Mechanist toolbelt currently available [Not a bug tbh, but a feature]

Zebulon.1850

Mechanists are currently able to use toolbelt skills, F1, 2, 3 and F5. (WvW and PvE only) I don't know if I should actually share how this is done, but anyone can do it, and it cannot be disabled if it is already happening to your character.

I spent a bit of time messing around with this, and it's pretty clear that in the current state of mech, they need to bring toolkit back normally.

There's barely any bump in power or survivability, because of how weak most of the toolbelt skills are.

There are a few troll interactions like playing zerk mech and using nade barrage and jade mortar at the same time to 1 shot anyone, but you have to be pure glass, and the target can't be moving at all.

At the minimum, please bring back toolkit while your mech is away.

Or if anet really wanted, they could make it so using your mech skills or toolbelt makes the corresponding skill go on a short cd.

• Like 6
  • Confused 3

That's pretty neat! I think the biggest thing would be being able to use Med Kit without giving up its main heal. Probably wouldn't be better than the signet in terms of overall effectiveness, but it's nice to mix it up.

Is this a spec/keybind swapping glitch, or is it possibly something form a future patch leaking in?

Edited by coro.3176
  • Like 4

No, it's something incredibly dumb and obvious, so I'm actually surprised I haven't seen people posting about this yet. I'm going to call it spaghetti code leaking, although it is something they changed recently as far as how those toolbelt work.

I'm all for more builds being at least partially viable, even if they don't become meta. Especially with how strong the signets are.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Been around since late last year at least, no way to avoid it, if you have a newer Engi that’s how mechanist works.  It’s a bug, but it’s not some strange exploit people are going out of their way for, it’s just how things are working right now.

I have one Engi this works on, and 3 it doesn’t, the one it works on was made in Nov or Dec iirc.

Yeah, it is a bug that only affects new characters. I'm surprised that reddit thread is 2 mo old, I didn't see anyone else commenting about this recently. I assumed lots of people would have mentioned it. Maybe new players aren't playing mech? Or they can't tell that their toolbelt skills are casting.

That's pretty typical that a bug like that would be going on for months though.

This game is a gem with all those bugs 😆

Whenever they come up with a patch to resolve bugs , a bunch of others appears , like a non ending circle.

Eod release , the giant ice golem from Bjora march was bugged ... how is that even related ? spaghetti code i guess .

Can make a lot of bolognese with this .

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2023 at 7:45 PM, Kuma.1503 said:

They should just make it a feature tbh. My eng can't use the bug, but with trade-offs being lifted, this one can go as well. 

Only the "unnatural" trade-offs are going away and this one... isn't that. You get mech and mech skills in place of the toolbelt. Apparently some people on this forum saw "trade-offs going away!", but choose to ignore the rest of the sentece where it was written.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

10 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Only the "unnatural" trade-offs are going away and this one... isn't that. You get mech and mech skills in place of the toolbelt. Apparently some people on this forum saw "trade-offs going away!", but choose to ignore the rest of the sentece where it was written.

Yeah, that sentence is pretty much just a justification so they can treat classes unfairly. So some classes, like engineer and necromancer, will always keep all their trade offs, while others get it lifted completely.

I would have argued that soulbeast losing pet swap for the fuse mechanic was also a "natural trade off", but they are just completely arbitrary with this term.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Yeah, that sentence is pretty much just a justification so they can treat classes unfairly.

Nothing unfair about that, so no. It should be perfectly understandable what it means unless you simply decide to be in denial because you want to keep piling up more on the class you play.

8 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

I would have argued that soulbeast losing pet swap for the fuse mechanic was also a "natural trade off"

Great, then go argue exactly that.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

• 1 month later...

sorry for the necro, but this is the latest thread i can find about it.

i am still catching up on quite a few things after a longer break and currently playing on my engineer.  i seem to have this bug currently on a character that is several years old, so it does not only affect new characters as stated above in this thread. a quick search didnt really bring up too much fuss about it, so is this going to get fixed or is this indeed a feature and i should learn to optimize around it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

https://imgur.com/a/eXVTgbi

Bravo! This is simply magnificent! Disabling the rendering toolbelt for the Mechanist instead of fully turning it off. And they can't fix this for 7 months.

I don't want to come off as rude or anything like that, no. As someone who's been involved in software development since my school days during the times of Basic/Pascal, I don't want to mix work and hobbies/games. I don't want to think about how everything works inside, cuz it ruins all "magic". I want to enjoy the game. But all these bugs, they're in plain sight, many of them are literally critical, and they go unfixed for years. Some aren't critical, but again, they're noticeable and have already celebrated more than their first anniversary. Take, for example, the Revenant's "49/51" masterpiece.

And considering the fact that all these similar bugs have existed for so long, and how many times the developers have broken the game trying to fix something – it's not hard to imagine what the game's code looks like, at least in many parts of the engine 🤡

Who needs to be tagged so that finally, they can shove the programmers' noses into this... monstrosity (I can't call it code, it's anything but code)? Or to ban me, since that seems to be something one of the moderators here is pretty good at 😁

Edited by Antrix.4512
  • Like 3

@Rubi Bayer.8493 To be honest, I don't know who among you can be tagged, so I apologize if I got it a bit wrong. But one way or another - could we see some response from the development team regarding this issue? It has been no less than 7 months now, and there's still no information (at least I can't find anything about it). Can you tell us whether to expect a fix in the next few years or perhaps it's already been fixed in SotO? It would be great if your players were kept in the loop about such things.

• Like 3

Dear @Rubi Bayer.8493!

I'll start by saying that we all understand that dealing with criticism can be more challenging than with praise, something you yourself acknowledged here. We see many complaints, sarcasm, and at times it seems that the relationship between developers and players is becoming more strained. However, it's essential to understand that this criticism doesn't grow from nothing.

As I mentioned in my previous messages, the issue at hand involves engineers and has remained unresolved for seven months now. I saw your response in that thread where another player was praising the new expansion, and it got me thinking about a certain imbalance in communication with the community.

Perhaps it appears as "duplicity" but I believe there's a more accurate term to describe this. Our complaints, our requests for fixes, our discontent — they all stem from not our disdain for Guild Wars 2 but rather our deep attachment to the game. If we didn't care, we would have moved on to another MMO.

It's time to look at this matter from another perspective. It's time to mend relations with players, stop nerfing classes unjustifiably, and start addressing bugs. This is vital not just for us, the players, but for the overall health of the game. Genuine dialogue and constructive engagement with the community can only bring benefits.

I sincerely urge you to consider this matter and provide us, your players, with feedback regarding the critical bug that awaits resolution.

Edited by Antrix.4512
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...