area, etc. So far I've completed 5 of the fishing achievements and feel little compulsion to return to it. I actually like it more than I thought I would as a way to chill out, but only when I can ignore all those things I named. They kind of undermine it as a way to relax for me.

Also, I agree with everything AgentMoore suggested above.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

Fishing always feels like a waste of time in any game I've played, and most attempts to make it more interesting only make that worse, because they don't make it feel less like a grind to me, they just make it feel more mandatory.

I don't mind the fishing in this game. I don't mind the minigame. I kinda like it. I just don't really see a point in doing it, and the rewards I'm vaguely aware of demand way too much investment for me to care.

Edited by Jokubas.4265
  • Like 2

I posted this elsewhere, but the thing that would make fishing much more enjoyable for me (tackle box aside) is increasing the number of fish per node to a minimum of ten (ideally infinite).

Because you constantly need to stop what you're doing and go find another node, there's never time to relax into it.  This is especially annoying when trying to fish with a few friends, because rather than settle and chat you get interrupted every minute or so with "Is everyone ready to move on?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I'm glad to see some fishing topics gaining a little traction, I've talked about my issues with it at length but I'm willing to repeat some of my points.

The way we Catch Fish- Mini-Game as we keep calling it, the 2-3 controls are extremely repetitive and has caused me minor carpal tunnel once . . . of which I don't want again. Like it or not this is a problem, and an Auto-Fish-Catching feature based on a measurement of fishing power or other, would be a huge QoL.
We already press a lot of buttons in order to use our Skiff(s) and Rods for Fishing.

Yes, I want a Tackle Box, for fishing supply storage it is a no brainer. I want the Fishing Bait/Lure to be equipped from a account storage in the Hero Panel, alike how Skins are used. But of course it makes sense to me that I'd have to still buy Baits from venders. That would also make it easier for all characters to use the Infinite Lure item from the Gemstore.

Eventually it would be nice to see more Fishing Venders added to maps you can fish in, like Draconis Mons.

Also... An interesting idea for a future update to the Skiff, is adding a unique buff that only stacks to the limit of a Fishing Node witch is commonly 3 and resets to 1 after fishing from a new Node. I think this would help the Captain of a skiff to know when everyone in their party has finished fishing a node.
This little buff could be temporary Fishing Power or some sort of fishing specific Luck, that could help you with getting the type of fish you're missing. And I don't think you should be able to gain or reset the stacks from fishing in Open Water.

This idea is meant to show who is actively fishing, the Buff can be a Flat Stat and not Stack on itself.

I really love fishing but it needs more feedback and development time.

Thanks for Reading. ❤️

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Tearthy Flame.1463 said:

Auto-Fish-Catching feature based on a measurement of fishing power or other, would be a huge QoL.

This has nothing to do with being a QoL, this is an attempt to turn it into a gathering node. And if that's what you want, just stick to gathering nodes.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

The 3 weeks that I needed to complete the related achievements, were among the most boring ever spent on GW2. But not because I think ArenaNet made the fishing particularly boring (it's better than in FF14 imo). It's just not my cup of tea, but I'm happy for the people who like it. I took some nice screenshot while fishing, and that's it; I don't think I'll ever do it again.

I never tried Archeage, so unfortunately I can't compare it to GW2.

EDIT: Ah yes, having people whispering me for information about bounties, and in general players needing help, but avoiding to help them (for the fishing buff), was a bit sad. Sometimes I wanted to help some player, but the idea to lose all the stacks wasn't appealing.

Edited by Urud.4925
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Fishing in this game is like fishing in minecraft. Boring if you're alone and you got nobody to talk to.

The idea is well executed, but the problem is that the activity itself is only good if it's either your livelihood or if you're in a group that's open to discussions.

And given you don't really need to fish for money (At least considering there's better ways to make money), it goes down to being something you do with friends.