If Engi were to get a new core weapon, what would you want?

Calen.8945

If Engi were to get a new core weapon, what would you want?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. What new core weapon would you want?

• Greatsword
    • Staff
    • Axe
    • Dagger
    • Scepter
    • Forus
    • Torch
    • Warhorn
    • Longbow
    • Shortbow

I voted staff because Im a golemancer and every golemancer in game run staff. But I also want a long range weapon that its not mortar. (Rifle does not count cause all the kit is melee/mid range. And the only long range attack is rifle auto, but anet decide that our animation must suck, so we have a lame auto attack on rifle now.)

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

Voted staff, because bonking enemies with a magical-but-not-really weapon is fun and 5 new skills from 2h weapon is better than 3 new skills from 1h weapon (also rifle skills/aa are fine, nothing wrong with the animation either).

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

I would prefer torch, axe, warhorn, and focus. Honestly, I'm still surprised engineer doesn't even have the first two. How can an engineer not have torches? Think of blowtorches. Warhorn or focus could be cool as a power off-hand. Axe would also be great especially if it offered melee skills. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kuma.1503 said:

A staff wielding Technomancer is still my dream. 

I already see them adding a techno-mop as a staff, with some healing and a water field in the skill with the highest cooldown. But not sure how they'll name it. 🧹🧺

😁😁

Edited by Zoser.7245
  • Haha 6

I see everyone voting on staffs mostly but let me remind you guys that we are engineers, we don't use magic nor any weapon that requires magic for it to be used properly.

So the weapons such as Staffs, Specter, Warhorn, Focus are not an option cause it doesn't fit right into engineer theme of sci-fi/mechanic build.

• Greatsword: it's fine. There is a good possibility for it to be used with kinetic-booster energy.
  • Staff: NO, Required magic and if used in a engineering way then it will be like putting a 100V battery on a 2meter long stick, Thus. It can't be supportive either.
  • Axe: Can see the possibility, Big chance for it too be used as an Gun-Axe.
  • Dagger: Doesn't fit comfortably inside the theme but if used then there is a room for it to be used as a discharge bolt... like a stun daggers.
  • Scepter: NO, same as staff. Unless Anet makes it like a plasma whip with a short range of 600, Scepter not gonna pass engineer's theme test. plus, it's not fun with engineer theme.
  • Foci: NO, it's a magic weapon.
  • Torch: NO, it's a magic weapon and we already have flame thrower.
  • Warhorn: NO, it's not magic but it absolutly doesn't fit the engineer theme.
  • Longbow: Possibility, But we already have rifle so it's not needed.
  • Shortbow: Possibility if used has a Xbow.
So the possible Weapons are: Greatsword, Axe, Dagger, Shortbow.
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

On 3/14/2023 at 7:36 PM, Kuma.1503 said:

A staff wielding Technomancer is still my dream. 

On 3/14/2023 at 9:12 PM, Zoser.7245 said:

I already see them adding a techno-mop as a staff, with some healing and a water field in the skill with the highest cooldown. But not sure how they'll name it. 🧹🧺

Explain How this Necromancer 2.0 aka Technomancer works.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, August.5934 said:

let me remind you guys that we are engineers, we don't use magic nor any weapon that requires magic for it to be used properly.

Let me remind you: In Tyria, literally everyone uses magic. This does not exclude Warriors or Engineers.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, August.5934 said:

So the weapons such as Staffs, Specter, Warhorn, Focus are not an option cause it doesn't fit right into engineer theme of sci-fi/mechanic build.

So a kinetic GS or a Gun Axe is fine? Why would those weapons not work in a similar way? Both Staff and Scepter could work as lightning rods or simply stun batons. Warhorns relate to sound and soundwaves, think Dredge. And while it's not my favourite pick either, something similar could be cooked up about Fokus as well. In the end a Fokus is just a conduit of sorts.

That being said, I wanted MH Mace for core. That ship has sailed.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I see everyone voting on staffs mostly but let me remind you guys that we are engineers, we don't use magic nor any weapon that requires magic for it to be used properly.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ghost_Collector Don't cross the streams!

Seriously, just like there are a lot of gun skins that look more like their designed to channel elemental or other magical energies than firing bullets, there are a lot of staff skins that are pretty clearly technological in nature. Staff being used by engineer would be more something along the lines of a staff weapon from Stargate - basically, an alternative shape to a gun for an energy weapon. Sure, there'd be some skins that look a bit silly when used this way, but the same is true for a melee staff - and hey, who's to say that an engineer can't pack a lot of technology inside a staff that just happens to look like a caster implement?

5 minutes ago, Xaylin.1860 said:

So a kinetic GS or a Gun Axe is fine? Why would those weapons not work in a similar way?

