May 23 Chrono nerf

ascii.1369

Not sure why I would extpect anything different, I guess I'm just naive. Of course the one Mesmer build that does ok in high level PvP (Chrono bunker) gets a nerf smuggled into a content patch. God forbid Mesmer has a somewhat viable PvP build that sees some play in monthly tournaments.

Edited by ascii.1369
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Was this even good at most levels of play? Feels like it really shined in organized groups (although still significantly worse than some other builds) and fell off pretty hard when you tried to carry pug games with it. To me the nerf comes really out of nowhere.

• Like 3

I'm annoyed by this nerf.

But my understanding is the Alacrity generation was not the purpose behind using the Wells in the bunker build.

My understanding was the actual well effects themselves were a good area denial tool... Hence it being a bunker.

To be able to capture a flag the enemies have to fight through the overlapping conditions from many Wells on the point and fight through the conditions to kill the Chronomancer.

Yes it's annoying about the Alac nerf but does it actually kill the build at all?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Roadkizzle.2157 said:

Yes it's annoying about the Alac nerf but does it actually kill the build at all?

I don't think it kills it, but it weakens it. You have to remember that every well is both area denial and a heal in this build. With less alac you can cast all of them less often, which means both less area denial and less sustain. How large the impact is we'll have to see in practice I guess. But the nerf seems unwarranted to me.

Edited by ascii.1369
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

It is kind of astounding how quickly this is addressed while catalyst was running rampant for months and is still in a league of it's own for duelling in PvP.

10 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Yes, and we know who, and there's proof. We just can't talk about it cause those posts get removed and people get banned.

I've asked @Xenesis.6389 if he can DM me a link to the proof before and it's open to anyone but no-one has been able to prove it. That isn't me saying it's not true, just there's a world of difference between documented evidence and general behaviour that suggests bias.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, apharma.3741 said:

It is kind of astounding how quickly this is addressed while catalyst was running rampant for months and is still in a league of it's own for duelling in PvP.

I've asked @Xenesis.6389 if he can DM me a link to the proof before and it's open to anyone but no-one has been able to prove it. That isn't me saying it's not true, just there's a world of difference between documented evidence and general behaviour that suggests bias.

There were reddit posts of leaks from discord that got removed pretty quickly. I don't know if anyone saved them, but it's not false, i've seen them. I just didn't think to save those in the wayback machine, and neither did a lot of people.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

There were reddit posts of leaks from discord that got removed pretty quickly. I don't know if anyone saved them, but it's not false, i've seen them. I just didn't think to save those in the wayback machine, and neither did a lot of people.

I did see some of the leaks, I think I saved a copy of the PvE leaks but that was mostly to do with buffing staff because a dev found axe harder to play or something. I didn't see anything that suggested a competitive game mode bias against mesmer other than what was warranted at the time.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, apharma.3741 said:

I did see some of the leaks, I think I saved a copy of the PvE leaks but that was mostly to do with buffing staff because a dev found axe harder to play or something. I didn't see anything that suggested a competitive game mode bias against mesmer other than what was warranted at the time.

Yes, there was that one, and others as well.

Still, even if that was the only one, it shows unprofessional personal bias, and the fact that Mirage is still the only one that's below the design minimum of dodges - further reinforces that bias.

Nerfs don't help either.

Especially since Catalyst exists in its current state.

And at this point, there's no argument left why Mesmers are treated this way, there is nothing left to take, yet they take more. What else is there then, other than bias and hate? I don't know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, apharma.3741 said:

Err... when did you ask me? and in what context/thread? 🤨

Do you mean this? https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/77694-doc-mesmer-changes-suggestions-for-cmc/

I'm not part of pvp or was part of any discords. Apparently pvp player coaches got asked to meet on discord, got told to make up some document on suggested changes for the one dodge, crickets afterwards.

New class gets introduced with one dodge, earns a snicker on stream when compared to mirage one dodge. Class gets the one dodge changed to two in a span of eight months, mirage has had theirs for three years and counting.

Chrono had illusionary persona removed for like three years and distortion removed/replaced/returned. What other class gets this many hard changes to their main class mechanic?

Signet of inspiration nerfs. Poorly thought out well and mantra changes to skills and traits. Can't allow mesmers to be a good support class afterall.

Mirage staff get alacrity... for whatever insane reason, then gets nerfed down to practically nothing, might as well not even have it on there. But hey everyone else gets to spam their boons and defenses.

Then there's that whole balance blowup of last year which I will not go into. But I do have the discord chat saved.

And oh look, the two classes that complain about getting nerfed practically every patch... are the only two that got a nerf in this weeks patch, when there's dozens of other broken stuff from other classes they should be adjusting instead, what a coinkydinky... 😏🍿

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Err... when did you ask me? and in what context/thread? 🤨

Do you mean this? https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/77694-doc-mesmer-changes-suggestions-for-cmc/

I'm not part of pvp or was part of any discords. Apparently pvp player coaches got asked to meet on discord, got told to make up some document on suggested changes for the one dodge, crickets afterwards.

