WvW Defense Achievements impossible now!

Another great example that Anet does not test their changes to the game AT ALL!

All defense achievements are completely impossible since repairing walls doesn't count anymore! Killing 10 players outside the walls? Nope, doesn't count! Rezzing a lord or guards? Lmao no!

Destroying enemy siege? Hahaha no...

The f*** Anet?!? Do you ever listen to players feedback or get at least 2-3 people to test your changes? Now it's either completely random with a very very VERY small chance to get points towards defense or your broken code just makes it impossible!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

26 minutes ago, Kirigaya Kazuto.8547 said:

All defense achievements are completely impossible since repairing walls doesn't count anymore! Killing 10 players outside the walls? Nope, doesn't count! Rezzing a lord or guards?

No, they are not completely impossible. Killing enemy players inside your own tower/keep/castle works quite well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Best way to get defender:

1.) Attack a structure

2.) Down anyone inside, but don't kill them (til it flips)

3.) Make sure the guards aggro on them first, and then finish them

To make this easier, don't actually defend anything so it's easier to capture things.

But yea, it's a pretty bad system.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zok.4956 said:

No, they are not completely impossible. Killing enemy players inside your own tower/keep/castle works quite well.

Nope, it does not. Killed like 3-4 in lords room in keep and no defense progression. Enemies need either to hit guards or be marked, may be some more conditions. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kirigaya Kazuto.8547 said:

Exactly what we did today many times and not a single point towards defense achievements.

Strange. Works always for me, for weeks now, when I kill enemies inside (they were tagged and killed inside). Where you solo or in a squad? DPS too low, maybe?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Get inside an omega siege golem and press skill 1 a few times to hit gamers with range punches. Hop out and do whatever.  I've had no issues getting this elusive credit by doing this. I've repeated this process daily for a long time.  It works.  Using sige golems seems to get you credit. 

Edited by Megastorm.6219

57 minutes ago, Vavume.8065 said:

I don't think you understand the meaning of "impossible" I have no trouble getting defence achievements done.

Ok then explain exactly what you do for the tower defense achievement "Stopped Them Cold"? I did absolutelsy everything possible you could do for hours and not a single point towards this stupid broken achievment earned. Killed attackers, destroyed enemy siege weapons, built our teams siege to defend, revived guards and even lord of the objective, repaired walls and gate... absolutely nothing counts towards the achievement!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

It is exactly that reason why the achievement is nigh impossible to attain for Towers. In a nutshell, I believe you have to:

1. Kill a baddie INSIDE the  tower
  2. Hold the tower for 3+ minutes until the timer expires

As a rule of thumb, if a zerg is INSIDE a tower then it is very likely they will cap in less than a minute, meaning you do not get the achievement.

Sad example 1: I defended Anzalias for 1 hour, zerg vs zerg, getting 100+ kills using an arrow cart INSIDE the tower. Walls were down for like 45 minutes. But since the baddies I killed were OUTSIDE the tower that hour did not count for the achievement.

Sad example 2: I defended Redlake for like 5 minutes alone vs 3 guys with a single catapult. I used an arrow cart first, then when it was destroyed I repaired faster that the baddies could harm the wall. I made constant calls for help. Then a commander heard my plea and charged, but the foes warped out before they could be killed. Result? Since I did not land a kill I LOST participation and no defence achievement.

For keeps, it is a joke: any comped zerg will try to bag farm, so you simply need to kill someone at the tail.

Edited by Meva.8327
typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Meva.8327 said:

It is exactly that reason why the achievement is nigh impossible to attain for Towers. In a nutshell, I believe you have to:

The kill(s) don't need to happen inside the tower, just within the active defense event range. But you gotta do more than just tag, the required dmg sems to be higher than for regular kill credit or participation.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

Killing enemy players inside your own tower/keep/castle gives you at least a 25% chance to get credit.

-- FTFY

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aerthan.1907 said:

This is not true. Oddly enough you can still get credit for a defense if it flips. In fact you get it even faster than waiting for the timer.

Unfortunately, I have defended 10+ times Redlake alone, then when a havoc enters and flips it I do not get the defence achievement. In consequence, your suggestion does not work in practice for me.

EDIT: I have tried to get a hit on the entering havoc (I die and run back), or jump out but stay within the popup defence range. None of these actions have given me the defence achievement, ever.