Axe are already a weapon and putting a gun on it's held is more of engineering. Have you every seen a sci-fi character pull out a staff in mid fight? that would like going back to 6000VC from 2500 CE? like WTF 🤣. Imagin working on making a new car and all of a sudden your boss pull out a 5000 years old staff and starts to chant a spell to get new desings... I would be speachless.

And Staffs/specters is not ment to be with engi cause by default it doesn't fit it's theme. The only one thing staff can be used for engi is to fix her TV's antenna! similer can be said to warhorn, what you gonna do as an engi in mid-fight? instead of trying to contact & support your team you gonna blow motivational warhorn sound like a warrior in to buff them? NO! we legit go and fix the problem itself... 

Look at the elite spec's weapons and look how Anet made them, Sword works like a saber and puts you into holo mode. Hammer works like a big power damper field which works around magnetic fields, Throws a charged electric current on enemy. mace! The head of a mace is like a rocket that lunches and other 2 skills of it works like hammer! All the weapons engi has are all a practical physical weapons.

The staff has only 2 use in fight, Either chant spells or take it's mana crystal out and fight like a Monkey King and we already have daredevil doing that. Have you seen warrior use staff? NO, cause warrior is no magic expert but still uses atiny bit.

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Let me remind you: In Tyria, literally everyone uses magic. This does not exclude Warriors or Engineers.

Engineer, Man we are like one of those anime protagonist who is born with 0 magic but got genius mind to work with. So there you have it, No staffs & specters. Look at our kit itself... It's in our name "Engineer" a person that builds stuffs for his/her advantage. You can't just start making engi a magic user lol, it's a kick on engi's balls and faith. Anet surely would dare make engi a magic user all of a sudden like it doesn't make sense. Engi will remain non-magic user of Tyria. Thanks. 

• Confused 2

17 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Staff: NO, Required magic and if used in a engineering way then it will be like putting a 100V battery on a 2meter long stick, Thus. It can't be supportive either

Whoah! Look at that... a 100v battery on a 2m long stick that only does eletricial damage... Can't even call it a staff, Might as well make that a engineering kit and that is not a combat and honestly this looks really bad and not suited for engineer on a real combats. Looks like one of those stun stick protagonist uses in sci-fi movie to stun enemy for a short while then runs away to find better weapons to fight.

• Confused 2

21 minutes ago, August.5934 said:

Have you every seen a sci-fi character pull out a staff in mid fight?

https://stargate.fandom.com/wiki/Ma'Tok_staff

15 minutes ago, August.5934 said:

Whoah! Look at that... a 100v battery on a 2m long stick that only does eletricial damage... Can't even call it a staff, Might as well make that a engineering kit and that is not a combat and honestly this looks really bad and not suited for engineer on a real combats. Looks like one of those stun stick protagonist uses in sci-fi movie to stun enemy for a short while then runs away to find better weapons to fight.

Just as fitting, if not more, as taking a melee weapon and installing gadgets into it. Ultimately, anything engineer is likely to have is going to be loaded with gadgets. Staff already has an animation that involved pointing it at a target and having something coming out of the tip, basically like a handgun except with an alternative method of holding it. It's a pretty good choice for giving engineer what would essentially be a third kind of gun, similar to how the caster professions have received weapons that might normally be used more directly, but which in practice are basically just acting as an alternative form of caster implement after staff and sceptre were already taken.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, August.5934 said:

Even if that's what you think, staff doesn't need to be a magical weapon to still be a weapon. Which is basically what I wrote after voting for it: 

On 3/3/2023 at 12:33 AM, Sobx.1758 said:

Voted staff, because bonking enemies with a magical-but-not-really weapon is fun

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, August.5934 said:

• Foci: NO, it's a magic weapon.
  • Torch: NO, it's a magic weapon and we already have flame thrower.
  • Warhorn: NO, it's not magic but it absolutly doesn't fit the engineer theme.
So the possible Weapons are: Greatsword, Axe, Dagger, Shortbow.

Imagine thinking warhorns and torches have anything to do with magic. Anyone can blow into a horn or light a torch. Really? Sure, staff, scepter, and focus channel magic.But what would stop a random engineer elite spec that turns a scepter or staff into a command wand for their minion/golem?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, mirage.8046 said:

Anyone can blow into a horn or light a torch.

Oh dear... but yes. 😆

[Edit]: There actually is a pretty nice blowtorch skin. Just not a big fan of OH Torch for Engi because OH Pistol already kinda covers it.

Edited by Xaylin.1860

Golems are magic powered. Your complaints about staff, scepter, focus, ect are incredibly invalid, you lack any kind of vision / imagination. They could always go the offhand weapon route too.

Edited by Okhu.7948
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1