Mesmer and Observation on Ranked

This is not a complain thread. I'd like to say that the tiny buff to mesmer made power chrono super fun to play. Thank you Anet, and while Im at it, please fix evasive arcana on ele grandmaster arcane. Broken since August. When one attunement doesn't activate on dodge, it triggers the heII out of my OCD. 

Now on ranked..... is it me or on certain maps, the larger ones, chasing and killing became the new objective. It's like everyone now plays for 3 sides (which is good) but no one side nodes anymore. Maybe it's just me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, greedywholesome.9081 said:

This is not a complain thread. I'd like to say that the tiny buff to mesmer made power chrono super fun to play. Thank you Anet, and while Im at it, please fix evasive arcana on ele grandmaster arcane. Broken since August. When one attunement doesn't activate on dodge, it triggers the heII out of my OCD. 

Now on ranked..... is it me or on certain maps, the larger ones, chasing and killing became the new objective. It's like everyone now plays for 3 sides (which is good) but no one side nodes anymore. Maybe it's just me. 

It's just mobility creep.

After EOD dropped, aggressive targeted chase-burst power is nearly double disengage factors. This is resulting in a meta where side node role is dead because everyone moves so fast that if anything gets caught moving around by itself, it just gets 2v1 tele-bursted in less than 8 seconds. There really isn't any class that can go anywhere alone for any substantial amount of time before being 2v1 killed. Sometimes if you greatly out-skill some players, you can purposely rope-a-dope the 1v2, but in general, in say higher tiered final rounds of ATs, trying to side node like that just gets you killed.

Side noding is no longer a class role that you design a build around. It's more like an action or a play that can be taken when it's advantageous to do so, and only for short durations of time when it is safe. All builds share this role now.

The meta is highly encouraging of running team fight builds. Just stay together, don't overextend, and punish the enemies who dare to overextend with 2v1 telebursting. That's what's happening. It now requires heavy stealth usage to move around a map solo and not get dropped from telebursting nearly immediately in higher tiers.

This same effect is also why matches feel so snowbally lately in terms of final score outcomes. Because as soon as one team goes on team wipe, g'luck disengaging your spawn back to nodes when every class chases with offense twice as fast as any class can disengage. It just results in big team fights happening at spawns, and if your team can't quite manage to win a team fight, GG. You won't be pushing back to nodes for any rotational score play.

Arenanet really needs to equalize the chase vs disengage again. Either cull some of this aggressive forward chase power, or buff disengage skills. Either or would work.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

After EOD dropped, aggressive targeted chase-burst power is nearly double disengage factors. This is resulting in a meta where side node role is dead because everyone moves so fast that if anything gets caught moving around by itself, it just gets 2v1 tele-bursted in less than 8 seconds. There really isn't any class that can go anywhere alone for any substantial amount of time before being 2v1 killed. Sometimes if you greatly out-skill some players, you can purposely rope-a-dope the 1v2, but in general, in say higher tiered final rounds of ATs, trying to side node like that just gets you killed.

Side noding is no longer a class role that you design a build around. It's more like an action or a play that can be taken when it's advantageous to do so, and only for short durations of time when it is safe. All builds share this role now.

The meta is highly encouraging of running team fight builds. Just stay together, don't overextend, and punish the enemies who dare to overextend with 2v1 telebursting. That's what's happening. It now requires heavy stealth usage to move around a map solo and not get dropped from telebursting nearly immediately in higher tiers.

This same effect is also why matches feel so snowbally lately in terms of final score outcomes. Because as soon as one team goes on team wipe, g'luck disengaging your spawn back to nodes when every class chases with offense twice as fast as any class can disengage. It just results in big team fights happening at spawns, and if your team can't quite manage to win a team fight, GG. You won't be pushing back to nodes for any rotational score play.

Arenanet really needs to equalize the chase vs disengage again. Either cull some of this aggressive forward chase power, or buff disengage skills. Either or would work.

In other words, EoD has pooped the bed. Forget improving the game, just give everybody candy and cookies!

It's basically Call of Duty where devs just hand out aim bots and guns with no recoil.

• Confused 1

To me the gravity well build feels like it cements the mobility meta since a low mobility build will eat at least the second grav well while the mobility specs don't stay in one place for long enough to get value out of it or have TP out skill. I feel like they slapped grav well on necro and thief to add counter measures to mobility but it is basically double down on making it hard on anything that doesn't, so if your stunbreaks can't get you off the cc zones you are dead and you have to worry about several instances of it .

Wish there was some telegraph to it but the animation and the sound play after you are in the thing and the mesmer just kills in it or everyone ports in and explodes you. Idk gravity well skills are probably the strongest ccs in the game yet you don't have any way to anticipate them and then you have stuff like Drop the Hammer that is fair but doesn't do kitten. It is kinda I win button like Ramage before.

There is also the CD reset thing and people rioted on Bladesworn even though it was running around with the kitten shouts.

There is also little bit to much cc on everything for free, wish that bruiser/support/teamfighters had shtick with the cc and the Assasiny builds stuck to just doing damage instead of being everything like now. 

