AED

Bast.7253

51 minutes ago, Bast.7253 said:

Needs to grant the same level of healing as comparable spells, like willbender. Whether it functions slightly differently or not it should not be granting a full health bar.

Nah, AED is fine.

You have to take fatal damage period to get the giga heal. That's not very comparable to "blocking any atrack."

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

It’s cool down is way too low for what it can do, an evasive enough player can keep A.E.D. readily available for whenever they find themselves in danger.

While on the topic of holosmith, when are they going to take a look at Lock On trait? Could probably have it’s CD doubled or Reveal Halved.

Edited by MARTIGIN.2136
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

51 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Nah, AED is fine.

You have to take fatal damage period to get the giga heal. That's not very comparable to "blocking any atrack."

Should it really grant a full health bar though? There isn't much of a visual indicator and all it takes is one stack of stab/stunbreak, pop heal, and the fight has reset. Willbender's heal really doesn't do much healing even if using both charges. 

I would be fine if it had more of an indicator so you could see when to stop attacking but in a team fight, anything can do fatal damage if they stand in it to reset their health. Same as full counter. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

32 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

Gasp, an engi gadget being useful! Nerf it!

Are we acting as though engi doesn't have enough gadgets?

Holo alone has so many defensives, resets, and ways to exit a fight only to return and instant burst/cc lock someone. Scrapper is a bit more difficult to play but engi has a very robust toolkit. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

43 minutes ago, MARTIGIN.2136 said:

It’s cool down is way too low for what it can do, an evasive enough player can keep A.E.D. readily available for whenever they find themselves in danger.

While on the topic of holosmith, when are they going to take a look at Lock On trait? Could probably have it’s CD doubled or Reveal Halved.

I'm not familiar with the trait but holo elite locks on target, even in stealth. Obviously other things do as well but compare holo's elite to Virtuoso's elite. A knockback that grants burning and follows target versus virtuoso's rapid attack that does dismal damage and is unrealistic to ever land in pvp. Engineer always has improved versions of other profession abilities. It's baffling. 

• Confused 5

9 minutes ago, Bast.7253 said:

Should it really grant a full health bar though? There isn't much of a visual indicator and all it takes is one stack of stab/stunbreak, pop heal, and the fight has reset. Willbender's heal really doesn't do much healing even if using both charges. 

I would be fine if it had more of an indicator so you could see when to stop attacking but in a team fight, anything can do fatal damage if they stand in it to reset their health. Same as full counter. 

Theres not a major visual indicator on the character model, but audio indicator tells you when its active and targeting them tells you current time on aed (via the aed icon), which I think is fine for most cases. If they are high level and try to cast as theyre taking the lethal damage,  you can throw them a daze or cc instead. 

The only time you'd probably be forced to trigger it is if you're condi and overplay your dot stacks, or are in a teamfight (which I think justifies the heal anyway given they have to anticipate taking death damage.).

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bast.7253 said:

Are we acting as though engi doesn't have enough gadgets?

Holo alone has so many defensives, resets, and ways to exit a fight only to return and instant burst/cc lock someone. Scrapper is a bit more difficult to play but engi has a very robust toolkit. 

I mean... we've got rocket boots and.... 

Well there's rocket boots. 

I've seen a few memesters run Battering Ram. 

Did I mention rocket boots?

• Like 6

It heals 12k, which is not full health.

Why do you not read the wiki first?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/A.E.D.

A comparable skill for untamed is perilous gift:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Perilous_Gift

You *cannot die* for 3s, meaning you can tank any amount of damage, then you heal for 1/3 of your max hp, which is at least 6k, but can go as high as 10k if you have 30k max hp.

It also gives you stability or superspeed (you can choose by unleashing yourself or your pet)

If perilous gift is balanced, then so is A.E.D

Edited by pbalint.1607
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

17 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Nah, AED is fine.

I disagree. The guaranteed heal is 4.3k, which is comparable to some other heal skills (e.g. Shelter), PLUS a "I can't die for 5s" effect, PLUS a minimal visual indicator that the skill is active, PLUS it cleanses damaging conditions if triggered, PLUS it can be traited to have a 24s CD. That's busted.

