What's the point of playing Bladesworn other than the theme?

Zekent.3652

20 minutes ago, Zizekent.2398 said:

At least we're not Guardians, Renewal Focus is just their BiS elite in most of competitive content, and yeah, headbutt in WvW has an insane synergy with Lesser EP, but it's soooooooo telegraphed and easy to rupt, and getting rupt on it makes your skill CD to full CD💀

I used to love using Signet of Courage on my DH. I would F2 -> hop to a bunch of low HP teammates -> about Face ->F3 ->SoC and turn the tide of a fight completely. "FMW!" though is /meh but I can see it working as part of a team comp.

Headbutt getting rupted? Use it after you get rupted! 18s stunbreak alone makes it good. That and if you take Brave Stride then you most likely won't have it get rupted in the first place (most likely, because of that pesky 10s CD and boon corruption from necros).

4 hours ago, eXruina.4956 said:

@CalmTheStorm.2364  to get to that measly 10k damage you have to, accumulate adrenaline, have 25 might, sit there for a full charge taking hits, praying not to get interrupted or immobilized out of your dragon slash, or pray you don't outright get killed.

and if you hit into protection, weakness, armor *shrugs.

meanwhile whats 10k or more damage for another class, almost instant, no telegraphs, no windup, at 1.2k or more range. safe for the most part with little to no risk and with minimal commitment.

Yeah, I was agreeing with you. That's why I said that BS only does "normal" damage in PvP (i.e., comparable to what other professions can do) and that this level of damage doesn't justify the hoops BS needs to jump through.

But if it did MORE damage, like 15-20k for a fully charged DS Force, you'd be one-shotting people and it would be toxic.

There is a middle ground to be found, though, and it comes from buffing DT damage but especially the damage done at minimal charges.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Yeah, I was agreeing with you. That's why I said that BS only does "normal" damage in PvP (i.e., comparable to what other professions can do) and that this level of damage doesn't justify the hoops BS needs to jump through.

But if it did MORE damage, like 15-20k for a fully charged DS Force, you'd be one-shotting people and it would be toxic.

There is a middle ground to be found, though, and it comes from buffing DT damage but especially the damage done at minimal charges.

FWIW, it should do more over in WvW. WvW requires a lot more mobility and defenses are higher in that side of the house, so the risks are higher without an equivalently higher payoff.

Unyielding Dragon does hold back Dragon Slash. It being Unblockable and Unblindable hampers what DS can be allowed to do in competitive. With the extra resistance we've been getting lately it may be appropriate for UD to lose the blind immunity. I think the unblockable should stay however. They could also give back the might stack they took away. That would be a way to shore it up in PvP without become unbearable. Meanwhile over in WvW they could also raise the coefficients some.

IMO for WvW:

Force:
0 Charges 1.0
Max Charges: 3.0

Boost:
0 Charges: 0.8
Max Charges: 1.6

Reach:
0 Charges:  0.6
Max Charges: 1.0

It's a self root that I have to spend a double resource on, it should hit hard no matter what trait is taken. Should it do those numbers in PvP? Maybe? Maybe not. It is a self root with a double resource requirement that no longer has the sustain or stab uptime to full charge as often as it did so maybe that increased damage is warranted in PvP as well.

1 hour ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

FWIW, it should do more over in WvW. WvW requires a lot more mobility and defenses are higher in that side of the house, so the risks are higher without an equivalently higher payoff.

Unyielding Dragon does hold back Dragon Slash. It being Unblockable and Unblindable hampers what DS can be allowed to do in competitive. With the extra resistance we've been getting lately it may be appropriate for UD to lose the blind immunity. I think the unblockable should stay however. They could also give back the might stack they took away. That would be a way to shore it up in PvP without become unbearable. Meanwhile over in WvW they could also raise the coefficients some.

IMO for WvW:

Force:
0 Charges 1.0

Boost:

Reach:

It's a self root that I have to spend a double resource on, it should hit hard no matter what trait is taken. Should it do those numbers in PvP? Maybe? Maybe not. It is a self root with a double resource requirement that no longer has the sustain or stab uptime to full charge as often as it did so maybe that increased damage is warranted in PvP as well.

UD should definitely NOT lose blind immunity unless it is given back somewhere else. Otherwise, you're forced to take Defense AND Resilient Roll AND dodge every time before going into DT (effectively making dodge a third resource for DT and increasing the telegraph of the setup). BS needs fewer hoops to jump through, not more.

Dragonscale Defense should give resistance instead of prot/stab/whatever so that blind immunity would be effectively baseline.  THEN you could remove the blind immunity part from UD.

