Chromium Embedded Framework Host for Guild Wars 2 stopped to work [Merged]

On 4/18/2023 at 9:07 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hey all, I just want to let you know that we are looking into these issues now. Thank you for flagging the problems and sharing specifics. We are keeping a close eye on this thread, so keep the info coming--dxdiag information will especially be useful as we keep investigating. Thanks for being patient as we work on this!

Thank you, anyway is not a huge deal since i'm using the previous framework thanks to the commend line you provided, that work flawlessy.
Please do not remove the support of DX9 via command line, the game work very good under DX9 with my system. DX11 work but for an unknow reason i can't use full screen mode and the engine refuse the vsync causing massive screen tearing. Thank again.

Edited by Miporin.3529
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, I am Legion.4153 said:

I have win 7 and I guess that's the problem.

And my laptop got weird (as in i couln't play gw2) when i tried the free win 10 so had to go back to win 7. Don't want to risk buying win 11 because of that and can't afford a new computer, probably for several years... 

Can you make the game work for those of us with win 7?

Please?

The workaround for now is to add -usecoherent to the command line.

If your laptop's GPU doesn't fully support DX11, you may also have to add -dx9 to the command line.

I wonder if there is A SINGLE GW2 on Windows 7 player that can run the new Chromium embedded framework. If there are none, I wonder why this error was not caught in the internal testing using the Windows 7 OS that is still under support for GW2. If there are some who can and some who can't then I'm interested in what the difference if in their systems.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
Forgot to add Windows 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I wonder if there is A SINGLE GW2 player that can run the new Chromium embedded framework. If there are none, I wonder why this error was not caught in the internal testing using the Windows 7 OS that is still under support for GW2. If there are some who can and some who can't then I'm interested in what the difference if in their systems.

Do you mean 'A SINGLE GW2 player' on Windows 7?  Because I have no issue on Win10. 

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Sabrana.4015 said:

Today's update didn't change anything for me. Launcher freezes every time I enter my password.

Thanks Anet for working on it 🙂

There was an update today?  Did you mean the Shimmerwing 'fix'?  Have you tried the suggested Command Line Arguments?  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Axelteas.7192 said:

I've downloaded Direct X 9, 10,11,12 and updated my nvidia drivers.

When I clic play the launcher crashes with the message Unable to initialize 3D output...

Here's what you do:

Run dxdiag.
Locate "feature levels" in the display tab.
Verify that feature level 11_0 at least is listed.

If you don't see it listed, your card doesn't fully support all DX11 features even though it may claim to work with DX11 (it may only show up to feature level 10).  You will need to add the -dx9 command line.

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/help/connectivity-and-performance/article/identifying-the-directx-feature-level-your-graphics-card-supports/000079167

Edited by Chaba.5410

13 minutes ago, tippolit.3591 said:

Running Windows 11. This issue was fixed for me as of yesterday and was fine this morning but it returned with today's update. Very annoying. It also causes an "error network access denied" when I try to use the trading post.  

Check that GuildWars2\bin64\cef\CefHost.exe has access to the internet in your personal firewall. If you use a firewall that gives popup windows there may be a popup hidden behind the Guild Wars 2 fullscreen client requesting access to this new process.

19 minutes ago, tippolit.3591 said:

Running Windows 11. This issue was fixed for me as of yesterday and was fine this morning but it returned with today's update. Very annoying. It also causes an "error network access denied" when I try to use the trading post.  

How was the issue fixed for you yesterday?  Are you using any command lines or compatibility mode settings?

On 4/20/2023 at 1:10 AM, Anapxist.5314 said:

And Final Fantasy 14 still work on win 7 🙂 I have no problem with it so far. Even more Black Desert work on it. So old and outdated game like BDO can support ancient technology, but such modern game as gw2 with next gen graphic and stuff can't 🙂

You got that turned around Black desert online was released 2015 and gw2 2012

So yea a "modern" game like bdo can still support it but an outdated game Gw2 need to cut it to stay relevant mate.

• Confused 1

Windows 11 PC. I also have a Windows 11 laptop, and a Windows 10 PC.
Win 11 PC has two installations of GW2. One with GW2 Addon updater GW2-UOAOM 1.44., and one clean install. Neither loads the game with CEF. It crashes at the loading screen with an unrecoverable error. Using the -usecoherent switch allows both to load. GW2 addon not working on the installed version.

Win 10 PC has one installation, clean, that only loads with the -usecoherent switch.

Win 11 laptop runs perfectly well under Chromium, with the GW2 Addon manager having no dramas. Loading, character swap, BLTC is fine, and fairly quick.

The April 18 game update borked the game for me on the desktop PCs, the April 19 patch fixed CEF on both, the April 20 Win 7 patch has reborked CEF.

The laptop has been unaffected each time.

All comps have the Nvidia graphics with the most recent drivers. All OS upgrades at current levels.

• Like 1

I can confirm that it now works without the "-usecoherent" paramater. After the recent patch.. I am on Win 7 as well. After logging in I tried to check the trading post / gem store (afaik the only other main thing ingame that should be affected).

Got an "ERR_ABORTED" at the first try. Closing it and trying again it worked though. Seems to load the previews a bit faster for me + the listing when selling/buying in the tp. Feels smoother.

Edit: The "initzializing" when starting the launcher ... seems to take longer than with the coherent though.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

I can confirm that it now works without the "-usecoherent" paramater. After the recent patch.. I am on Win 7 as well. After logging in I tried to check the trading post / gem store (afaik the only other main thing ingame that should be affected).

Got an "ERR_ABORTED" at the first try. Closing it and trying again it worked though. Seems to load the previews a bit faster for me + the listing when selling/buying in the tp. Feels smoother.

Edit: The "initzializing" when starting the launcher ... seems to take longer than with the coherent though.

Same, now it work without using the -usecoherent , but as you said the old framework is more fast aven if the memory usage seems close to each other. Still continue to use the old one since i have the option to do so.

Edited by Miporin.3529
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Axelteas.7192 said:

Please, how can I add the  -dx9 command line  and where.

See the wiki page on command line arguments.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

Here's an example screenshot of what the shortcut looks like with a command line argument: https://imgbb.com/THXhnqF

Edited by Chaba.5410

Also confirming, CEF is launching now on win 7, though there is definitely a longer initialization time on the launcher, coherent takes 5 seconds, chromium around 40 seconds.

Also got the ERR_ABORTED message on Trade Post but second opening loaded it after 5-10 seconds and now loads it all within a 3 second limit.

Thank you devs, great work!

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2023 at 1:07 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hey all, I just want to let you know that we are looking into these issues now. Thank you for flagging the problems and sharing specifics. We are keeping a close eye on this thread, so keep the info coming--dxdiag information will especially be useful as we keep investigating. Thanks for being patient as we work on this!

After today update I am finnally able to log in the game, thank you for solving the issue. I send a ticket inmediately when the problem started, because I was on the game, enjoying the last hours of SAB, I asked on my ticket to please considered not to release a new build that could potentially crash the game or make it unusable at the end of a festival or an event, because it makes it unfair and gives disadvantages to so may players.

Also it would be nice if you bring back SAB for one single day on this weekend, since a lot were affected, can you please considered it? I have been sad and dissapointed for how my festival abruptly ended. I love festivals and that is why I play GW2 waiting for the next and so on, please >.<

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1