Compare that to something like Defiant Stance. It has a similar "I can't die effect" but can't gain a reduced CD, gets a minimal guaranteed heal, and shows the whole world that each hit is healing you so they know to stow their attacks. That's balanced. 

Edit: yes, I am aware that you could gang up on and engi and blow through the AED giga heal whereas you can't do that with Defiant Stance--something that certainly has its uses in big battles like those in WvW. However, AED is disproportionately stronger (and more problematic) in smaller scale fights and in PvP in particular. 

Edited by CalmTheStorm.2364
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

So it has finally happened, they have come for our gadgets, the last sliver of hope in actually having fun in the game.

But is this a troll thread? AED has a healing skill wind up, glowing blue effect, a buff icon and makes a loud whirring sound so what additional tell could you want?

and with the damage of some classes, is for some reason getting plowed through almost instantly even despite it's anti focus nature.

Edited by Stalima.5490
  • Like 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

a minimal visual indicator that the skill is active

I wouldn't call the indicators that AED is active minimal. One of the first things I learned when fighting engies running this heal is to watch the tooltip for the activation. That coupled by the weird little hum noise that comes from them while it's up is substantial enough to justify a full heal. That's telegraphed enough to me.

The guaranteed heal is 4.3k, which is comparable to some other heal skills (e.g. Shelter)

4.3k heals suck. 6-9k should be the ideal with sliding scale based on cd, but that's neither here or there. Just griping. 

PLUS a "I can't die for 5s" effect

This part is where I can see debate. If you want to narrow the window AED is up for before expiring, sure. free pressure for 5s -is-, admittedly a bit much. When the counterplay is to stop all damage, the window for it should not have you actively having to run for 5 seconds. 

, PLUS it cleanses damaging conditions if triggered,

This is fine, just don't trigger it. Engies have limited condi removal besides, and their more reliable condi options often require some kind of clunky ritual. 

PLUS it can be traited to have a 24s CD. 

24 seconds heal is fine. That's still around the cd of all their other heals. 

Healing turret fell off when people whining about it bumped the cd up to 30 seconds for PvP. Should leave those alone. 

I can't get behind the notion of AED being busted. It's largely dependent on the opponent to trigger, so I'm flabbergasted as to why people are unironically considering it overpowered beyond the point of perhaps it creates a low damage environment for a bit too long.

Just...stop hitting it. idk. 

So it has finally happened, they have come for our gadgets, the last sliver of hope in actually having fun in the game.

But is this a troll thread? AED has a healing skill wind up, glowing blue effect, a buff icon and makes a loud whirring sound so what additional tell could you want?

and with the damage of some classes, is for some reason getting plowed through almost instantly even despite it's anti focus nature.

@Stalima.5490 's right here I think.

Are we back to asking for things to be nerfed despite them waving like 5 red flags saying "This thing is going to happen if you do this"? This bodes poorly. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As a self-admitted A.E.D. abuser, I'd like to add in some of my other favorite things about the skill that have yet to be mentioned.

1. Inventions heal reset which allows for back to back A.E.D. usage
  2. Shocking aura

That said, when you go up against someone who is actually semi-decent at playing around the skill, it does become a liability in 1v1 situations.

I think may become an issue if/when anet gives elite toolbelt skills back to scrapper and/or holo. A.E.D. + the extra heal and cleanses from supply crate toolbelt might push some builds over the top.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 3:58 AM, Bast.7253 said:

You have to take in mind engies needs to wait till their health bar its almost empty to use the gadget to not risk losing all the skill value.  So by the time youre at 5% you could have used other low cd heal skills like the elixir one two times in a row. 

• Like 5

On 10/18/2022 at 3:58 AM, Bast.7253 said:

its not granting full health bar.

u have plenty of tells. blue light pulse. 2 giant arm wrist on the engi. loud whirring sound when its active. buff icon telling u its on.

if u somehow miss all of the above and still trigger it in a 1v1 u are the problem, not the AED

it works semi okay in teamfights, only problem is that to get any real value out of aed u run it with rather glassy setup so u need a support to be any good in teamfights or ull just get pingponged around or focused down hard.

dont nerf gadgets. im tired of running elixirs 

• Like 5