Edited by Meva.8327
typo

17 hours ago, Zyreva.1078 said:

The kill(s) don't need to happen inside the tower, just within the active defense event range. But you gotta do more than just tag, the required dmg sems to be higher than for regular kill credit or participation.

Not for me, unfortunately.

I frequently camp Redlake for defence. I have killed a lot of roamers outside of the tower, even with the help of the sentries at the door, and zero achievement.

EDIT: Today at reset I was fleeing from 3 baddies at Quentin Lake. I got killed before I could enter the tower. The baddies used AoEs that hit the door. I died. The baddies fled towards Danelon Passage but were killed. After 3 minutes I got the defence achievement.
I strongly suspect that the algorithm requires the baddie to HIT THE TOWER, not only the sentries, AND DIE.

Edited by Meva.8327
new evidence

On 5/26/2023 at 6:50 AM, Meva.8327 said:

Another way to get credit: If you are flipping a tower (keep, castle) and there are defenders, don't kill all of them, let a few live (or in downstate, or immobilized, so they can not run away out of the tower) and kill them after you flipped the tower. Gives credit 100% of the time for me.

I've posted elsewhere that there is a simple way to partially fix this issue. The game is already tracking who is going to get credit for capture, because you can get that even if you're miles away when the capture happens. So all you need to do is give defence credit for anyone that contributes to a kill of anyone that has capture credit pending.

It won't solve all the issues, but at least it means if you're killing those guys with catas/trebs that aren't close to the tower/keep/castle you can get defender credit. And because it's using existing processes, it should be pretty easy to code.

30 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

Another way to get credit: If you are flipping a tower (keep, castle) and there are defenders, don't kill all of them, let a few live (or in downstate, or immobilized, so they can not run away out of the tower) and kill them after you flipped the tower. Gives credit 100% of the time for me.

True. But it requires me to kill a baddie right after we flip the tower.

So essentially, if I play zergling and ATTACK AND CAP a tower I can get the tower defender achievement "by accident" without even trying, but if I am fully commited to defend I do not get the DEFENDER achievement. Seems like irony.

Therefore, the point from the OP stands: if I am defending a tower alone, killing catas/rams and repairing walls/door, I do not get credit. Hey, even killing foes outside of the tower BUT with the "defend the tower" popup active does not give me the achievement.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Meva.8327 said:

So essentially, if I play zergling and ATTACK AND CAP a tower I can get the tower defender achievement "by accident" without even trying, but if I am fully commited to defend I do not get the DEFENDER achievement. Seems like irony.

Yes, it's bad design.

18 minutes ago, Meva.8327 said:

Therefore, the point from the OP stands: if I am defending a tower alone, killing catas/rams and repairing walls/door, I do not get credit. Hey, even killing foes outside of the tower BUT with the "defend the tower" popup active does not give me the achievement.

No one is defending the bad design of the defender-achievement. We already had the discussion about the bad design weeks ago, when it was released/changed.

But the point of the OP was, that it's impossible now. But it is not. There are ways of playing where you can still get credit (more or less) reliably.

I've killed one enemy player inside a tower and got nothing towards progress. Why is it if you kill someone outside the wall that obviously was or is attacking the tower you get nothing??? I for one am fed up with what WvW has become. Not just because of this, but also because of the lack of participation on my server. No guilds, no teamwork. Last few days I haven't been able to do damage against enemy players let alone kill them, no matter the setting, map or area. Does Anet even know what is going on in WvW????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

Yes, it's bad design.

No one is defending the bad design of the defender-achievement. We already had the discussion about the bad design weeks ago, when it was released/changed.

But the point of the OP was, that it's impossible now. But it is not. There are ways of playing where you can still get credit (more or less) reliably.

Oh plenty are defending it, some in this very thread.

The only reason a lot of us aren't concerned with the Defense Achievements is simply put,
1. We can complete weekly WvW without them so we don't care.
2. We either alrdy obtained the Defense Achievements or have given up on them altogether.
3. Some people really dislike other players wasting supplies repairing walls and taking up space causing ques, therefore they wud rather have the Defense side of WvW kitten , to achieve less ques and more supplies.
4. Actually clueless, because they play in a zerg and have never scouted in their entire time of playing WvW, or are just obstinate.

Obviously, calling Defense Achievements impossible is just exaggerated language.
But as futile as posting on the forums may be...if these posts get referenced on Twitter/streams where the devs actually pay attention, there's a small chance of something being done, rather than letting this issue become buried, and thus devs never see it and never have to act on it.

• Like 1