Are you already prepared for alliances?

roederich.2716

Are you already prepared for alliances?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Are you already prepared for alliances?

• Yes, our community is already prepared and informed. We know who we will play with at the start and are ready to transfer into the new system
    • No, we havent done anything yet

Alliances has been announced years ago.

Anet started the developement in 2021 and gave us summaries and also screenshots of the planned systems.

betas are taking place to test and develope the background systems further.

While anet is working on the system the existing server communities have already time now to think and start organisation for the later transfer into the new system.

Have you done anything regarding this yet? If not, what server are your currently playing at? Why did you community not start any organisation for the later yet?

Edited by roederich.2716
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just play weekly reset until I finish my wooden tier - for the +1 pip in the following week should I suddenly decide to want to play more. Since I do not play in a guild ... taking away the servers will even lower my motivation ... but I guess I will stay with this style of play (still enough to finish gift of battle reward tracks if needed + for legendary armor I have enough stuff from PvP playing it normally already) ... until they maybe at some point will make changes/improvements to the game mode to bring in more stuff that motivates players to play it. (Instead of taking away that stuff only.)

We'll see how long they keep this system in place - once it gets released. (I do not expext it 2023 yet. They slowly seem to make progress doing those betas. 2024 seems like a good estimation I think.) Maybe they quickly will revert it announcing it as failed. (Similar to the Strongold game mode that did not get any other additions anymore in PvP.) A huge drop in numbers ... regarding the amount of players playing WvW (+ losing the income from gem purchases for world transfers) ... might make it possible that just just waiting 1-2 years until they revert it ... can be good enough. But we'll see about that. Will still take some time since the system is far away from finished.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

I just play weekly reset until I finish my wooden tier - for the +1 pip in the following week should I suddenly decide to want to play more. Since I do not play in a guild ... taking away the servers will even lower my motivation ... but I guess I will stay with this style of play (still enough to finish gift of battle reward tracks if needed + for legendary armor I have enough stuff from PvP playing it normally already) ... until they maybe at some point will make changes/improvements to the game mode to bring in more stuff that motivates players to play it. (Instead of taking away that stuff only.)

We'll see how long they keep this system in place - once it gets released. (I do not expext it 2023 yet. They slowly seem to make progress doing those betas. 2024 seems like a good estimation I think.) Maybe they quickly will revert it announcing it as failed. (Similar to the Strongold game mode that did not get any other additions anymore in PvP.) A huge drop in numbers ... regarding the amount of players playing WvW (+ losing the income from gem purchases for world transfers) ... might make it possible that just just waiting 1-2 years until they revert it ... can be good enough. But we'll see about that. Will still take some time since the system is far away from finished.

I dont think this post was directed at players like you that only comes to wvw for GoB, but people invested in their servers and community

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, lotus.5672 said:

I dont think this post was directed at players like you that only comes to wvw for GoB, but people invested in their servers and community

Well ... such people can just wait before the system gets removed again. Until we really can have "communities" again. (= the normal servers). I explained how they made it less interesting for me with already introducing linking and making certain style of play (defensively) less interesting with the participation system.

More like ... the post probably was targeted at serious/hardcore players organized in guilds. A solo player can still have fun with "his" (or her) server. With servers getting removed ... this is only targeted at guild players. (I am in a Discord of my server and I think there are bigger "community guilds" and they were talking a bit about this - but no real big advertising. And I still would prefer to not be able to forced to join a guild. I mean the "Guild Wars" is only a lore thing and has no real meaning. And we can have parties and squads. Guild = too much pressure even if they have lenient rules.)

On  a site note: I have never changed the server. Played WvW from release until end 2013. Then back to GW2 in June 2019 and back in WvW since 2020. Underworld is fun. I still remember some names from back 2012/13 (some commander called "Archie the Cub" that was fun to run with). And the times when we were lowest tier (without the linking stuff) ... still trying to fight back a bit. But the system needs to offer an opportunity to have such fun.

And ... "preparing" for a system you know you won't like - can only be "no preparing" and/or playing less to send a sign to ArenaNet to change their efforts in a different direction.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

On  a site note: I have never changed the server. Played WvW from release until end 2013. Then back to GW2 in June 2019 and back in WvW since 2020.

So you didn't play during that time when the necessity of server links and better population management became apparent. Good to know. Many other MMOs just outright delete servers...

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

So you didn't play during that time when the necessity of server links and better population management became apparent. Good to know. Many other MMOs just outright delete servers...

Deleting servers ... actually would have been a better option. With announcing it early + allowing for free transfers. To rebalance the population. Or at least permanent links. But I guess they wanted to have it with re-linking to get people to transfer often (to "stack" on the strongest servers) ... to earn money from gems. I just wonder how they want to earn money from transfers ... with the alliances system and servers not important anymore. (+ if the people that like to "stack" on the strongerst servers ... will still like it - of the system counters then by giving them a balanced matchup and they can't pwn anymore ... they might leave as well - together with those that prefer "server identity".)

It definitely will lead to a smaller playerbase. For PvE though the mega server system was a great change. Nobdy can argue with that I guess. (Only a bit bad with the statues/temples in Orr that worked better with the classig server systen im PvE.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't answer to that, because I don't understand what your definition for "being prepared" is and we don't really know anything about the long term impact of Alliances, because ANet hasn't released any information on how those will work in the long run (and how they will be re-shuffled for match ups).

For what I need to have fun, I am prepared for Alliances (based on the infos I have), because I am part of a large guild, where guildies know my style of play, and commanders trust my judgement and input.

alliances is going to flop hard if they let an entire server's active player base into single guilds.  a 500 person guild of active players wouldn't be an issue if it was 5+ years ago however WvW is such a dead game mode that amount of people is now the active player population of an entire server

Seeing how anet can't even fix 10 year netcode issues and needed to resort to lowering the cap on maps to "fix it" does anyone have any confidence they can do something as complex as proper match making and balancing of players working with constraints like keeping blob server guilds together?  this is a really hard problem to solve and working with that constraint makes it basically impossible to solve it

Edited by Towelie.9504
  • Like 1

Anyone that's already in a guild that plays WvW at all is already prepared to a certain degree, because they are already with who they want to play with and will continue to do so.

Server is pretty much irrelevant, to me at least. It seems to be mostly a toilet rest stop for bandwagons.  As a result I don't care about what they're doing. As long as my guild and its associates are okay, I could care less.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Haha 1