Does it feal like ANET is just mailing it in for Halloween this year?

Solomon Darkfury.3729

No talk...

No hype...

No presales...

The announcement was only one kitten paragraph with absolutely NOTHING specific mentioned. Just a "Hey Halloween is back on the 18th so yeah..."

Anyone else feel like either ANET just doesn't care or perhaps they are hiding so huge new Halloween stuff? (Second part is probably just my wishful thinking)

• Like 2
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 1

They do extend the rewards every year, and add a few new achivements, but festivals are mostly for new players who have an overhelming amount of stuff to get from them, not us veterans. We need to keep in mind as the game gets older and older, we're less important and that's just how it is--fresh blood keeps the ship afloat.

• Like 7

They really don't hype festivals very far in advance, more just a date and that's it.  They tend to drop a trailer the day of, and that's about it.  Feels normal /shrug.  Don't they usually have featured items available during the festivals as opposed to before?  

Sorry they don't have candy at 50 percent off for two months before Halloween.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

They really don't hype festivals very far in advance, more just a date and that's it.  They tend to drop a trailer the day of, and that's about it.  Feels normal /shrug.  Don't they usually have featured items available during the festivals as opposed to before?  

Sorry they don't have candy at 50 percent off for two months before Halloween.

They do, however, sell candy. Whereas we have started seeing festivals with their associated items not on sale,  like the continue coin and some gobblers. 

• Confused 2

14 minutes ago, chronometria.3708 said:

They do, however, sell candy. Whereas we have started seeing festivals with their associated items not on sale,  like the continue coin and some gobblers. 

Lol they do sell candy, but many of the items also rotate around throughout the year.  Would it make sense to hype it up the week before, yes.  But they choose not to typically.  Go figure.

12 hours ago, Solomon Darkfury.3729 said:

No talk...

No hype...

No presales...

The announcement was only one kitten paragraph with absolutely NOTHING specific mentioned. Just a "Hey Halloween is back on the 18th so yeah..."

Anyone else feel like either ANET just doesn't care or perhaps they are hiding so huge new Halloween stuff? (Second part is probably just my wishful thinking)

Not to come across as being rude but I mean how do you expect ANET to react about upcoming events? Who knows they might have something new up their sleeves and we will be surprised on the day. I'm already hyped about the Mad King event because I enjoy Halloween all the time but of course ANET does care about their player base because they would be nothing without us.

11 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

They do extend the rewards every year, and add a few new achivements, but festivals are mostly for new players who have an overhelming amount of stuff to get from them, not us veterans. We need to keep in mind as the game gets older and older, we're less important and that's just how it is--fresh blood keeps the ship afloat.

Technically it's not "fresh blood" that's keeping the ship afloat because as a veteran you're still paying their gem store for their black lion keys, mount skins, outfit styles, wardrobe styles, bag expansions, bank expansions, level 80 tickets and so on. It's not the end of the world.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, WillowWisp.6497 said:

Not to come across as being rude but I mean how do you expect ANET to react about upcoming events? Who knows they might have something new up their sleeves and we will be surprised on the day. I'm already hyped about the Mad King event because I enjoy Halloween all the time but of course ANET does care about their player base because they would be nothing without us.

Technically it's not "fresh blood" that's keeping the ship afloat because as a veteran you're still paying their gem store for their black lion keys, mount skins, outfit styles, wardrobe styles, bag expansions, bank expansions, level 80 tickets and so on. It's not the end of the world.

Many years ago they released a statement on this stating that veterans hardly spend any money on the game, for two reasons, 1. because they've nearly bought everything they'll ever need after a few years, and 2. because of having access to all the content, having all the permanent bonuses, etc. means they farm gold at a very steady rate and get most of their gemstore items using gold to gems conversion.

Some very established players spend thousands of gold worth of gems every day with TP flipping and such. I've been in guilds with veteran players who have 10,000 gold on their alt accounts, not even their main.

On the other hand, while newbies who get into the game are more than likely to spend massive amounts of money on permanent account and character upgrades within the first 1-2 years (usually before leaving not long after), which is why MMOs take advantage of that join-spend-leave cycle.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, Solomon Darkfury.3729 said:

No talk...