Also, BS's dmg coefficients need to be buffed in all competitive modes so that it doesn't depend on high might to do damage. Then you could justify removing the might stacking component from UD (although I think it would be fine to keep it, too, since it is now a lot less viable to run FGJ).

On 12/18/2022 at 11:00 AM, Dadnir.5038 said:

Even if it's difficult to understand there are some people that do like Bladesworn gameplay. The spec exist for their enjoyment, let's just respect this much 🙂

Respectable and edited, now we can keep talking about the main topic👍

9 minutes ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

UD should definitely NOT lose blind immunity unless it is given back somewhere else. Otherwise, you're forced to take Defense AND Resilient Roll AND dodge every time before going into DT (effectively making dodge a third resource for DT and increasing the telegraph of the setup). BS needs fewer hoops to jump through, not more.

And yet UD holds it back though doesn't it? We can't have a 15k-20k DS if it can't be blocked or blinded. The PvP forums would explode over that and we'd see Berserker's Power get nerfed or something stupid like that.

Dragonscale Defense should give resistance instead of prot/stab/whatever so that blind immunity would be effectively baseline.  THEN you could remove the blind immunity part from UD.

That is also an option, but then what other problems does that create for ID and DD? Relying on Defense for the resistance forces concessions in the build. FWIW, every class should have to be making choices like that even though it feels like some don't. If Cal did let that sort of change through, then sure, you better bet my shiny chainmail bikini* that I would run it.

*(Yes, I am in fact still wearing it)

Also, BS's dmg coefficients need to be buffed in all competitive modes so that it doesn't depend on high might to do damage. Then you could justify removing the might stacking component from UD (although I think it would be fine to keep it, too, since it is now a lot less viable to run FGJ).

I agree 100%, but I feel it needs more damage in WvW than it does in PvP. PvP you have the saving grace that there is a point to defend/assault in Conquest or a smaller 2v2 arena for the most part whereas WvW features fights over a much broader area. Sitting still for 2.5s to charge an ultimate melee range attack doesn't work in Zerg fights.

If you noticed my recommended coefficients were higher than yours, but for WvW. TBH I think a 3.0 max coefficient on DS-Force is wholly justified even in PvP as it is still a 2.5s self-root. I can see the PvP forum QQing over it though, because how dare a 2.5s highly telegraphed self-root also have a high payoff right?

41 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

And yet UD holds it back though doesn't it? We can't have a 15k-20k DS if it can't be blocked or blinded. The PvP forums would explode over that and we'd see Berserker's Power get nerfed or something stupid like that.

I think we're missing each other here...I actually don't think DS (or any skill) should be hitting for 15-20k; that's one-shotting people and is totally unfun to play against.  I think it would be good for DS to reliably hit ~10k if fully charged (and not needing to be might-capped to do so), and it would probably be fine for it to hit in 15k range on some sort of meme build akin to a glass Strength/Arms/berserker build (with all of the inherent frailties).  What I'm really asking for is for the min damage to be more significant so that it's viable to use mostly low-charge attacks to minimize the penalty of the self-root.

45 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

That is also an option, but then what other problems does that create for ID and DD? Relying on Defense for the resistance forces concessions in the build. FWIW, every class should have to be making choices like that even though it feels like some don't. If Cal did let that sort of change through, then sure, you better bet my shiny chainmail bikini* that I would run it.

I don't think it creates any problems for ID or DD---unless actually being viable is a problem.  

I hear what you're saying about tradeoffs, but BS already has to make too many tradeoffs.  They are already asking it to stand still for 2.5s in a warzone without stability to execute it's main mechanic (which now goes on an 8s CD if interrupted instead of a normal 4s CD thanks to their bug "fix").  It absolutely does NOT need to be further pigeon-holed into running one trait line and one particular trait to have a chance of being viable.  That would be extremely poor design.

Look at Spellbreaker.  It has multiple ways to address its need for resistance: it can run Resilient Roll, Revenge Counter, or Featherfoot Grace (or some combination of them) depending on the build/demands of the encounter.  This provides build diversity, which is a very good thing.  Demanding that BS rely only Resilient Roll to make its extremely clunky mechanic function would absolutely destroy the spec in competitive.  On the other hand, providing some resistance baseline opens the doors for a variety of build opportunities which would breathe new life into the spec.

55 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

If you noticed my recommended coefficients were higher than yours, but for WvW. TBH I think a 3.0 max coefficient on DS-Force is wholly justified even in PvP as it is still a 2.5s self-root. I can see the PvP forum QQing over it though, because how dare a 2.5s highly telegraphed self-root also have a high payoff right?