New class gets introduced with one dodge, earns a snicker on stream when compared to mirage one dodge. Class gets the one dodge changed to two in a span of eight months, mirage has had theirs for three years and counting.

Chrono had illusionary persona removed for like three years and distortion removed/replaced/returned. What other class gets this many hard changes to their main class mechanic?

Signet of inspiration nerfs. Poorly thought out well and mantra changes to skills and traits. Can't allow mesmers to be a good support class afterall.

Mirage staff get alacrity... for whatever insane reason, then gets nerfed down to practically nothing, might as well not even have it on there. But hey everyone else gets to spam their boons and defenses.

Then there's that whole balance blowup of last year which I will not go into. But I do have the discord chat saved.

And oh look, the two classes that complain about getting nerfed practically every patch... are the only two that got a nerf in this weeks patch, when there's dozens of other broken stuff from other classes they should be adjusting instead, what a coinkydinky... 😏🍿

Honestly, I can't remember, I know it sort of died off after asking so might not have registered for you.
I'm aware of all the stuff that's happened and how the balance team seems to be able to improve other classes but similar aspects on mesmer get left for years. The alacrity nerf to hit down the current bunker chrono and untamed but leaving catalyst in it's still very strong state is questionable.

I guess if there is explicit or easily inferred bias towards mesmer it's likely hidden. I do know one Twitch streamer was instrumental in the dominance of necro and toning down of thief and mesmer for years. That many of the players in the PvP section of the private discord have been making "good suggestions" that favour certain classes and match ups that may not be beneficial to classes many people dislike and don't understand.

I can have a hunt and see if I do have the PvE stuff, but honestly I feel the comment of "I put alacrity onto staff because I'm bad at the game" was blown way out of proportion. Especially if you look at mechanist and the absurdity of how it provides everything so easily.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 7:52 PM, apharma.3741 said:

Honestly, I can't remember, I know it sort of died off after asking so might not have registered for you.
I'm aware of all the stuff that's happened and how the balance team seems to be able to improve other classes but similar aspects on mesmer get left for years. The alacrity nerf to hit down the current bunker chrono and untamed but leaving catalyst in it's still very strong state is questionable.

I guess if there is explicit or easily inferred bias towards mesmer it's likely hidden. I do know one Twitch streamer was instrumental in the dominance of necro and toning down of thief and mesmer for years. That many of the players in the PvP section of the private discord have been making "good suggestions" that favour certain classes and match ups that may not be beneficial to classes many people dislike and don't understand.

I can have a hunt and see if I do have the PvE stuff, but honestly I feel the comment of "I put alacrity onto staff because I'm bad at the game" was blown way out of proportion. Especially if you look at mechanist and the absurdity of how it provides everything so easily.

lil bro had to make changes to soulbeast, but he didnt know what soulbeast skills do so he had to use wiki.
then they had to go and buff half the kittening skills after he was done nerfing LUL
also lil bro only used axe on firebrand because weapon-swapping to staff/scepter was too hard for him.
also lil bro was fine with mirage axe being buggy mess, he doesnt like the weapon so he buffed staff instead.
lule

Edited by Leonidrex.5649
  • Like 2

what u mean that one build that does ok

bunker chrono is basically the does it all top tier build

and power chrono has multiple mAT entrances, that would be the does it decent build.

an ok build is a build that does ok, has some presence but in the end can not enter finals.

bunker chrono is the build that can team fight, can hold side node, can 1v1, can support.

Edited by felix.2386
  • Confused 4

What it all boils down to ...

The creators neither understand their creation, nor do they play it.

The player base - outside of what I've observed to be a relatively small minority - does not understand the class. And out of those who do give the mesmer & elites a go, few will do so in all game modes. Good mesmers, those played by dedicated players, do stand out ... And are feared and loathed for gameplay the vast majority of the player base - and the devs themselves - are unwilling to take the time to learn and understand. Just easier to decry the unfairness of it all, and "keep the class in check" with regular use of the nerf bat.

Until the above climate changes, we really can't expect anything consistent for the class. Particularly not anything good.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Leonidrex.5649 said:

lil bro had to make changes to soulbeast, but he didnt know what soulbeast skills do so he had to use wiki.
then they had to go and buff half the kittening skills after he was done nerfing LUL
also lil bro only used axe on firebrand because weapon-swapping to staff/scepter was too hard for him.
also lil bro was fine with mirage axe being buggy mess, he doesnt like the weapon so he buffed staff instead.
lule

Oh I have and seen all those but it's all PvE stuff. The juicy leaks are when some PvP guy gets permabanned and leaks the PvP Discord xD

• Like 1