SAB graphics, is it just me?

raykor.6723

I have absolutely nothing against the retro theme of the SAB event graphics. But they make me physically nauseous. I have no idea why. I have all the event achievements done for all the events except SAB. I have tried for several years and I just can't do it. Super curious if anyone else has experienced the same nausea?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Nothing here, but I haven't done the event since the very first SAB ever.

I am known to get sea sickness on medium size (think fishing boats) on windy days also, but have been fine on small boats and 80' yachts. Figured that may be kind of relevant.

Edited by Ashen.4061
  • Confused 2

Not just you. I get pretty woozy, too. I think it's because everything is a) almost uniformly bright (turning down graphics settings does not help), and b) often moving in jerky stop-motion. I can't play SAB for very long before I get a splitting headache...thank goodness for Infantile Mode, where I can just bullrush past everything in short order.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

No, it's not just you.  I loathe the graphics with SAB.  Only festival I actively avoid because of it.  It's noxiously bright, and I don't have issues with the explosion of disco ball decorated characters I encounter...just SAB.  Can't stand the clash of it compared to the rest of the game.  And I have to venture into it for the book 😭

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

No, it's not just you.  I loathe the graphics with SAB.  Only festival I actively avoid because of it.  It's noxiously bright, and I don't have issues with the explosion of disco ball decorated characters I encounter...just SAB.  Can't stand the clash of it compared to the rest of the game.  And I have to venture into it for the book 😭

The book is in the lobby so will take you 10 mins max.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Or simply calibrate your monitors properly? 🙂

Adjusting the settings on the monitor definitely help, and also using the night light feature really knocks the edge off the eye strain.  I would highly recommend it, especially if you play before bedtime.  Be kind to your eyes people.  

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Or simply calibrate your monitors properly? 🙂

Yes. Most people don’t realize how overly bright and high contrast monitors are on factory settings.

Once you get used to properly calibrated monitors it’s amazing how garish others look.

• Confused 3

I had to play it with low graphics setting, set down the gamma slider a bit and turned down the brightness of my monitor,

after i reverted everything cause could not play anything else then…

yes its very bright colors. The designer maybe had false tv settings when he played nintendo in his youth thinking that retro games look like this xD

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think bright environment + bright stuff on the screen + dark environment and dark stuff on the screen works well. (No dark mode during the day.) Though I know a lot of people love dark modes in general. (For forum designs and stuff.) And I am too much used to brighter modes - never using dark modes in layout. Even not at the smartphone at night.

For gaming and the screen and calibration ... I noticed I have a lot less headaches after "binge gaming" in general. Not focused on GW2 and/or the SAB now. That after I changed the "color temperature" in general. Which  - I have to be honest - took some time to get used to. (But you can't get used to if changing back immediately when you don't like it at first. Give it some time.)

Used to have 9300K for pretty much a long time. I am 37 yo now and I think it is only some years ago (not before I turned 30 though) ... until I changed this to 6500K.

Edited by Luthan.5236

Turn off post processing and drop the gamma down to 0.75 (on DIrectX 11 it always works, even in a window). You can also use ReShade (or vkBasalt on Linux), to do your own postprocessing stack.

Zoom out your camera and use max FOV, the closer it is the more likely you'll get motion sickness.

The game is designed for an sRGB monitor, and most professional productions target  sRGB (photography, etc.), meaning that if your monitor isn't calibrated, everything will be way too bright. Many monitors are deliberately overly bright to make them look good on store shelves.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 1

I would love for anet to give us some other way of getting skins and achievements. I also struggle a lot with motion sickness in SAB and I never play the content. But I would love to have the funny sab skins and some achievements.

Even if I would have to play some other gamemode or idk. Afk for x hours to get the achievement.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

Turn off post processing and drop the gamma down to 0.75 (on DIrectX 11 it always works, even in a window). You can also use ReShade (or vkBasalt on Linux), to do your own postprocessing stack.

Zoom out your camera and use max FOV, the closer it is the more likely you'll get motion sickness.

The game is designed for an sRGB monitor, and most professional productions target  sRGB (photography, etc.), meaning that if your monitor isn't calibrated, everything will be way too bright. Many monitors are deliberately overly bright to make them look good on store shelves.

I'm usually on board for the "is your monitor calibrated" response, but in the clouds above the hub I still find it glaringly bright on a monitor calibrated for professional design work.

I need to mess with the game settings when I get back in.

• Confused 1