Actually, your coeffs are lower for everything but DS Force and the min DS Boost.  

DS-Force: 1.0-2.0

DS-Boost: 0.75-1.75

DS-Reach: 0.6-1.6

vs

Force:
0 Charges 1.0

Boost:

Reach:

I also don't disagree that WvW needs higher damage.  I have no problem with WvW and PvP having different splits.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

yeah, by design it looks impossible to balance in pvp. it needs an alternate playstyle something feasible that doesn't revolve around dragon slash. 🤔

thing is, dragon trigger works terribly with warrior's burst dependent kit. you got an easily interruptible burst skill with an 8 second cd that you need to build adrenaline to use, need to fully charge, and actually land the hit. so many hoops. 🤣

and every other warrior specs already struggles with just landing a hit. 🤣

so you're locked into strength and tactics for might/shout heal.  for reliable sustain.

and one of the many reasons discipline-less builds never took off is because of warrior's reliance on warrior's sprint. i coudl argue warrior is worse without warrior's sprint than without fast hands.

try fighting an immob condi druid without warrior's sprint to get the full experience. 🤣

• Sad 1

I disagree it is impossible to balance in PVP.
DT has a huge tell already, a set up required (flow), delayed damage (i.e. you can dodge or jump : unblockable doesn't mean undodgable), and a self root. It should do damage on par with whirling defense for the melee version and Gunflame/Kill Shot/Volley levels for the ranged version.

edit: More specifically I don't see why Dragon Slash Force cannot be a 2.0 coefficient or more when at max charge. Arc Divider hits for 0.704 per radius.

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Thanks 2

Just now, eXruina.4956 said:

yeah, by design it looks impossible to balance in pvp. it needs an alternate playstyle something feasible that doesn't revolve around dragon slash. 🤔

thing is, dragon trigger works terribly with warrior's burst dependent kit. you got an easily interruptible burst skill with an 8 second cd that you need to build adrenaline to use, need to fully charge, and actually land the hit. so many hoops. 🤣

and every other warrior specs already struggles with just landing a hit. 🤣

so you're locked into strength and tactics for might/shout heal.  for reliable sustain.

and one of the many reasons discipline-less builds never took off is because of warrior's reliance on warrior's sprint. i coudl argue warrior is worse without warrior's sprint than without fast hands.

try fighting an immob condi druid without warrior's sprint to get the full experience. 🤣

I 100% agree with everything you said.

BS wasn't designed for PvP, and the struggles we're seeing are essentially trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.  A bunch of bugs and overall clunky implementation doesn't help.

Also true that BS struggles to maximize the benefit of traits like Berserker's Power, AH, or cleansing Ire because of the difficulty of getting maximum charge bursts and only having 1 burst on an 8s CD.

And yes, Warrior Sprint is the true star of discipline.  That's why I've been advocating for more immob removal (e.g., on breakstep) and reworking Dogged March to put resistance on movement skill use (or providing other sources of on-demand resistance) to provide alternatives.  We will be forever locked into Discipline until that happens, even if FH were made baseline.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

I don't think it creates any problems for ID or DD---unless actually being viable is a problem. 

I hear what you're saying about tradeoffs, but BS already has to make too many tradeoffs.  They are already asking it to stand still for 2.5s in a warzone without stability to execute it's main mechanic (which now goes on an 8s CD if interrupted instead of a normal 4s CD thanks to their bug "fix").  It absolutely does NOT need to be further pigeon-holed into running one trait line and one particular trait to have a chance of being viable.  That would be extremely poor design.

Look at Spellbreaker.  It has multiple ways to address its need for resistance: it can run Resilient Roll, Revenge Counter, or Featherfoot Grace (or some combination of them) depending on the build/demands of the encounter.  This provides build diversity, which is a very good thing.  Demanding that BS rely only Resilient Roll to make its extremely clunky mechanic function would absolutely destroy the spec in competitive.  On the other hand, providing some resistance baseline opens the doors for a variety of build opportunities which would breathe new life into the spec.

ID would provide more guaranteed healing, DD would be garuanteed back-to-back bursts for burst related traits. Having that wholly within BSW is a different balance issue than having to take Defense to do so. For Spell Breaker that relies on hitting with FC to do this. I hear you on build diversity, but I'm suggesting a bit of caution on the resistance.

Actually, your coeffs are lower for everything but DS Force and the min DS Boost.  

Okay, you got me on the Boost and Reach maximums. I'll take those good sir.

vs

I also don't disagree that WvW needs higher damage.  I have no problem with WvW and PvP having different splits.

Now if only that were the case with more skills...

Let me expand more on my reservations on that resistance gain.

