defense spellbreaker overperforming unacceptably

Eddie.9143

6 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

You know Anet, they'll just put an icon on the buff bar or a small flash of white light on the character's hand that only they can really see and call it a day.

Do you recall all mantras? That times you could always see what mesmer is preparing to cast. And what now?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

It would actually be nice for all unblockables to have some sort of particles or extra animation to warn you of what is coming. Half the time I eat something unblockable I didn't even register what it was. And you can say what you want about the 2 dagger leaps almost sharing an animation, but that animation is at least very visible. Your main problem is really that one is unblockable so its harder to face tank...

Odd to see, but all guardian(except newest willbender), fighter and revenant animations are readable. Hunter is pretty readable. As well as Engi. And the least readable are light armor classes. Especially newest elite specs. And I do not know why Anet made this. So now you have to log into that class  char and look at those small, almost invisible animations.

Is this some kind of logic, that it's hard to read light armor classes?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

This is painful to read. Please promise me that you'll stop using this tactic and will instead begin practicing your class.

Was you ever attacked from invis by chrono? I was. Many times. 25k hp. By surprise. downed from 100 in 3 seconds. No chance. Don't make me like mesmers. My hatred is reasonable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

This is painful to read. Please promise me that you'll stop using this tactic and will instead begin practicing your class.

Nah. Theyll hunt full party, jump on corpse and come to whine for nerfs when a thief / mes gets them 1v1 and blows them up because they can only fight it full party. You know how it goes. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

3 seconds is a very long time

agreed, unfortunately... the ladies don't...badumtiss.....(incoming ban detected)

6 hours ago, Farseer.1349 said:

Was you ever attacked from invis by chrono? I was. Many times. 25k hp. By surprise. downed from 100 in 3 seconds. No chance. Don't make me like mesmers. My hatred is reasonable.

3 seconds is a very long time in video game combat, especially this game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Hederrain.9207 said:

Not true. No one would play staff with a PB and you simply wont get rupted with free stab on CC or a bit of LoS.

If you don't want to play staff PB, it's fine.

"Free stab on CC" Now there's a problem if as mesmer you can't prevent hammer's CC

And the video doesn't even counts the blinds.

Edited by Zizekent.2398
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Zizekent.2398 said:

If you don't want to play staff PB, it's fine.

"Free stab on CC" Now there's a problem if as mesmer you can't prevent hammer's CC

And the video doesn't even counts the blinds.

So are you talking about Condi Staff Virtuoso? With Power Block?

Edited by agrippastrilemma.8741
  • Confused 1

Average spellbreaker gameplay:

Invulnerable, 0 damage, Invulnerable, 0 damage, Invulnerable, 0 damage, Invulnerable, 0 damage, Invulnerable, 0 damage, Invulnerable, 0 damage, Invulnerable, 0 damage, Invulnerable, 0 damage, Invulnerable, 0 damage, Invulnerable, 0 damage, Invulnerable, 0 damage, Invulnerable, 0 damage, Invulnerable, 0 damage, Invulnerable, 0 damage, Invulnerable, 0 damage.

Then there is the second part:

CC > DMG > CC > DMG > CC > DMG > CC > DMG > CC > DMG

And repeat. 

Edited by Peter.3901
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Peter.3901 said:

Average spellbreaker gameplay:

Invulnerable, 0 damage, Invulnerable, 0 damage, Invulnerable, 0 damage, Invulnerable

It has no invuln?

0 dmg is from endure pain, you can get it with elite signet and defense GM trait (4 sec for 40 sec cd and this means your stab comes from FC only) and endure pain utility (4 sec on 40 sec CD). It prevents strike dmg only.

What you probably mean is, evade, 0 dmg, evade, evade, evade, block, block, block, evade, evade, 0 dmg... etc..

Though I'm not sure how often endure pain is ran atm, maybe half of spbs I fight in conquest run it. And almost none run the defense GM trait for endure pain on elite use (since that only makes sense with the elite signet which is pretty meh). Shield is also not as dominant as it used to be, though I do see it more often than not.

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

On 12/20/2022 at 5:54 PM, Eddie.9143 said:

basically 350hp per second, untouchable, 15 sec huge heal with 5 condi removal, mobility, and tons of CC, a chain long enough to 100-0

needs nerfing asap, been playing 10  years this is the most OP kitten i've seen so far. it has everything..