Personally I do not like when builds force what can and what you cannot play, since you are countered on build level and not on skill level. 

• Like 2

On 10/22/2022 at 4:03 PM, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Vindi, chrono bunker, cata, virtuoso, fire weaver. like you have tons of builds w giga sustain wich can easily survive outnumbering lmao.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Leonidrex.5649 said:

I dont see the point in chrono. condi chrono "bunker" will get kitten on by decent players on side, and power chrono will become unusable the moment thief players go back to DD and realise its still strong.

Yes I play power chrono w/ SOI to irritate certain classes but right on about thief as what @felix.2386 stated. I don't do bunker condi. 

On 10/23/2022 at 3:03 AM, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Hmm kind of, i think the problem we see is that there are no Roles in PvP anymore. I mean they exist and are strong but no one plays them. If you que in ranked you should able to duel/team/roam so high mobility is one way off doing this.
There are of coarse other ways, playing pure ranged classes like with Engineer.

I find the most prolific classes the ones that do this perfectly like Elementalist which can Tank/Condi/Power/Heal so it can address any problem.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/25/2022 at 12:46 AM, Vancho.8750 said:

Wish there was some telegraph to it but the animation and the sound play after you are in the thing

> chronomancer cross their arms and raises them in the air (only spell in game using this animation AFAIK)
> loud WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM plays in the distance
> huge and scary dark purple aura concentrating on the body of the mesmer
> "GeEz I wOnDeR wHaT iS tHiS gUy Up To"

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

I'm happy with the power mesmers now running around in conquest.

The condi ones got even more dumb to fight... but what can you do.

Rework staff to make it an actual weapon instead of clone spam fiesta, now that S*lar was finally yeeted away from the skills team.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 10:47 AM, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

> chronomancer cross their arms and raises them in the air (only spell in game using this animation AFAIK)
> loud WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM plays in the distance
> huge and scary dark purple aura concentrating on the body of the mesmer
> "GeEz I wOnDeR wHaT iS tHiS gUy Up To"

"Ou no my main is getting criticized on kitten mechanics that got it into the gutter in the first place"

2 minutes ago, Vancho.8750 said:

"Ou no my main is getting criticized on kitten mechanics that got it into the gutter in the first place"

If you want to complain about things that could use a proper tell on mesmer, you should look at Magic Bullet. Long hard stun, ranged, with the same animation as Black Powder. THAT would need a proper tell. But grav well? It's very slightly less telegraphed than prime light beam.

Just now, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

If you want to complain about things that could use a proper tell on mesmer, you should look at Magic Bullet. Long hard stun, ranged, with the same animation as Black Powder. THAT would need a proper tell. But grav well? It's very slightly less telegraphed than prime light beam.

There are plenty of kitten telegraphed skills and others that look like they do allot but not really. Personally I do not like the Hand Wave skills on the character if they are ranged AOE skill(the thief grav well) or near instant ones on your character( the harbinger grav well), you can't convince me that doing finger dancing off screen is valid telegraph. 
The sound queue plays when the well has done its job, if we look at a skill that has almost the same Job Chilled to the Bone  or Jade Winds you can hear the sound queue before the effect both of which have different color scheme than the default class one.

All I'm saying is that the ranged and AoE skills should probably have distinct animation/sound telegraph on the Skill and not the character and I know there is the tech to do a short cast with a long after animation.

Also a better comparison skill on engi would not be Prime light beam but Supply crate, since Prime light is scatter skill while the Supply crate is the all in wombo combo one.

I know that shtick of mesmer is tricks and illusions and chrono has been on the bench for years cause anet couldn't untangle the mess they created, but we can separate the state of it from the fact that it has way too strong single skills that got copy pasted over other professions. 

1 hour ago, Vancho.8750 said:

All I'm saying is that the ranged and AoE skills should probably have distinct animation/sound telegraph on the Skill and not the character

But that's not the case. This is not some Spinal Shivers-tier animation, some subtle hand wave and that's it. The mesmer has a very unique and very telegraphed animation, and a huge black aura all over the character from the second it starts casting.

1 minute ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

But that's not the case. This is not some Spinal Shivers-tier animation, some subtle hand wave and that's it. The mesmer has a very unique and very telegraphed animation, and a huge black aura all over the character from the second it starts casting.

You are looking into it way too much from the 1v1 perspective, where it can be discerned easier (still purple everywhere mesmer mind games and all) but there is too much particle effects flying in a teamfight to notice that the mesemer is doing a magenta skill instead of purple one and that from range.  
The telegraph is not good for the impact of the skill. 

On 10/28/2022 at 4:07 AM, Leonidrex.5649 said:

I dont see the point in chrono. condi chrono "bunker" will get kitten on by decent players on side, and power chrono will become unusable the moment thief players go back to DD and realise its still strong.

Doesnt matter how many mats chrono will win you will still cope the fact u just cant play it.

On 10/29/2022 at 6:04 PM, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

Spinal shivers is fairly easy to dodge