We all agree that we are too reliant on bursts correct? We have so many traits and sustain tied to hitting with our burst attacks that them connecting is pretty much mandatory for winning an engagement.

So, we all look for ways to make them easier to connect with, more CC, more resistance, more unblockables, more condition cleansing, more stability, etc. all so that we can make that one highly valued skill hit or to reward it.

Isn't it then that there is not enough value on the weapon skills themselves relative to the bursts? We've joked that BSW took all of core's problems and made them 'features' and one of those is the reliance on the one highly valued skill, the burst. Wouldn't it be better for BSW and warrior in general to shift the balance direction from securing and rewarding that one highly valued skill and onto having better quality and more versatile weapon skills?

• Thanks 1

warrior's design and balance over the years has revolved around maintaining and developing its flaws.

while other classes had their playstyles improved and got new things introducex to their kits. warrior was balanced and designed into the opposite direction and had its strengths muted.

and as lan said, they went so far as to turn these flaws into class features in bladesworn.

feels like they're making a statement at this point.

they could've went any which way its a blank canvas, yet here we are 1 core and 3 melee dps elite specs later.

Edited by eXruina.4956
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Isn't it then that there is not enough value on the weapon skills themselves relative to the bursts?

yeah they took the value out of our weapon skills with nerf, after nerf, after nerf, many of which were unwarranted.

and feb 2020, seriously God kitten that patch.

still, 0 kittens given 3 years later. and fyi the problems they supposedly tried to address with that patch. STILL EXIST!

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, eXruina.4956 said:

yeah they took the value out of our weapon skills with nerf, after nerf, after nerf, many of which were unwarranted.

Like the recent Axe 5 nerf in WvW.

and feb 2020, seriously God kitten that patch.

Only patch worse was the empty banner bundles.

still, 0 kittens given 3 years later. and fyi the problems they supposedly tried to address with that patch. STILL EXIST!

The main reason why that patch was so awful was that it was half done, and the other half never got touched. They used Warrior as the example of what was the intent, wrecked it proper, then ran out of time to do the same to the other classes. You can see the vestiges of that still in how some defenses weren't touched, like the Shroud damage reduction (Aside: I had immense fun diving in and out of a Maguuma zerg in RBL last night on my Reaper. I tagged so many of you. Thanks for the target rich environment and the free bags, that Shroud DR is why I could do that so often).

• Thanks 1

It's funny how having options is such a pain point for people, even if they don't understand why the option exists. Seems more like a thinly veiled attempt to pretend reasons to use BsW are elusive as a justification pf some weird improvement to it. For certain thought, it's not a requirement that people understand it for it to exist and others to enjoy its use. 

Spb is better for you? OK, play it. That doesn't imply BsW is bad somehow or needs to be better though. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Like the recent Axe 5 nerf in WvW.

another viable option turned to fluff, added to all the other viable options turned to fluff. it wasn't even a first option but it was usable, now its melee channeling fluff.

Only patch worse was the empty banner bundles.

yeah i'd have to agree that one is in contention, professionally i just can't see how something like that was ever shipped out. shipping out no changes was better than that.

still, i would argue the lasting effects of feb 2020 is way, way worse, and is plaguing warrior to this moment.

The main reason why that patch was so awful was that it was half done, and the other half never got touched. They used Warrior as the example of what was the intent, wrecked it proper, then ran out of time to do the same to the other classes. You can see the vestiges of that still in how some defenses weren't touched, like the Shroud damage reduction.

thats the point, they had 3 years to follow through or fix that f*ck up. but left warrior in a rotting game state for nearly 3 years and is arguably still the case.

worst still the problems they were supposed to address still persisted, none of that has really changed,

where's the interaction and counterplay,

near instantaneous and low effort burst from range, from stealth or long teleport distances still exists. no telegraphs everything front loaded with room for defensive skills or guaranteed initiative to start the fight.

cc focus into condi burst still exists even after they gutted power damage to cc.

the list goes on.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Reaper.

i love necro, ranger and necro.

i really wish they have a class change feature in this game.

warrior's a lost cause i don't see them fixing it even given the next decade, chances are they'll only make it worse based on their track record.

