Gifts for the poor little Orphans ?

Naxos.2503

On 12/14/2022 at 10:12 AM, Naxos.2503 said:

Indeed the food items Can be crafted, by a level 400 chef, which older players will find trivial, but I think is needlessly skewed against anyone who doesn't craft, or even hasn't progressed That far into the game.

So that is why I am not able to craft things for the children... I only started playing this game 2 months ago and my cook is a very low level. Where is the content for us begginners? Throwing snowballs???

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/13/2022 at 3:39 PM, Ashen.2907 said:

More reasons to dislike EoD with each passing month. No more expansion purchases for me until they have been live for a few months.

You not buying the Expansion isn't going to keep them from screwing everyone or yourself over. At best, you just save a few bucks.

I have a feeling their staff are merely diversity hires and their decisions are not based on merit....

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Even if you can't craft food, buy the weapon skins from the nearby vendor and use those to make the gifts for the orphans.  You only need 1008 karma to make a gift, and it will give you 1500 karma in return, so even if you have very little karma, this will still build up more.

On 12/16/2022 at 1:03 PM, Linken.6345 said:

It is from previous years you could get socks, sweaters and hats.

Then they discontinued that and you could get holiday food instead that was dicontinued earlier this year.

Another item from the pass.  Page needs update.

Right!  they keep removing useful/good stuff.  With the food gone they could have brought back the clothing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

Clearly they want us crafting wintersday food instead of getting it free 🤷‍♂️ Maybe to increase the value of some of the ingredients and maybe not. We can only assume what the long term goal is but unless they talk we are just shouting into the wind with complaints.

Its not that simple for what people will craft. The only way anyone will craft Wintersday food/utility like Fruit Cake is when its cheaper to craft and the required materials are equally easy to source. Otherwise, its far easier to make the recipe that you dont need to buy for the same utility effect.

They used to handle the value of these items by adding recipes and vendors that would put items in competition with other common items that had a pretty set value. Festival of the Four Winds is a simple example, but Many things have been added and used over the years. I think Anet may have tried with the research pages. It just IMO seems like they didnt have a good complrehension of how to impliment material and item sinks while also maintaining some form of price change limits by binding the value to another use item n game with a more or less static value or such high demand that its immune/resistant to market manipulations. Anet seems to only do 5 minute solutions. I think they give about 5 minutes brainstorming and make a decision they figure out the simpest(man hours wise) way to do that thing and never look back. Be it Econ, Festivals, or Balance. If its not in the gemshop it doesnt get any real attention.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 6:54 AM, Super Hayes.6890 said:

Clearly they want us crafting wintersday food instead of getting it free 🤷‍♂️ Maybe to increase the value of some of the ingredients and maybe not. We can only assume what the long term goal is but unless they talk we are just shouting into the wind with complaints.

right but I think people will go to other cheap/free alternatives mostly vs crafting. I use fruitcake and icicles now cause I have them and they are top tier quality. However, I can get many almost as good utilty consumables for very cheap or even for currency that has no other use or things like Skermish chests which I get too many of in wvw already. I duno just seems like I would probably be inclined to use the tier 2 or 3 consumables 99% of the time vs buying the tier 1 quality consumable or taking time to craft them. I might keep a few for serious raids, but on pug runs and in OW I wouldnt ever waste silver actually buying any of that stuff. I use the holiday ones or I would go without.

It would have been wiser to add a new Wintersday Vendor to accept the consumables and give people a thing back that is account bound or that has a static vendor price value that will force the consumable value to become the # they want it to be for the research page salvage which would maintain the value of the Winterday boxes without having removed the food. They took the lazy cheap quick route.

In other words, they could have just made a sink that would set values for them at what ever price the deem to be best. Alternatively they coulda just removed them from the salvage list or made new recipes that somehow take the food as components (maybe mystic forge rng for a new account bound box w a few skins). So many things they could have done that they have done in the past that work.

Edited by Moradorin.6217