If Engi were to get a new core weapon, what would you want?

Calen.8945

If Engi were to get a new core weapon, what would you want?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. What new core weapon would you want?

• Greatsword
    • Staff
    • Axe
    • Dagger
    • Scepter
    • Forus
    • Torch
    • Warhorn
    • Longbow
    • Shortbow

I recently read a reddit post talking about if the future expansions no longer give elite specializations they may replace it with something like new core weapons. If you got to pick a new core weapon what you would pick for Engi.

For me, either axe or scepter. Core need a melee option.

Power axe would be the best thematic pick but too many professions are using it ; I am unsure what that bring over toolkit/bomb kit/grenades. That is why I am extremely glad Arenanet went with support-based mace for mechanist despite the mech itself being ill conceived.

I do not think scepter would be the pick since it is normally a magic weapon.

Numerically:

• Axe has use by four professions and 2 elite specs (6 total) and the same goes for dagger or greatsword. Any staff would likely be a melee power staff , it is currently used by 5 professions and 2 elite specs for a total of 7 of 9 classes.
  • Focus has 4 users, torch has 3 professions and 2 elite specs (5), warhorn has 3 professions plus one elite spec (4 total).
  • I do not see what longbow (2 classes and 1 elite spec = 3) or shortbow (2 classes and 1 elite spec = 3) would bring to engineer given the existence of rifle, mortar, and grenades.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

I do not think scepter would be the pick since it is normally a magic weapon.

I ran across a scepter skin that fits Engineer's theme, the Steam Scepter. I think it could work depending how the skills worked. But if Engi did get a scepter it should be a congi weapon, bro needs more congi options.

I guess the biggest "need" I see for a new core weapon would be a power damage focused offhand. That's because of the potential for weapon set combinations for elite specs.

Holosmith comes with a purely power based mainhand weapon, sword. Unfortunately, there is no power offhand weapon to pair it with. We just have the choice between either a condition damage focused weapon (pistol) or a pure utility weapon (shield). A new power offhand would allow us to go for an entirely power damage focused weapon set on holosmith.

The mechanist mace is not a pure power weapon, but funnily enough it is so versatile that it can be played as either power, condition or support. As mentioned, pistol and shield are already great pairs for it for condition or support builds, but a power variant of a mace build still lacks a power offhand to complement it.

The weapons we could potentially get added as a core offhand are:

• axe
  • dagger
  • sword
  • mace
  • focus
  • torch
  • warhorn

From these possible weapons, I would personally go for a torch. There are some nice and fitting torch skins for engineer and it would kinda be a novelty, because torches on all other classes are condition weapons. So this would add the first power focused torch in the game.

That has been the logical choice for me on what core weapon engineer would greatly benefit from.

Now let me talk about what would be my personal favourite concept if we put aside logic and need.
I would like to see a staff added to engineer with a chemical theme, using it as a censer to spread poisonous fumes and acids over a battlefield.

This weapon would have synergy with the alchemy trait line by having the elixir tag added to one of it's attacks. Bonus points if it also gives us back some much needed boon removal (I have still no idea why Anet removed boon removal from minefield, I hope it has been to create design space for a future elite spec focused on boon removal...).

• Like 4

I'd say Torch, it could be kinda thematic while used in pair with Pistol, and it can make melee Codi-Mechanist more interesting. The only problem is that since Torch is a Condi-Off-Hand weapon it won't add real variety to Core-Engi builds.

If not Torch, I think Core-Engi needs some melee Main-Hand options, so Axe or Dagger (I'd appreciate an Engineer with Incinerator equipped).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, MrForz.1953 said:

Hm. I'll settle with a swiss knife. Don't want to go overboard with asura wizardry nonsense.

Before the existence of mechanist's mace, I always thought our first support mainhand weapon should be dagger. Had made it a scalpel and let the engineer do operations on their allies. 😛

• Confused 2

47 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Before the existence of mechanist's mace, I always thought our first support mainhand weapon should be dagger. Had made it a scalpel and let the engineer do operations on their allies. 😛

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Cure

Would have been perfect.

Edit: And still would be used on hScrapper if it s a core addition even if it were the "power" based weapon.

Edited by Jerus.4350
  • Like 1