6 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Aside: I had immense fun diving in and out of a Maguuma zerg in RBL last night on my Reaper. I tagged so many of you. Thanks for the target rich environment and the free bags, that Shroud DR is why I could do that so often.

bags off mag are truly just more satisfying given the odds.👌

the most elating is when you succeed in getting iso and picking them off or winning your outnumbered. its just twice to thrice more rewarding. 💪 specially playing as a warrior 🤣

i have high hopes for alliances, i hope they randomly shuffle guilds weekly. monopoly has always been a bane of wvw. 🤔

Edited by eXruina.4956
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, eXruina.4956 said:

i love necro, ranger and necro.

i really wish they have a class change feature in this game.

warrior's a lost cause i don't see them fixing it even given the next decade, chances are they'll only make it worse based on their track record.

bags off mag are truly just more satisfying given the odds.👌

the most elating is when you succeed in getting iso and picking them off or winning your outnumbered. its just twice to thrice more rewarding. 💪 specially playing as a warrior 🤣

i have high hopes for alliances, i hope they randomly shuffle guilds weekly. monopoly has always been a bane of wvw. 🤔

It just amazing me the crazy kitten I can pull off when I swap off of warrior...

• Haha 1

Am I the only one who likes the 5-second stuns on a 10 second cooldown?  When I'm using this in the overworld, any enemy group that isn't killed immediately is put out of action for about 10 seconds (Dragonspike Mine).  Though when it comes to preference in play, I always preferred having a few big hits to a bunch of moderate ones.  Instead of needing constant engagement, I can pick and choose my bursts for maximum effect.  

Spellbreaker is fine, but the biggest complaint I have with it is boon management.  There's many skills that do more damage if they remove boons, and the burst does more damage to enemies with no boons.  This makes many fights from POF onward a guessing game, since I have to very precisely time the boon removing and boon-absent abilities, lest my other teammates automatically strip the boons away or the enemy randomly gets them back.  I also don't like how to reach the bechmark you need to weapon swap into something completely different.  I've more of  fan of specs that camp one weapon, so the other weapon can be reserved for utility or utility or ranged damage.  To wit, I'm not going to wear a greatsword while on spellbreaker.  That slot is reserved for mace + shield or hammer for CC and defensive skills.  

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

Am I the only one who likes the 5-second stuns on a 10 second cooldown?  When I'm using this in the overworld, any enemy group that isn't killed immediately is put out of action for about 10 seconds (Dragonspike Mine).  Though when it comes to preference in play, I always preferred having a few big hits to a bunch of moderate ones.  Instead of needing constant engagement, I can pick and choose my bursts for maximum effect.  

Spellbreaker is fine, but the biggest complaint I have with it is boon management.  There's many skills that do more damage if they remove boons, and the burst does more damage to enemies with no boons.  This makes many fights from POF onward a guessing game, since I have to very precisely time the boon removing and boon-absent abilities, lest my other teammates automatically strip the boons away or the enemy randomly gets them back.  I also don't like how to reach the bechmark you need to weapon swap into something completely different.  I've more of  fan of specs that camp one weapon, so the other weapon can be reserved for utility or utility or ranged damage.  To wit, I'm not going to wear a greatsword while on spellbreaker.  That slot is reserved for mace + shield or hammer for CC and defensive skills.  

No, the stun is fine it is just that you want to save the Dragon Slash for after the breakbar is broken, not for breaking the breakbar. you're forced into having DS mine to use it back-to-back, just as you are forced into Cartridges to maximize damage and Flow Stabilizer to build flow. There is no diversity for that spec, all the ways that Anet has been trying to shore it up has been to overload a few skills/traits to the point where they are the only viable thing to run.

Re: Spellbreaker. That is an issue. Foes in PvE tend to not have boons, but effects that you can't strip, and if they do have boons you have to contend with the other players in removing them. That said, from my experience running through metas most pve players don't sweat the boons, so I've been able to pop 40k break enchantments, usually wiping the mobs in the process, and mopping up with my F1s. Spellbreaker would go a lot further if some of those effects could be removed like boons.

No, the stun is fine it is just that you want to save the Dragon Slash for after the breakbar is broken, not for breaking the breakbar. you're forced into having DS mine to use it back-to-back, just as you are forced into Cartridges to maximize damage and Flow Stabilizer to build flow. There is no diversity for that spec, all the ways that Anet has been trying to shore it up has been to overload a few skills/traits to the point where they are the only viable thing to run.

Re: Spellbreaker. That is an issue. Foes in PvE tend to not have boons, but effects that you can't strip, and if they do have boons you have to contend with the other players in removing them. That said, from my experience running through metas most pve players don't sweat the boons, so I've been able to pop 40k break enchantments, usually wiping the mobs in the process, and mopping up with my F1s. Spellbreaker would go a lot further if some of those effects could be removed like boons.

Spellbreaker is great in fractals except when it is flux bomb day. NPNG day and Vengeance are more than fine and on last laugh day full counter stuns all the exploding mobs. The benchmarks are done without boons on the target anyway.