Black Lion Special Mount Selection - Which Skyscale?

atkino.1470

Howdy,

So I'm just about to select a skin for Skyscale from the above and just wondered what, in your opinions, is the best one to pick and why? An obvious one seems to be Darkmist Terror, but you can't dye it. 

I'm currently eyeing up Aurene's Prismatic and Incarnate Flame.

Also it'd be interesting to know which skins you regret picking most? (Although all of them I'm sure are still great).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, atkino.1470 said:

Howdy,

So I'm just about to select a skin for Skyscale from the above and just wondered what, in your opinions, is the best one to pick and why? An obvious one seems to be Darkmist Terror, but you can't dye it. 

I'm currently eyeing up Aurene's Prismatic and Incarnate Flame.

Also it'd be interesting to know which skins you regret picking most? (Although all of them I'm sure are still great).

You can dye Darkmist Terror. It’s the one I selected. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All mount skins are dyable. The default ones have 1 dye channel each, all the rest have 4 dye channels.

I'm not sure why but the Wiki is missing a lot of info since the site that's hosting it was last updated. But people may have also stopped adding notes to every single skin to say it's dyable since they all are.

• Like 2

I went with the Incarnate Flame.  While it is a little garish for my low key Ranger main, the dye channels allow you to tone it down.  I went with it primarily as a result of pairing with my extremely garish Revenant, who sports the Lunatic Guard outfit with dual flaming swords... in for an ounce, in for a pound, right?  🙂

Regarding animations, I do notice that the flaming skin action kicks in about 2 seconds after mounting... not a regret, but very mildly distracting.. maybe a result of my own game/gpu settings.

Best of luck with your selection!

• Like 2

After much agonizing, I went with Stargaze. Yes, it can be one of the most eye-burning obnoxious looks if you want it to.

But I've found you can also dye the halo effect dark and the body light, and you end up with a somewhat luminescent, but no longer galactic look.

Sometimes I do see base model skyscale for a second after mounting up before the skin kicks in.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RadiantWolf.2058 said:

I so wish we could have a preview window for outfits and mounts where we could preview dyes.

Unless that's a thing and I missed it, then I feel silly

Open your mount die page while you're looking at the view page on the shop, re-dye your mount (you don't have to set it) and pick any other mount in the shop, then back to the one you want to look at and it will be that/those colors in the shop.
If you don't have a multi color skin on Your page you'll only get the main color on the store page, but you can still see how it would look a different color.

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Bilgato.8034 said:

Open your mount die page while you're looking at the view page on the shop, re-dye your mount (you don't have to set it) and pick any other mount in the shop, then back to the one you want to look at and it will be that/those colors in the shop.
If you don't have a multi color skin on Your page you'll only get the main color on the store page, but you can still see how it would look a different color.

please dont kill any mounts open the dye page instead.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lottie.5370 said:

If you're not sure, I'd recommend just looking up a video of each to see what they look like with different dyes/in-flight.

Perhaps I didn't search deeply enough, but when I was trying to decide I was underwhelmed by what was available in dye videos.

A lot of people who make preview videos do go through each dye channel to show you what they specifically dye on the skin, but then A LOT of them seem to have this fixation on black. They'll end up dying most of the channels black, adding one accent color, then flying around. On some skins the dye channels actually mix with each other, they aren't on distinct areas, so this doesn't really show you what is possible.

There's one guy who does a lot of the mounts, but really love his orange and black look, so that's what you actually get to see with each finished mount dye as he plays with it in the preview.

If anyone wants to do dye previews and creates several different dye schemes to show off, they'd stand out from the rest of the previewers.

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Perhaps I didn't search deeply enough, but when I was trying to decide I was underwhelmed by what was available in dye videos.

A lot of people who make preview videos do go through each dye channel to show you what they specifically dye on the skin, but then A LOT of them seem to have this fixation on black. They'll end up dying most of the channels black, adding one accent color, then flying around. On some skins the dye channels actually mix with each other, they aren't on distinct areas, so this doesn't really show you what is possible.

There's one guy who does a lot of the mounts, but really love his orange and black look, so that's what you actually get to see with each finished mount dye as he plays with it in the preview.

If anyone wants to do dye previews and creates several different dye schemes to show off, they'd stand out from the rest of the previewers.

I know you already chose your mount, but for future reference I have almost all skins and dyes, and would be willing to demonstrate them and redye at request (I keep a written list of dye schemes so I can put it back to my chosen dyes very quickly).  If you're on NA and available eastern time afternoons/evenings/nights. feel free to ping me to set up a time for such a thing when you are trying to decide on a mount skin.  This is a general offer to anyone interested.

Dulfy's old videos of new mount skins did include several rotations of dyes for each one, but I haven't seen previews that do that lately.  Most of them don't even get the mount, they just use the preview window and thus the default dyes for each mount.  I suppose the huge variety of dyes now and the broad spectrum of personal taste on color schemes and amount of glow makes it prohibitive to show what each mount can look like.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Donari.5237 said:

I know you already chose your mount, but for future reference I have almost all skins and dyes, and would be willing to demonstrate them and redye at request (I keep a written list of dye schemes so I can put it back to my chosen dyes very quickly).  If you're on NA and available eastern time afternoons/evenings/nights. feel free to ping me to set up a time for such a thing when you are trying to decide on a mount skin.  This is a general offer to anyone interested.

Dulfy's old videos of new mount skins did include several rotations of dyes for each one, but I haven't seen previews that do that lately.  Most of them don't even get the mount, they just use the preview window and thus the default dyes for each mount.  I suppose the huge variety of dyes now and the broad spectrum of personal taste on color schemes and amount of glow makes it prohibitive to show what each mount can look like.

That’s a kind offer. Thanks!

I think if I was to do a video, I’d start by doing what most of them do, turn the whole thing black, then each channel a contrast color one at a time. Great way to show the limits of each channel.

Then I’d shoot for dying each channel a high contrast, something like red, yellow, green, blue. It’d look hideous on most mounts, but give a good map of how the channels overlap, if they do.

Finally, a couple color schemes. Push the overall look dark, push it light, and then one muted look to show how natural one could go. For a big finale, finish with a flashy, but designed scheme for an impressive look.

Of course, this is a lot for just one skin. A lot of the previews out there are going through an entire set of skins after they are released. That would make for a very long video.

• Like 2