Bathroom Manners

TOAD.4718

I’ve been walking around this world and I have yet to see a single bathroom. What does GW 2 lore say about this? Do people just go “wherever”? In the woods? The lakes? Do Charr have litter boxes?

I am really concerned about the health and hygiene of Tyria. Does Tyria have an EPA? Do they know about the terrible conditions some of the children are living in?

• Haha 6

18 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

There are many dialogues of outhouses, toilets, pots, latrines, sinks, sewers, and more. Depends on where in the world you are for what quality of bathroom you get.

Yeah but is there a physically designed one? I mean my toddler can tell me “hey I washed my hands” but do you just take their word for it?

Also what about handicap accessible ramps?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, TOAD.4718 said:

Yeah but is there a physically designed one? I mean my toddler can tell me “hey I washed my hands” but do you just take their word for it?

Also what about handicap accessible ramps?

Mesmer portals.  They just port people who can't make it up the stairs.

We all poop glitter and rainbows in Tyria. They just magically dissipate.  

There are pots to clean up during one Heart in Vabbi. As far as I know, that's the closest toilets get in form of ingame assets.

But I don't think having toilet assets (other than the Mystic Toilet) is necessary. Unless Arenanet puts in an unclean scavenger hunt like in Astral Chain, toilets wouldn't be used anyway. The resources to make them should go towards actual content.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2

Really, how often are bathroom functions seen in movies or books, unless the plot specifically calls for it? In  Star Wars, people were excited to finally see a toilet on the Mandalorian, and how much source material came before that?

I'd say it's normal.

You have to use your imagination for some stuff, and shrug off other stuff, like being able to walk through people. The alternative for that would not be enjoyable.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember a dialogue between an asura and a human: the human asked if they had outhouses, and the asura said "nope, we have water closets". The human seemed like he never heard about them.

There is also some NPC here and there, on latrine duty, so there are definitely latrines in Tyria. Maybe humans have only latrines/outhouses, while asura found a way to climb water closets... I didn't find anything about sylvari and charr 😕 (I guess norns go with the wind and the spirits of nature)

• Haha 2

On 1/3/2023 at 4:22 AM, mercury ranique.2170 said:

I'd prefer to know where the litter boxes are for the char...

The Charr are one of the most technically advanced societies in Tyria, so they have toilets and showers in communal barracks style in town, and military latrines out in the field. In fact, there is such a shower in the Black Citadel "home instance" area.

Humans vary by location. Urban areas in advanced nations like Divinity's Reach, Lion's Arch and New Kaineng have sewer systems and plumbing. Rural areas and less advanced nations like Elona have more primitive options like outhouses and chamber pots. One may reasonably assume their bathing facilities follow suit.

The Asura have toilets and sewer systems, as attested and seen in the game.

The Norn are definitely at the outhouse, latrine, chamber pot level. As far as bathing goes, a "shower" to a Norn is standing under a waterfall; baths in washtubs and streams are probably the norm.

Sylvari biology isn't very clear on such matters. But assuming they do anything at all, they probably just use the nearest bush as a toilet and are fine with bathing in streams.

Edited by Jimbru.6014
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Jimbru.6014 said:

The Charr are one of the most technologically advanced societies in Tyria, so they probably have toilets and showers in communal barracks style in town, and military latrines out in the field. In fact, I think there actually is such a shower in the Black Citadel "home instance" area.

Humans probably vary by location. In Central Tyria, urban areas like Divinity's Reach and Lion's Arch have fully functional sewer systems and plumbing. Rural areas have more primitive options like outhouses. Joko kept Vabbi isolated for centuries so it's still running on chamber pots.

This is correct, its confirmed that all advanced races have some kind of indoor plumbing, although the further you get from the main cities it gets into outhouse and waterfall territory. In Black Citadel there's even multiple tiers of rooms in Hero's Canton that have communal beds and showers.

Most of the races (except the Norn) also have electricity, or some kind of magic-fuelled lighting and ventilation. though we don't go indoors often so this isn't shown very well. The Sylvari also don't seem to need it due to their naturally bioluminescent architecture.

Even in Cantha, hygeine likely becomes rather primitive away from New Keining. Seitung seems to have some plumbing and electricity at least in its rural housing areas.

Players seem to assume this is a middle ages era game, but even the Charr technology in the base game are industrial age advancement, the Asura are information age at the earliest, and Cantha's take on Asura technology (Jade tech), is in the digital age. All of Tyria is on the same footing as the last century of our world.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...