Chromium Embedded Framework Host for Guild Wars 2 stopped to work [Merged]

As per title. After a decade of playing with no issues, suddenly can't even launch the game because new versions of Chromium, that you switched to, do not support Win7.

Considering the game worked perfectly well until now, and I'm still greatly enjoying it, "really bloody annoyed" is to put it mildly.

Please provide backward compatibility to the OS the game was launched on, and purchased as supporting.

• Like 5

Same here, I can type in my password, but as soon as I click any button, I can't interact with the launcher anymore.

I tried the close button without putting in my password & it doesn't work either, so all clickable things make it so I have to close the launcher from the start bar or task manager. If it helps, I'm on windows 7.

Edited by Telravyn.2653
Added detail

My problem shows differently. I'm using GW2Launcher to bring my various accounts, and following the update it's no longer playing nicely - the only account that still prefills my userid is (by chance or otherwise) the one I tried to do the game update on, whilst none of them now attempt to insert the password. On a vanilla launch of the game via its own launcher, things work OK.

I'm guessing the underlying cause will be one and the same, but just registering the different problem here for what it's worth.

Edited by Doghouse.1562

Just now, Doghouse.1562 said:

My problem shows differently. I'm using GW2Launcher to bring my various accounts, and following the update it's no longer playing nicely - the only account that still prefills my userid is (by chance or otherwise) the one I tried to do the game update on, whilst none of them now attempt to insert the password. On a vanilla launch of the game via its own launcher, things work OK.

I'm guessing the underlying cause will be one and the same, but just registering the different symptoins here for what it's worth.

Yea launchbuddy dont want to update either I can login with the normal client tho.

2 minutes ago, SyNali.2789 said:

assuming this person is correct, seems the issue is that the version of CEF now used for the launcher does not support windows 7 (unlike either Coherent UI or earlier versions of CEF).

I am on W7 and have the same issue, however Bloodstealer stated above they are on w10, so doesn't seem to be W7 exclusive

Edited by ekkue.3754

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey everyone, I can confirm that people looking into a fix for this. 

In the meantime, a possible workaround is to add -usecoherent to your command line. The GW2 wiki has instructions on command line arguments if you're not familiar with this process. 

Some of you may be running into a separate problem. This does not apply to everyone in this thread, but please note that the game may not launch or work properly after we release a new build if you use a third-party program, due to possible incompatibilities.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, SyNali.2789 said:

windows 7. happens even with anti-virus disabled.

yes, ArenaNet.log in \Guild Wars 2\bin64\cef. looks like this:

App: CefHost.exe
Fatal error (0): Javascript not handled?
Exception Code: 0 (0 0)
When: 3/14/2023 17:08:02
File: D:\Perforce\Feature-Raids\Code\Arena\Tools\CefHost\CefHost.cpp(247)

there is an entry for each time i tried, they all look the same.

A generic error that tells you it came across an error but won't tell you what that error was.  Yuck.

Edited by Chaba.5410