Why is Anet incapable of hotfixing pvp? You don't have to wait and do everything in one big patch

Eddie.9143

Their entire balance team is ele mains and they don't care. They abandoned pvp years ago. They'd rather we just play League of Legends if we want a PvP experience. No, but really, it was apparent on Nov 30th that this scepter buff was unacceptable and they haven't done anything for MONTHS. Gw2 is abandonware.

They care more about banning minis from WvW than the entire PvP mode being broken by horrific balance for months at a time.

Edited by gkoogz.3089
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, Eddie.9143 said:

Make frequent, small changes, instead of doing massive balance patches that take you 3 months to figure out were poorly designed or bad choices.

I don't see how it's so hard to change things little by little and get to a comfortable spot..

I think they need both big patches with frequent tweaks in-between.

Big patches because there is so much in this game (weapons, skills, even entire trait lines) that is just dysfunctional. Big changes like reworking Warrior's defense line provide lots of value and breathe life into a profession.

Small changes because, as we can see with Cata/scepter and Spellbreaker overperforming, sometimes big sweeping changes have unintended consequences. Those balance issues should be hotfixed--even if they are temporary, "band-aid" fixes until a more in-depth patch can address the underlying issues.  For instance, they could have dropped a hotfix that increased Full Counter's CD by 2s, reduced Dragon Tooth's power coeff to 1.0, and put a 5s CD on staunch auras. Would those changes be good in the long run? Maybe, maybe not. But you can keep tinkering with the numbers (or reverse the changes entirely) in the coming weeks while working on the next big patch.

Leaving glaring balance issues untouched for weeks, however, is not a good strategy, even with a big patch on the horizon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

i guess so, something like that

"we said we going to drop a meta chaging patch every 4 month, and that's what's going to happen no matter what, no more, no less"

if something is going to happen it's because the "pros" are telling them to do it in their discord, not because this hysteria on forums.

Like, streamers have been streaming a lot less in this meta, which is bad for them, like, Naru was streaming 4h daily, now you don't see him as much and when you do he's playing like 2 hours and half of it is wvw.

• Haha 2

On 1/31/2023 at 2:29 PM, gkoogz.3089 said:

Their entire balance team is ele mains and they don't care. They abandoned pvp years ago. They'd rather we just play League of Legends if we want a PvP experience. No, but really, it was apparent on Nov 30th that this scepter buff was unacceptable and they haven't done anything for MONTHS. Gw2 is abandonware.

They care more about banning minis from WvW than the entire PvP mode being broken by horrific balance for months at a time.

Employee turnover must be crazy at Anet, because their entire team were guardian mains not too long ago. 

• Haha 4

I would rather big patches since it takes a while for people to really find out if something is OP. I mean look at Catalyst, it's only really became the monster in the recent weeks. 

Maybe some people knew but it took a while to transition the larger PvP population. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

On 2/1/2023 at 4:14 PM, Mell.4873 said:

I would rather big patches since it takes a while for people to really find out if something is OP. I mean look at Catalyst, it's only really became the monster in the recent weeks. 

Maybe some people knew but it took a while to transition the larger PvP population. 

Hammer cata was the obvious best choice and pretty OP until the scepter buffs and everyone switched over in 3 days..

Balance updates are shipped overseas on hard drives from the balance dev beach commune in Bali. This takes a few months minimum, but in extreme emergencies, they *can* be flown out in days (this would be like .. something affecting PvE, not some silly PvP concern).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Just accept it, Anet will do nothing to get better in balance. Every year they talk about transparent communication, big bala patchen and frequent hotfix. Every year community is hyped and every year anet did not deliver. Instead we get unkillable omega dmg vindi for month, or broken willi and now it is FA cata. After patch it will be the next broken spec for the next month ... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stand The Wall.6987 said:

infrequent balance patches is one of the biggest things holding back pvp and wvw, and it is also the easiest to fix.

a company letting their game die to pure laziness...they are paying someone to work on PvP and that person is laughing in their faces all the way to bank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2023 at 10:49 PM, Kuma.1503 said:

Employee turnover must be crazy at Anet, because their entire team were guardian mains not too long ago. 

Nah they relocated them to do what they were good at Instance encounters. Also it was guardian/Engi mains and they manage to kitten up the PVE balance too much and the PVE people Rioted. CMC and Roy seem to have gotten the PVE balance on a good level, WvW too seems to get overall better, but its probably because of the Macro level design on both. PVP on other hand is micro level with allot more variety and PVP tends to have way more weird interactions going on while the PVP players manage to Optimize the fun out of the game faster than the other two modes.
Also can anyone predict what will be the next Meta and build be like, when the current OP builds go out of fashion.
Personally I think CMC and Roy have been doing plenty of functionality changes that are good for all modes and from objective stand point there is no Reason to put that much effort into it since SPVP is not that big and it probably doesn't have that much development budget to go around but the patch changes are like 70% pvp related, some are hit or miss but it is way better than allot of the POF and HOT balancing. So they do care allot about it, but they don't have much dev time allocated for that even though most of the game is how the combat works which would bite Anet kitten again in long run, since the Dev hours are spent on Vapor Ware content production.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2023 at 6:24 AM, Eddie.9143 said:

Hammer cata was the obvious best choice and pretty OP until the scepter buffs and everyone switched over in 3 days..

It is but its very hard to counter play some elites. I mean I have seen this first hand while on my Untamed. Some Catalyst players do fine verse me but other fall over on their face since they have no idea when to projectile reflect or go immune. 

I saw a couple of people rate Catalyst after the update and they all said it is amazing but only if you know how to play it. Hence why it is stacked in monthly tournaments but is not as prevalent in Gold. 

Edited by Mell.4873