No hype...

No presales...

No I don't get that feeling, it must be all you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

15 hours ago, Solomon Darkfury.3729 said:

No talk...

No hype...

No presales...

That's how most festival announcements are. Just to take a look at this year and 2021:

1. Festival of the Four Winds: Only a news post to say that it's live; last year we had 
  2. Dragon Bash: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/dragon-bash-2022-begins-next-week/ - two paragraphs, the second one is almost identical to the one paragraph from 2021.
  3. Super Adventure Box: Also only got a "it's live" post; last year 
  4. Lunar New Year: Got what you can barely call a paragraph, and this festival doesn't have a trailer from 4 years ago for them to reuse every year!
  5. Wintersday 2021: This announcement post was actually pretty stuffed large, an oddity for sure, probably done because of the lack of content, though it's still 2 paragraphs if you ignore the contests.
  6. Halloween 2021: one paragraph if you ignore the sweepstakes which are unusual.

In short, what they did this year... is what they've done for every festival every year, with a handful of anomalies like Halloween and Wintersday 2021.

14 hours ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

Pretty much all their festivals are phoned in.  They just have a code switch to turn them on & off. Nothing new, nothing changes.  The Queen's Pavilion is the only one I mess with - the monster bashing is fun there. 😎

Halloween actually did get new content last year. Just as it did in 2018, 2017, 2015, and 2013. Though 2013 was the largest amount of new content out of those years besides, of course, 2012.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No, it’s standard procedure. Festivals return with a couple new skins for people to pursue if they have the rest and we enjoy it because it’s only three weeks out of each year so it doesn’t feel too stale.  Them actually adding content beyond skins is the option that’s out of the norm. I’ve noticed that most years, one festival gets more significant content.

2018 was the remade four winds

2019 remade dragon bash

2020 New Years got the celestial arena game mode 

2021 Halloween got two new labyrinth bosses

2022, I don’t think any festival got much. I guess you could say the skiff race and fishing for four winds was relatively significant. I was hoping they’d add a holiday fishing for every festival but I guess if they do it won’t all be in this year now  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

the 50 AP(or even more) is good to AP hunters.

but for us veterans, we just collected all skins, even the new ones introduced past years.

hallowen itself, have perhaps 3, 5 weapons sets?? i remember when royal flame come out, i was very  enthusiastic.

been 11 Halloween Festival of a lot of the same stuff.  Most of the Achiv. have long been done.  The newish 50pt is great but its way pass the time to reset all the achievements.  Always a let down to me to see most of them unchanged year after year. Like Anet don't really care about us vets.  :(  

• Like 2

On 10/18/2022 at 2:50 AM, Solomon Darkfury.3729 said:

No talk...

No hype...

No presales...

Lot of MMOs put out annual repeatable content year after year with little to no change as its cheap, easy, low dev resource content to literally flick a switch and hey presto another 3 weeks of "filler content" done and dusted.   Bemuses the player base for a short time, simultaneously chuck a ton of thematic cash shop items in the mix to maximise revenue. 

It's certainly not a major focus for the software company, and certainly not something they want to waste valuable dev or marketing resources on when it's largely old, repeatable content that most vet players see it for what it actually is  "$$$ rinse and repeat strategy $$$" 

It's a win-win for Anet:Minimise company expenditure (look at the bare minimum of implementation changes they made from last year, few new minis, skins, some kitten fugly chain weapon set: literally bare minimum effort to code), as per usual fill gemstore with the usual Halloween annual rotation stuff, *guides the hands* into the pockets of all the impulsive purchasers to part with their gems swept along with the *Festivities of Halloween!!! *, good business acumen if you ask me!!! 😉

Edited by Gregg.3970
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Every festival got some new stuff - and the recent changes were (more) weapons for the Kodan vendor. And the new daily with a chance for the new skins (that you can sell on the trading post). I wonder if next year we weill get yet more skins.. The stuff sold at the Kodan vendor ... should all be made into full sets split over the different festivals maybe ...

but then I'd say it is enough. Should be time to finish things and focus on other content. (Where actually bug fixes might be needed. + new stuff like the future Canthan maps and a possible new living world story season. Also WvW/PvW can need updates.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 4