This is by far not the strongest thing ever seen in any meta (scourge/firebrand). Also Mending is 20 sec cd not 15. Really a slight damage shave should come off of the hammer trait and that's it. And hammer is super telegraphed. Meanwhile Engi nades are flung like beads at Mardi Gras and shred a players health like its nothing. Defense is mostly fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

On 12/22/2022 at 4:55 AM, Sahne.6950 said:

i always did sympathize with those poor warriormains that stuck with their profession for years even tho it was garbage... 

what i dont like is, that the same people that were speaking alot of sense back then.. are now the ones that are heavily biased when it comes to anything warrior related.... 

And that isnt a L2P thing either.  Im sorry warriormains... but this needs a nerf.

*Quietly* I hate it here.

This is about Defense Spellbreaker. I don't care about the condibreaker thing, that's obviously not intended to be as effective as it is and I have the same opinion about it as I do anything else that has a game flow of "set up shop on node - > dont move."

I'm absolutely biased, but it's because of that first part and having difficult to unwinnable matchups vs the majority of classes that have multiple avenues to reset a fight or stack mitigation with no prep time. 

If a warrior steps off of defense line, vs a ranger? Light work, you have to get through strength of the pack, their block and lightning reflexes and predict their smokescale while they harass you from 1500 range before you even think about damage.

Vs a scepter ele or bunker weaver with focus? light work.  Holo? easy lose if they know to keep their distance, esp if they run nades. Condi mirage/virt? untouchable. Thief? designed to counter you. Necro? GL critting, they breathe weakness. Power Herald/Vindi? Light work. Guard? same thing.

But bonk a couple people on the head with some cc so their buttons that have been working for 4+years stop working (even though a sensible player will stay away from hammer), and they're immediately on the forums looking to get it culled even though they only need to dodge two skills critically and the core problems with warrior largely remain. It feels silly to entertain. 

People talk about "19k hp, heavy armor" like there arent like 5 classes that can look at you and do -well above- 19k damage to a heavy armor class within 3 seconds starting from across the map. 

The way it stands now, warrior on defense line is (rightly so) being rewarded for getting close to and remaining close to their opponent, which is difficult to do vs players that know how to kite and control space. They don't have a trillion blocks or invulns or ports or stealth to get into that position, especially running hammer, so rewarding them when they manage to do that is prudent.

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

But bonk a couple people on the head with some cc so their buttons that have been working for 4+years stop working (even though a sensible player will stay away from hammer), and they're immediately on the forums looking to get it culled even though they only need to dodge two skills critically and the core problems with warrior largely remain. It feels silly to entertain. 

The problem is not "dodging two skills". The problem is need to dodge two skills and all the setup skills that may lead to that. But I can't touch a warrior back because with full counter there's just no opening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

39 minutes ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

The problem is not "dodging two skills". The problem is need to dodge two skills and all the setup skills that may lead to that. But I can't touch a warrior back because with full counter there's just no opening.

It's so hard to wrap my head around this. Even leaving aside that you -don't- need to dodge everything as long as you have a stunbreak to get you out of the way of fierce blow/arcing slice if they run GS, why is the bold notably difficult compared to dodging skills that just throw raw damage at you? all those setup skills do 5 damage on crit.

Also full counter isn't permanently up. 

If this is a problem particular to power mes that isn't virt, I get it, but like... When I play power berserker my matchup strategy vs condi (insert mesmer spec here) is to not fight it.  Same for bunker ele. There can be matches your spec just -isnt- good for. Mesmers tell me that very often when I ask them "how do I approach fighting this build on berserker?" during sparring. I don't think warrior needs to be the arbiter of "you can fight this build on everything if you strategize" if nobody else is wearing that mantle. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

On what build? Even me on old spb build can keep a node for some time until I mess up, gets stunlocked and die. And that is against competent players.

• Confused 2

Tools holo, nade holo, deadeye, untamed, soulbeast, daredevil, can all very effectively plus a defense spellbreaker and secure the kill through consistent ranged damage or ports and high burst. If the meta adjusts to run more high pressure roamers, you’ll see the way to deal with defense spellbreaker. Also, a strong condi duelist will be capable of taking the stalwart strength variant, while the longbow cleansing ire variant can easily be cc chained and has no disengage. 

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 3