AFK reporting

Why is there still no option to report AFK players. I'm not talking about those people who are botting to just kill minions, I'm talking about people who join maps, metas and instances, and then just stand around doing nothing.

They increase the difficulty for the people actually doing the event, either by effecting scaling or by taking the place of someone who would actually do the event.

This really only came to the front of my mind in the Celestial Challenge. I wanted to get all the different events done for the achievement so I did about 5 in a row, and when I joined the instance I noticed someone just standing next to the chest spawn area. The only time they moved was to open the chests. They just sat there and let everyone else do the work, but they were still rewarded, which just doesn't seem right to me.

• Like 2
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 3

People can afk all the want in the open world. Hell, if you are in a map already, and some commander decides that map will be the map they want to do the meta in. You have all the right to stay in that map and not even bother with the event even if you are in the same area. There is no rule that says you have to participate in it since it is open world.

Now if you are talking actual instanced content. That is different, but most people would just kick you out and reform if that was the case.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Being afk in open world is allowed. Things may happen irl and they go away from the game since it’s not as important. It is a game for fun afterall. It can be the doorbell, phone call, family things needing attention. Playing a game is not a priority for most gamers and it shouldn’t be. 

If they leech the celestial challenge, perhaps anet could add an afk timer like they do for PvP.  However in open world like tequatl, it should be accepted to afk since it doesn’t affect people in the same way as in an instance. Sure there may be people wanting to join the map, but this is how it is in every meta event. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I agree with the people saying going AFK in open world maps is allowed, as long as you're not botting. In instances it will mainly lead to being kicked.

In instances where the other players can't kick someone for being AFK I think it would be better to change how the events work so it's not worth AFK farming. For the Celestial Challenge that could mean adding minimum participation requirements to each round - if you don't collect 1 mote or go through 1 gate or do X damage or whatever you don't get credit for that round and won't be able to open the chest.

It might need to be more than 1, I'm sure Anet can work out appropriate numbers, but the point is they'd have to actually play at least a little bit to progress instead of just being in the instance.

5 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

Being afk in open world is allowed. Things may happen irl and they go away from the game since it’s not as important. It is a game for fun afterall. It can be the doorbell, phone call, family things needing attention. Playing a game is not a priority for most gamers and it shouldn’t be. 

That's me. I'll often be playing and then something else happens and I think it's just going to be a few seconds so I don't log out and end up coming back several minutes later to find I'm still logged in. Or hear my husband saying "do you know your game is still running? You're being attacked by a [whatever]" (Answers to that range from "Oh kitten, can you close it?" to Oops...am I dying?" or "Can you press 6, I'll be there in a second")

• Like 6