Block block invu block invu invu invu block dodge block

whooot.5784

I was playing unranked and decided to chase down a mez who was enacting a "strategic retreat".   So after like 30 seconds of chasing him all over the map and having nothing land due to block, port away, go invisible, invulnerable, evade(?), I finally time it exactly right and get him.   He complains that superspeed is "over powered".  

I wrote back... port is overpowered.   I suppose he just wanted to be completely unkillable and be free to disengage and re-engage at any time.   Like literally it would have been a totally bad play in any competitive match for me to have hunted him across the map and back and that's what it took to get the kill.

A good mez is basically unbeatable by me, I just try to out rotate them and go somewhere else.   This guy was quite good... Tolkien underfoot or something.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, shion.2084 said:

I was playing unranked and decided to chase down a mez who was enacting a "strategic retreat".   So after like 30 seconds of chasing him all over the map and having nothing land due to block, port away, go invisible, invulnerable, evade(?), I finally time it exactly right and get him.   He complains that superspeed is "over powered".  

I wrote back... port is overpowered.   I suppose he just wanted to be completely unkillable and be free to disengage and re-engage at any time.   Like literally it would have been a totally bad play in any competitive match for me to have hunted him across the map and back and that's what it took to get the kill.

A good mez is basically unbeatable by me, I just try to out rotate them and go somewhere else.   This guy was quite good... Tolkien underfoot or something.

He should learn d/p daredevil then.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, aranyics.8256 said:

I'm trying holosmith now, and I find it very hard to survive, I dont have invulns. I have a stun break and a heal, and some sort of shield, but really... where is the survive button on this thing? What are you other holos doing?

What build are you using?

The tools holo build comes with 3 blocks in the kit: shield 5, toolkit 4, photon wall (utility skill).
Then you also get a projectile reflect on shield 4, in case you have to defend against ranged attackers only.

But yeah, that's pretty much it. With good kiting you can survive quite some time with these 3 blocks, tho.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

What build are you using?

The tools holo build comes with 3 blocks in the kit: shield 5, toolkit 4, photon wall (utility skill).
Then you also get a projectile reflect on shield 4, in case you have to defend against ranged attackers only.

But yeah, that's pretty much it. With good kiting you can survive quite some time with these 3 blocks, tho.

I'm trying this now:

GW2 | HOLOSMITH PvP BUFFS ARE FANTASTIC - YouTube

3 hours ago, shion.2084 said:

He doesn't even run Virtuoso, he runs Core Mesmer.

He has only a small fraction of the potential defenses Virtuoso can front.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

He doesn't even run Virtuoso, he runs Core Mesmer.

He has only a small fraction of the potential defenses Virtuoso can front.

Yeah I know... and still that hard to pin down... I should have mentioned.   He might have been chrono... can't recall.  That or core

How to fix this: get a scrapper stealth yourself and oneshot His kitten before He can even react xD!

I could See nee mAT been Omega Clown Fiesta with scrappers and Hammer catas only where both Teams are running around Points and spaming broken Skills Just to random oneshot enemys Team ..... Kekw you hear it here First xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

Someone here just got Virtuoso'd in their face.

Pretty sure this applies to guardian, ele, other mesmer elites maybe even if you decide to nitpicky  vindicator and spellbreaker but for these you can still get attacks in.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

this is guardian, ele, warrior, virt, and vindi. 

3 hours ago, aranyics.8256 said:

I'm trying holosmith now, and I find it very hard to survive, I dont have invulns. I have a stun break and a heal, and some sort of shield, but really... where is the survive button on this thing? What are you other holos doing?

to survive with holo your offense is your defense. you force them defensive by doing insane damage and lots of CC. your defensives are both shield blocks, photon wall, and tool kit block. then disengaging and using your burst again.

i have a really hard time beating a great holo no matter what i play. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Eddie.9143 said:

this is guardian, ele, warrior, virt, and vindi. 

to survive with holo your offense is your defense. you force them defensive by doing insane damage and lots of CC. your defensives are both shield blocks, photon wall, and tool kit block. then disengaging and using your burst again.

i have a really hard time beating a great holo no matter what i play. 

Holosmith is the best 1v1 duelist class in the game by wide margin.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, aranyics.8256 said:

Well, that certainly explains why you feel so defenseless.

Your only defensive cooldown in that build is photon wall. Rifle is defenseless, rifle turret doesn't provide any either. The low cooldown toolbelt skills might be fun for frequent bursting thanks to static discharge, but making yourself open that much for attacks is not worth it imo.

I personally recommend this build: sword tools holo

More personal defense thanks to 2 additional blocks, as I have described before. Amazing burst potential. Really good condi cleanse (coolant blast toolbelt skill cleanses up to 6 conditions on high heat! and every other toolbelt skill cleanses one, too). Great CC to keep enemies stunlocked, including 2 unblockable CCs (magnet, aka toolkit 5 and prime light beam).

It is a really great build and will increase your survivability alot.

If you want a bit more burst damage, you can also swap out blast shield with aim-assisted rocket.

Edited by Kodama.6453
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Eddie.9143 said:

Yes, this was my impression as well, get in for some damage and then disengage

11 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Well, that certainly explains why you feel so defenseless.

Your only defensive cooldown in that build is photon wall. Rifle is defenseless, rifle turret doesn't provide any either. The low cooldown toolbelt skills might be fun for frequent bursting thanks to static discharge, but making yourself open that much for attacks is not worth it imo.

I personally recommend this build: sword tools holo

More personal defense thanks to 2 additional blocks, as I have described before. Amazing burst potential. Really good condi cleanse (coolant blast toolbelt skill cleanses up to 6 conditions on high heat! and every other toolbelt skill cleanses one, too). Great CC to keep enemies stunlocked, including 2 unblockable CCs (magnet, aka toolkit 5 and prime light beam).

It is a really great build and will increase your survivability alot.

If you want a bit more burst damage, you can also swap out blast shield with aim-assisted rocket.

Thank you, things are much clearer now. I'll take a look at the build.